Do you also have Christmas cactus or Christmas cacti in your home or did someone give you a Christmas cactus as a present this holiday season? Are you worried if it is safe for everyone around and as pet owners, including your beloved pet dog? Does it make you wonder Are Christmas Cactus Poisonous to Dogs? Don’t worry as this article will tell you everything about whether this holiday plant is poisonous to dogs or not.
Christmas cactus or Schlumbergera Buckleyi, unlike other cactus plants, have elongated leaves that end in pink or red flowers. They are often confused with Thanksgiving cactus, which have toothed ends in each leaf. Both of these plants are often given as a token of gift during the holiday season.
1. Are Christmas Cactus Poisonous to Dogs?
The simple answer is no. This plant is non-toxic to your dog. Dogs often tend to eat anything and everything and a new thing always creates more curiosity, regardless if it is a mere plant. If your pet likes to chew on it, or grazes it with its teeth and skin, you need not be worried. Christmas cactus does not contain poisonous or toxic ingredients in them. However, this does not mean that it might not be harmless to your pet. As the Christmas cactus contains fibrous plant material, consuming a large amount of it can result in it being harmful to your dog.
2. How is Christmas Cactus Harmful to Dogs?
The fibrous material of the cactus can irritate your dog after ingestion. This may also cause other problems like stomach issues or allergic reactions.
2.1. Gastrointestinal Problems
Your pet may develop stomach issues like constipation or diarrhea. There are also chances of them vomiting or getting nauseous because of consuming a large amount of Christmas cactus. These curious creatures tend to get gut issues as their digestion might speed up or slow down because of consuming too much fiber. These are temporary problems and usually get better on their own, however, if your pet is extra sensitive to stomach irritations, it’s better to check it up with the veterinarian.
2.2. Fever and Lethargy
Along with having allergic reactions to Christmas cactus, in the form of stomach problems, your pet may also get extra sleepy due to consuming too much of this cactus. Your dog may also develop a fever if it is allergic to Christmas cactus and consumes it accidentally or without you watching.
3. What to Do if My Dog Eats Christmas Cactus?
If you see your dog, taste-testing or directly eating a Christmas cactus, and even though it is not directly poisonous to dogs, keep the following advice in mind:
3.1. Don’t Panic
Pets are always curious. Dogs are especially known to be interested in new things like children. First of all, if your dog or dogs have accidentally ingested Christmas cactus, don’t panic. Remind yourself that it is not poisonous to dogs. It may be mildly toxic to them at most. It cannot kill your pet so calm down before getting into action.
3.2. Call a Veterinarian
Now, the most important thing to do is to inform the veterinarian doctor or any local vet ASAP. Tell them the details and report everything. If you notice any of the symptoms or negative effects of consuming the Christmas cactus, call the vet as quickly as you can. You might be suggested to bring it in even if your pet is too young or too old or suffering from other health issues or diseases. It’s always better to be on the safe side, specifically dealing with the health and life of a loved one.
Also, check out: https://icytales.com/what-to-do-if-your-dog-eats-weed/
4. Other Holiday Plants Toxic For Dogs and Cats
Even though Christmas cactus does not contain any poisonous materials to dogs, there are other plants of the holiday season that you would like to keep away from your pets for good reasons. The following are dangerous, poisonous plants for your dogs and cats.
The holiday plant that symbolizes love, may not be so lovely to your dogs and cats. Mistletoes are known to cause oral irritation to many animals including the most common domestic pets.
4.2. Christmas Tree
The Christmas tree, around which the entire holidays revolve, is also toxic to pets. They tend to cause oral irritation to them and hence, pet owners should be extra careful during this time. It is best to use an artificial Christmas tree to be on the safer side.
These plants used to decorate should be always kept out of reach of your furry companion. Better use artificial ones, as these plants contain mild to moderate toxins very very harmful to dogs and cats. The leaves, as well as their berries, are poisonous to dogs and cats.
The flowers and buds of this plant are harmful to pets. This also causes oral irritation in the mouth and lips if the flowers or buds of this plant are consumed. It is best to avoid them if you own pets and stay on the safe side.
This household plant is moderately toxic to dogs and cats. This may result in your pet vomiting or having other intestinal short-term problems. It is safer than a lot of other plants mentioned in the list above but it is always better to keep an eye open when having pets around such a plant.
However, many more plants are toxic to your pet if consumed. They might be a little too mild and toxic and should possibly be kept away from them. Most of them cause either stomach irritation, oral irritation, or organ dysfunction.
Remember, Christmas ccactiaren’t poisonous to dogs so it’s okay to keep them in your home, this holiday season. However, do remember to keep it in a safe space and don’t let your pets get too close to this plant as well as other toxic holiday plants.