Meatloaf is a baked or smoked ground beef meal that has been formed into a loaf with certain toppings. Meatloaf is often cooked with pig and ground beef, although other meats such as veal, lamb, chicken, and turkey can also be used.
It is regarded as a dish from the United States. The ultimate American dish is a serving of meatloaf with mashed potatoes. This is a popular meal in the United States, and we’ve got the best meatloaf recipes for you to try this holiday. It’s challenging to locate an American restaurant that doesn’t serve this meal.
The Most Delicious Meatloaf Recipes
Let’s get started with one of the classic and best meatloaf recipes.
This is a simple meatloaf recipe. It won’t take long to prepare and may be used for any occasion. It’s a terrific meal for a Sunday dinner. It is a loaf-shaped beef that has been baked or smoked. In certain countries, such as Vietnam, meatloaf is boiled rather than baked or smoked.
On the other hand, beef is the ideal option for preparing the best meatloaf recipes. In some areas, pork and beef are blended in equal proportions.
This delicious homemade meatloaf dish has a sweet and tangy topping and is soft and juicy on the inside. This is a typical meatloaf cooked with ground beef, breadcrumbs, onions, and seasonings that are properly balanced.
1. Traditional Way
One of the best meatloaf recipes would be making it the traditional way.
It’s a classic meatloaf made with ground beef, breadcrumbs, onions, spices, and a ketchup-based sauce. Without a doubt, this is one of the best meatloaf recipes you’ll ever cook.
1.1. Ingredients for The Best Meatloaf Recipes
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup bread crumbs, dry
Half a cup of milk
Single huge egg
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon basil, 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
1.2. Instructions for The Best Meatloaf Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13 pan lightly.
- Combine the meat, panko bread crumbs, onion, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder, & pepper in a large bowl. Mash and mix these ingredients with your hands until thoroughly blended.
- Next, add the meat mixture into the loaf pan. Form the meat into an equal layer by patting it down.
- Take 1/4 cup ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar in a small bowl to blend, and stir everything together. Pour the sauce over the meatloaf and spread it out evenly.
- Form the meat into a loaf and place it in the prepared baking pan.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400°F and bake for 15 minutes, or until the meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 8-10 minutes before serving.
2. The Classic Best Meatloaf Recipes
This quick meatloaf recipe is one of our favorites since it makes it delicious and a substantial meal or a fantastic meatloaf sandwich with no work. And after you’ve mastered the best meatloaf recipe, you can customize it to make it your way. One of the best meatloaf recipes would be making it the classic way.
Consider wacky glazes, wrapping the entire thing in bacon, or substituting another ground beef for part of the approved meats.
Tip: Replace 1 pound of ground beef with 1 pound of spicy Italian sausage. Before combining, remove the casing and crush the sausage flesh.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl & stir until well blended. Use your hands to mix it well.
- Season with as much salt and pepper as you desire. A generous sprinkling of each should be enough.
- You may create one large bread or two mini loaves from your mixture. In any case, lay your loaf/loaves on a baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven for 1 big loaf. Reduce the cooking time to 45 minutes if making two smaller loaves.
- Top the loaf/loaves with chili sauce and ketchup halfway through cooking for an effortless glaze.
2.1 Some Pointers to Preparing the Best Meatloaf Recipes
- Using beef to make meatloaf is fantastic. It binds the mixture together, improves its texture, and adds a pleasant taste. On the other hand, adding ground pork (specifically, lean meat) will increase the juiciness of the loaf.
- At the same time, ground veal will give the bread a lighter texture. Using lean chicken or turkey can significantly lower the calorie and fat content.
- Add barbecue sauce to the loaf before it’s completed baking to add extra flavor and scent.
- Before baking, sprinkle some bacon on top of the meatloaf.
- Cover the loaf pan with foil or parchment paper. It makes it easy to remove the bread after it’s finished.
- Use cracker crumbs or soft bread crumbs instead. Instead of the dry bread crumbs, this makes it more attractive.
- Carefully combine the meat. Please give it a thorough mix because this is a moist meatloaf recipe; undermixing may result in a meatloaf that is overly soft/mushy.
- Remove the meatloaf from the pan with two thin spatulas and place it on a cutting board. You may either slice and serve the meatloaf directly from the loaf pan or line the pan with parchment paper for easier removal.
1/10th of a meatloaf | 164kcal | 14.8g carbs | 11.7g protein | 5.7g fat | 2.2g saturated fat | 49.9mg cholesterol | 399.3mg sodium | 0.6g fiber | 6.7g brown sugar
Nothing surpasses a classic meatloaf when it comes to comfort meals. If you don’t already have a great recipe, we suggest this one, ‘best meatloaf recipes‘. This is the well-seasoned, down-home version you remember from far back.
It eliminates any time-consuming processes and prevents the need for unusual components. So, make this fabulous recipe the next time you desire mama’s cooking or need a family-pleasing meal.
3. Chicken Meatloaf
This Chicken Meatloaf is the simplest comfort dish and one of the best meatloaf recipes you’ll ever cook! Ground chicken is combined with various ingredients, including Parmesan and Worcestershire sauce, to create a moist, filling, and delectably glazed loaf.
Chicken Meatloaf is a delightful dish with much-desired leftovers (if there are any!). The meatloaf mixture is brimming with rich flavors and makes a delectable feast with no effort!
3.1. Why Is This Chicken Meatloaf One of the Best Meatloaf Recipes?
Quite flavorful. Nothing is more frustrating than a boring meatloaf, and this is not one but one of best meatloaf recipes! This dish is seasoned with garlic powder, parsley, and parmesan and provides a powerful flavor punch.
This meatloaf is covered with a beautiful glaze that is sweet and tangy from the brown sugar and ketchup. The thick Worcestershire sauce adds a great depth of flavor as well.
A simple meatloaf. A quick evening or weekend supper that takes only 10 minutes to prepare and bake.
3.2. Preparation for The Best Meatloaf Recipes
Make the meatloaf filling. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Then, add the wet ingredients to the mix and whisk to combine.
3.2.1. Prepare the Glaze
Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
Spoon the glaze into a loaf pan, add the chicken mixture and finish with extra glaze. Then bake it.
4. What Goes Well with Chicken Meatloaf?
This meatloaf is a hearty main dish and the best meatloaf recipes. Serve with mashed potatoes or roasted sweet potatoes to round off the meal. Why not use roasted vegetables for some veggies? Add them to the meatloaf throughout the cooking process, and you’re ready to go!
5. Is It Possible for Me to Prepare the Best Meatloaf Recipe Ahead of Time?
Prepare your loaf and refrigerate; it will keep in the fridge for up to a day before cooking.
If the ground chicken hasn’t been frozen before, you can store it without the topping for later use. The meatloaf may be frozen for up to four months.
6. What Can You Do with Leftover Meatloaf?
Leftover meatloaf is delicious! It gets savory and can be served as a meal with sides, but why not try something new and smack a slice of meatloaf into a burger bun — amazing!
Leftovers can be frozen for up to four months. Wrap each slice in foil, and placing it in a freezer bag is perfect for removing and re-heating.
Bake uncovered in a preheated oven for 80–90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and the loaf is cooked through.
1-pound minced chicken, 14 cup breadcrumbs, 1 cup milk, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, 1/2 cup shredded parmesan, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, chili sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
6.2. Instructions for The Best Meatloaf Recipes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the ground chicken in a large mixing basin.
- Incorporate all dry ingredients (seasoned breadcrumbs, onion, parmesan, parsley, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, & pepper) in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine. Stir this into the dish with the ground chicken.
- Stir in the remaining wet ingredients (milk, eggs, meatloaf sauce, chili sauce, & Worcestershire sauce).
- Make the glaze in a small bowl by combining the ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Fill the bottom of an 8 x 4″ loaf pan with a couple of teaspoons of the glaze. Spread the leftover glaze on the chicken mixture in the loaf pan.
- It’s a clever twist on an American staple that will elevate your meatloaf game to the next level of deliciousness. We packed our Mom’s Classic Meatloaf recipe with mozzarella cheese to create an ooey-gooey new family favorite.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese creates a delicious melted cheese center for the cheese-filled meatloaf recipe. You may also use bricks or shredded mozzarella cheese, but be aware that they will not melt as nicely as the fresh mozzarella cheese balls.
In addition to mozzarella, you may try several varieties of cheese. Cheddar is usually a safe bet, but feel free to branch out with cheeses like pepper jack, paneer, Havarti, gouda, etc.
7. Best Meatloaf Recipes with Bacon Meatloaf
This bacon meatloaf recipe is a winner when it comes to comfort food! This meal, drenched in a delectable meatloaf sauce, is a must-try. This fantastic recipe is rich and flavorful, sure to delight.
This is one of the easiest Bacon Meatloaf Recipes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the oven rack in the middle position. Set a metal rack over a baking sheet and coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Using foil, line a rimmed baking sheet.
7.1. For the Finishing:
Take a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine all topping ingredients, and put them aside.
7.2. For the Meatloaf:
- In a large pan set over medium heat, fry the bacon until the fat renders, ultimately 5-7 minutes. The bacon should be flexible rather than burnt or crispy.
- Next, line a plate with paper towels and slowly place the bacon. After that, place the bacon over a food processor. Pulse the bacon for 30-60 seconds, or until it is coarsely crushed; leave aside.
- Remove all except 2 tablespoons rendered bacon grease from the skillet and place it over medium-low heat. Cook for about 4-6 minutes, turning the onions upside down until you see them turning transparent. Cook for about 30 seconds after adding the minced garlic.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sauteed onion/garlic combination, milk, ketchup, meatloaf sauce, Dijon mustard, oats, eggs, and black pepper. Let it sit undisturbed for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced bacon and ground chuck to a separate large mixing bowl, stirring just until incorporated.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the meat mixture and stir until all ingredients are combined. If you overwork the mixture, the meatloaf will become tough.
- Divide the ingredients into two halves and form each half into an 8x5x3-inch loaf. Place the loaves on the preheated rack (over the baking sheet) and reshape if necessary.
- Distribute half of the topping mixture over each meatloaf. Cook for 50-65 minutes at 350°F, or until the core temperature on an instant-read meat thermometer reaches 160°F, and the juices flow clear.
- Note – If the topping begins to brown too rapidly after 25 minutes, tent the loaves with foil (but not tightly) to prevent burning.
- Place the loaves on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before slicing. And that’s how you make the perfect meatloaf.
8.1. What Is the Key to Some of The Best Meatloaf Recipes?
I believe that utilizing lean ground beef is the key to making delicious meatloaf. You might be wondering, won’t lean ground beef make the meatloaf recipe dry? Not really!
The milk, egg, ketchup, and sliced onion in the meat mixture contribute to the meatloaf’s moist texture and amazing flavors.
8.2. Why Add Milk to It?
The milk soaks into the breadcrumbs, keeping the meatloaf moist. Whole milk is mainly used, but you can use any milk, including non-dairy milk substitutes.
8.3. Which Is Better: Cooking Covered or Uncovered?
To maintain the moisture in the loaf pan, several recipes call for wrapping it with aluminum foil before baking. This is not required in this recipe. It will remain wet. Bake uncovered for the whole 55-minute time period.
8.4 Should I First Sauté the Onions?
In other recipes, sautéed onions are added to the raw meatloaf mixture. This guarantees that the onions are fully cooked and tender. If the onions are sliced tiny enough, they will cook throughout the baking process without sautéing.
There is no need to sauté the onion in this recipe because it is finely sliced. By skipping the sauté stage, you may create the meatloaf faster and easier.
Because it can be made in minutes, this classic meatloaf is ideal for a quick weekday supper.
8.5. How Long Should the Meat Mixture Be Cooked For?
This meatloaf bakes for 55 minutes at 350°F, uncovered. The interior temperature should be 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow the meatloaf to settle for 10 minutes before attempting to slice it so that it retains its form.
8.6. Baking Sheet vs. Loaf Pan
I prefer to use a loaf pan because it holds the glaze properly, and the meat is juicier. You could, however, line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Form the meatloaf into a loaf. Finish with the glaze. Also, bake as usual.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 90 percent lean ground beef.
- Mix in some dry bread crumbs and sliced onion.
- Combine milk, an egg, ketchup, and sauce in a mixing bowl.
- Add the dried parsley, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix it all up thoroughly.
- Take a loaf pan, and fill it halfway with the mixture.
- Spread it out into a thin, equal coating.
8.6.2. The Meatloaf Sauce
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, and red wine vinegar in a mixing dish.
- Whisk until everything is blended.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over the meatloaf.
- Cook it.
- Allow cooling before slicing.
8.7. Can This Be Completed Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Wrap the loaf pan with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Then, while the oven is preheating, uncover it and allow it to come to room temperature.
8.8. Is It Possible to Freeze It?
Yes! According to the instructions, cook meatloaf in a loaf pan and top with the glaze. Freeze the pan, covered.
Keep the frozen meatloaf in the refrigerator to defrost for at least 24 hours before baking. Then, while the oven is preheating, uncover it and allow it to come to room temperature.
8.9. Why Does Meatloaf Fall Apart?
It’s possible that you didn’t use enough binding ingredients. Another reason might be overbaking breadcrumbs.
If your meatloaf falls apart, let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing it. Slicing it while it’s soft and hot might be another reason it falls apart.
So now you have the best meatloaf recipes with you. Try these recipes as soon as possible.