A bow pose is one of the most famous and beneficial poses of yoga. We also identify this pose as a Dhanurasana. Yoga has been a part of India for a very long time and it can be seen as its origin country. The particular word Dhanurasana is a Sanskrit word and almost around 5000 years it came into existence. At first, only particular people used to perform these activities but slowly everyone learned about its benefits. Here, we will also take into consideration how to do a bow pose yoga.
In today’s time not only the people of India but of all the other parts of the world are acknowledging its benefits. Yoga is gaining popularity because most of the yoga poses are very easy to perform and they also don’t need any equipment. If we want to workout we need to go to the gym but it is completely different in the case of yoga.
Yoga poses or asanas help to gain incredible flexibility with great strength. One can perform yoga poses every day without any worries. If we’ll say what is the best time to do some then it would be in the morning. It is not gender biased because anyone from any gender can perform the yoga poses.
Some yoga poses are really easy but some of them take some effort and time. If someone wants to improve their flexibility, yoga will be best for them. In this article, we will talk about a bow pose or a dhanurasna because it is one of the yoga poses. We will also learn some facts about the bow pose and what precautions we should take will performing this yoga pose.
1. What Is Yoga?
Before we learn about different yoga poses it is very important to learn what yoga is. To keep it really simple one can say that yoga is an exercise to provide the needed balance between the mind and our body. It has posed to relax our body and practices like meditation to keep us calm and give us the ability to think rationally.
People in earlier times used to perform these poses with full concentration in search of spirituality. In today’s world individuals use yoga poses to concentrate better on their life goals, to think rationality, and to keep their mind calm all the time.
2. What Is A Bow Pose Or Dhanurasana
A bow pose is a type of yoga asana and anyone can perform it. Although it can be a little challenging for the newbies to perform this pose easily without having any difficulty. This pose can also be a little difficult for people suffering from obesity but with some practice, everyone can achieve it. This pose mainly deals with our abdominal problems and strengths are core because all the weight gets on your stomach. It can help you with long-lasting back pain. The bow pose stretches our whole body along with our back which is left behind in many exercises.
As the time changed, people started doing indoor work in offices more than outdoor work. And to work in an office we have to sit on the same chair for more than 7 to 10 hours which can affect our back in a very bad way.
Even kids now have to do their work from devices while sitting in front of them for very long hours. The bow pose can help us in many different ways and in the next part of this article, we will talk about some of the main benefits of this pose.
3. A Simple Guide To Perform The Bow Pose
It is a growing field all around the world so people might wonder the proper way to do the different yoga poses. Here, I will give you the guide to perform the bow pose perfectly.
1. Take a yoga mat and lay it down on the floor. If anyone doesn’t have the yoga mat at the moment they can use any cloth to start. Lay down on the mat then roll onto your stomach and now you are facing the mat or floor.
2. Now keep your both hands attached to your body then turn your hands and your palms should be facing the ceiling. Keep your legs straight too and your chin should be touching the floor.
3. Now try to put your legs on your butt. There should be a distance of your hips width between both your knees.
4. In this step try to hold both of your legs with both hands at the same time. Now try to stretch towards the ceiling. You might feel some tension on the front of your thighs and that is a positive sign that you are doing it correctly.
5. Try to keep your head inclined backward too. It is beneficial to stretch your neck muscles. Keep your mouth closed during the process and breathe through your nostrils only.
6. Try to stay in the same position for about half a minute and then release it gently. Make sure to be slow while leaving asana to avoid the risk of any hamstring pull. Continuously breathe during the process but if you want to increase the difficulty and get maximum benefit you should hold your breath when you are in the bow pose.
4. Health Benefits Of Doing Bow Pose Everyday
Let’s talk about some magical benefits of doing the bow pose.
1. To properly perform a bow pose we need to hold our feet by our hands on the back of our body and lift. Some people find it very difficult to even raise their thighs above the ground because they have zero flexibility. If we will perform this pose every day it will start showing noticeable results. This bow pose can help us to stretch our thighs and hamstrings.
2. In the bow pose our whole body weight gets solely on our stomach or core. This pose can help us to build our core strength and can also help to resolve abdominal issues naturally. Women suffering from menstrual imbalance should also try this as it can solve the issue.
3. When we take the position to do the bow pose we should keep our neck backward and the tongue should be touching the upper part of our mouth near the teeth. This practice can help to get rid of a double chin without any cosmetic surgeries and it also tones the skin of our neck and the area around it.
4. One who sits in front of their computer screens all day for any reason can feel some tension at the back of their neck and their back. To release this tension it is a very good exercise. Our back needs to be stretched out to improve the body posture as it stretches both shoulder and back muscles together.
5. Bow pose also gets the back muscles toned and more structured. Along with all the benefits it also helps to improve the digestive system. This pose can help with your calves too because it stretches the whole body at the very same time.
5. Some Quick Tips For The Newbies
It is never too late to start something you grew an interest in. Yoga is something people are trying to explore now because of its benefits. In this section of the article, we will talk about the things that can help the newbies to do a bow poso easily.
If you are new to this field and you have also never done any stretching then you should take it a little easy. Nobody should get hurt while trying to learn something because it can affect their interest negatively. You should start with simple stretches like cobra stretch.
To do this pose you need to lay down on a sheet on your stomach laying flat. Then put both of your hands on the level of your chest. Slowly push your hands and your torso will be in the air. Hold it for about 10 seconds and then come back to the ground very slowly. Keep your neck stretched too as it can remove the pain from the back of the neck.
There is something else that one can do which is to lay down on the ground on their stomach. Then put both of your hands in the direction of your body. Instead of pulling your legs with both hands, hold only the right leg with the right hand. It can be a pretty simple exercise to begin with. Then repeat the same process with the left side of the body.
6. Yoga Straps
If you are not able to pull your legs even a little from the ground then you might need a yoga strap to help. A yoga strap is a round stretchable band that is used in many different exercises to increase the difficulty. So, If you want to use it to do the bow pose successfully you need to be lying flat on the surface.
After this attach the yoga strap on both your feet and try to hold it by your hands. Then pull it from above your head as much as you possibly can. Stay in the pose for around 5-10 seconds and release. If you make it a habit then in a very few days you will be apply to mark the difference.
There is another way to do it and that is to use a towel roll or some other cloth folded in a round shape. Take the position to do the pose and ask your partner to put that roll right below your knees. Try to maintain the position for at least 10 seconds and then release. It is also beneficial to make good things an everyday habit.
7. Who Should Avoid Doing It
Although doing yoga is good for everyone still some people should not do it because of some health conditions. Here we will discuss this a little. All pregnant ladies should not perform this because the pressure is on the stomach. People dealing with high blood pressure should also try to avoid using it because It increases our heartbeat.
People with some chronic health issues should also try to avoid doing it. And if you are facing any abdominal issues at the time then avoid doing it.
8. Risks of Doing Bow Yoga
There are few risks if you do not do it the right way or not do something wrong. Let’s talk about the risks in detail. If you are not flexible enough to do it and will not do any stretches beforehand then it can harm you.
If you will force your body too much then it can pull your hamstring and can cause you some other pain. You can avoid anything bad from happening if you stay a little careful and do every pose slowly.
9. Final Note
In this article, we talked about the origin of yoga and how yoga first came into existence in India. All the yoga pose names are derived from the Sanskrit language. People of India have been performing yoga for the last 5000 years and now people around the world are gaining interest in it. We talked about yoga as an exercise to improve our physical health along with our mental health.
Meditation is a form of yoga and it can help you in many situations which need you to stay calm and make rational life decisions. Here we talked in brief about the bow pose or dhanurasana. We also talked about the right way to do the bow pose. There are a lot of benefits of doing a bow pose such as it can help you to improve your body posture. It can help you with double chin and neck pain. This is also beneficial for your back and thighs.
We also talked about how newbies can start doing the bow pose. This article also tells you about the possible risks of doing this yoga pose. It also taught us about the importance of physical activity in our everyday lives. Even if only for 30 minutes we should move our bodies every day to stay healthy for longer. And it can also be really good to do yoga early in the morning when the air is pure.