According to many, the idea of having a cocktail on a hot summer day and enjoying the sun is very ideal. The perfect cocktail for summer is a mojito and if you prefer vodka you can have a refreshing vodka mojito. The cocktail is effortlessly easy to make and it hardly takes more than a few minutes to prepare. If vodka mojitos are your drink of choice let’s see how to make mojito with vodka and make your summer days even more refreshing.
1. What Is a Mojito?
Mojito is a Cuban cocktail which consists of 5 basic elements white rum, simple syrup, fresh lime juice, mint leaves and club soda.
It is prepared by muddling lime juice, simple syrup, and mint leaves with a muddler. After the mixture is prepared, we add white rum over it and then we top the drink off with club soda.
The original recipe suggested the use of granulated sugar but in many places, the recipe uses powdered sugar. Using powdered instead of granulated sugar, because it dissolves more easily than granulated sugar. But in the end, it doesn’t matter, the cocktail as loved by many has been modified a lot so people with any and every preference can enjoy it.
Some modifications became so well-liked by the people that they are served as different cocktails. Slight variations with compatible flavours are also very popular among people. The original mojito recipe has been modified based on what’s publicly appreciated. Here are some that are very popular
- A mojito can also be made without alcohol, commonly called a virgin mojito. It is the same sugary drink sans the alcohol
- A Cojito is a mojito with some coconut flavour in it. To add this flavour, mostly coconut rum is used.
- A dirty mojito refers to a mojito where the white rum is replaced with gold rum and raw sugar. The raw sugar is usually darker and it imparts a caramel flavour to the classic mojito
- Flavoured simple syrups can be customized like rose or berry-flavoured syrups can be concocted easily and your mojito can be updated
2. Can You Make a Mojito with Vodka?
Yes, you can also prepare a vodka mojito by replacing the white rum with vodka. This summer cocktail is flexible and adaptive. You can bend the classic mojito recipe and spin it according to your preferred alcohol.
Many brands have now started providing pre-made cocktail mixes. This concoction usually has the liquor with subtle flavouring to enhance the mojito.
Apart from white rum, there are mojitos with white rum, vodka, tequila, gin and many more. Whiskey, scotch and other liquors have also been used now but they are not very popular nor they are compatible with the recipe flavours.
Also, take a look at: Can You Make a Margarita with Vodka?
3. How to Make Mojito with Vodka?
Vodka mojitos, or even the traditional mojito do not have proportions specified. The recipe includes the same things like simple syrup, club soda, mint leaves and lime juice. The only thing differing is the alcohol used in the cocktail. The vodka mojito as the name suggests uses vodka while the original mojito recipe uses white rum.
Apart from the basic ingredients you need a highball glass and a muddler. If you don’t own a muddler you can also use the end of a wooden spoon. It is a slightly sweeter mocktail compared to others so it is crucial, that the sugar dissolves. You can use mint leaves and thinly sliced lime wedges for garnish and make the drink look pretty.
4. Vodka Mojito Recipe
You can modify the recipe by adding ingredients of your choice but do not make drastic changes as you would lose the essence of the recipe and the cocktail. With this easy recipe let’s find out how to make mojito with vodka.
To make vodka mojitos you need a few basic ingredients which can easily be available at your nearest supermarket. This refreshing cocktail recipe is easy and the prep time is just 5 minutes. Nutrition Calories: 180 cals per serving. The vodka mojito recipe given is meant for 1 serving you can increase the amount of ingredients and make a larger batch. Just ensure that you keep the ratio of ingredients the same.
1. Mint leaves
You need 7 to 8 fresh mint leaves to impart the minty flavour to the mojito. Too many mint leaves will make the drink very strong and even bitter. The fresh mint flavour has to be balanced in the drink.
2. Lime juice
You can use store-bought lime juice but it is suggested you use freshly squeezed lime juice. It would make the drink more fresh and refreshing. For the recipe, you require ¾ ounces of lime juice.
You need vodka for a vodka mojito. Do not compromise your vodka mojito by using cheap quality vodka. Choose a high-quality vodka, for instance, Grey Goose, it would only enhance the taste of the vodka mojito. 2 ounces of vodka are used in the recipe.
4. Simple Syrup
As the drink is a sweet cocktail you need to add sugar to it. Simple syrup is preferred over sugar as it is easier to make a mojito. In the recipe, we are using ½ ounce of simple syrup.
5. Club soda
Club soda is vital in a mojito and you require 2 ounces of soda for the recipe.
A vodka mojito would not taste good if it is not chilled you need to use ice cubes or crushed ice to keep the drink chilled and refreshing.
- In a tall or a highball glass add a few mint leaves, lime juice and simple syrup.
- With a muddler, muddle the leaves so that the mint would seep out. If you don’t have a muddler you can use a wooden spoon or something that can bruise the leaves.
- Pour the vodka into the mixture and stir it so that the mixture completely dissolves in the vodka.
- Add ice and pour the club soda over the ice and stir it a little.
- Adding a few mint leaves and lime wedges for garnish and your refreshing cocktail is ready.
The fresher the ingredients you use, the better your drinks would be. This is not only true for this recipe but also for other cocktail recipes too.
5. Some Tips and Tricks
To upgrade your vodka mojito you can use these tricks to enhance flavour and make this summer drink even more fresh and refreshing. You can modify the following things:
5.1 For the Drink
- Make sure that you only bruise the mint leaves and do not crush them. Crushing them would make the cocktail bitter and it would not taste good.
- You can chill your vodka in the freezer to make the drink more cold and refreshing
- You can also use sugar instead of simple syrup if you prefer that. The ease of dissolution of simple syrup makes it a good option over sugar. You can skip buying from the store and can make your simple syrup. The procedure is quite simple as you need to dissolve 2 parts sugar in 1 part water.
- Instead of pre-squeezed lime juice which is laced with preservatives, you can use fresh-squeezed lime juice. The preservatives in the store-bought one do give that fresh refreshing taste to the drink.
- You can use sparkling water instead of club soda. The whole recipe remains the same just the soda gets replaced with sparkling water.
5.2 For Garnish
- Adding a few cucumber slices would also make the drink more refreshing and you can use it as a garnish too. For garnish, you add a lime wedge on the rim of the glass too
- Instead of lime juice, you can use slices of lime and muddle them with the mint leaves. The fresh lime flavour makes the drink even better and is good for garnishing too.
- A vodka mojito is a sweet and light drink. The alcohol content is low and hence you need to use a tall glass so you can add enough soda and it has enough volume. The tall glass would also facilitate mixing ingredients in the glass itself and save the hassle of using a cocktail shaker.
These are just some opinions that could just make your drink better, using these tricks is completely up to you. Even if you cannot follow through with any of this, your drink would still taste good.
The refreshing summer cocktail mojito, usually made with white rum, simple syrup, mint leaves, lime juice, club soda and ice is an all-time favourite. It is a great summer cocktail famous for its minty flavour and low alcohol content.
Many people prefer a mojito with vodka in it, it is called a vodka mojito. Vodka mojitos are prepared in the same manner as a classic mojito just vodka is used instead of white rum. For a hot summer day, this cocktail is perfectly refreshing.
To make the drink you need your favourite vodka, sugar or simple syrup, freshly squeezed lime juice, fresh mint leaves club soda and ice. In a glass add mint leaves, lime juice and sugar. Using a muddler, muddle the mixture. Make sure you just bruise the mint leaves and not crush them entirely as it could make the drink bitter.
For garnish, you can add a few mint leaves, lime wedges and cucumber slices. It is often advised you use simple syrup in the drinks because it is already dissolved and it makes the prep time even lesser. Waiting till the sugar completely dissolves is a little frustrating and time-consuming too. Also apart from that you can make your simple syrup and use it.
The drink is meant to be refreshing and modifications that enhance the freshness of the drink are always up to you and what you prefer.