Cannabis consumption is on the rise and dab rigs are a popular and more modern way to consume your favorite plant. This method of consumption is healthier and much more efficient than most methods of cannabis consumption such as smoking or vaping.
An added benefit is that dabs are much stronger so you must be careful when using them especially if you are not used to high potency. Bongs and joints have been used to consume cannabis for years however many people are looking for a new method. If you are a beginner and would like to know how to use a dab rig, keep reading.
What are dab rigs?
A dab rig is a unique type of water filtration device that is similar to a bong or a water pipe. These devices are specifically designed to smoke dense concentrates through water vapor and they are usually made of glass with a nail made of titanium or quartz. This device was first introduced in 2002 in Atlanta Georgia in the United States and they are used to vaporize cannabis without combustion.
These devices are popular amongst consumers because they cause less harm to your lungs and also produce a better flavor and more potent effects. Dab rigs are so popular in fact, that they are a staple product on many online stores, like Daily High Club for example, and are often included in the available products. Unlike other consumption methods that use dry herbs, dab rigs use concentrates such as wax, oil, and even honey. Dabs also contain a much higher THC content than most consumption methods and there are a lot of accessories involved.
What are the components?
As previously mentioned, there are many components to a dab rig including:
- Water pipe or bong: This is to be filled with water and allows the vapor to cool down as it travels up the chamber.
- Nail or Banger: The nail is the part that gets heated via a heat source and is responsible for the vaping of the concentrates. Nails are generally made from quartz or titanium.
- Torch: This is powerful propane or butane torch which is used to heat and is very powerful.
- Dab tool: This piece of metal is used to load and heat the concentrates and is a very essential component.
These are the basic components of a dab rig however, some extra components that you can find include:
- eNail or electronic nail: This uses electronic heating instead of a flame. You plug it into an electronic socket.
- Vapor curve or Vapor dome: This is a glass hood that captures the vapor and makes the dabbing process easier, especially for beginners.
When choosing a dab torch, avoid ones that have any plastic components in the trigger because these are susceptible to breaking and weakening when coming into close proximity to heat. You want to preferably use a torch made entirely of metal that does not have chrome-like shininess. Most experts say that the best torch to use is a butane torch because this torch does not impact the taste of marijuana.
How to use one?
It might seem overwhelming as a beginner however, it is quite simple. To use a dab rig follow these steps:
- Add water to your chamber.
- Season your nail.
- Prepare your dab by picking up a small bit and setting it aside.
- Heat your nail and once the nail stops glowing, rest it for 45 seconds.
- Place oil on the nail once the nail is cooled and pull simultaneously.
- Inhale via the mouthpiece.
- Exhale and repeat the process.
- Clean wand and nail.
It is suggested that when dabbing, you wear a pair of gloves because the oil is slimy and tends to mess. It is also recommended that you turn down the heat for more flavor and frequently clean your dab rig for optimal functioning.
The materials used for a nail are either quartz, titanium, glass, or ceramic. Low-end dab rigs usually have a glass nail and these are recommended for more seasoned dabbers because they are brittle and frail. Titanium is the most popular nail because they heat efficiently and quickly. Ceramic and quartz nails are known for producing a smooth flavor. When choosing a nail, consider the size and fitting.