When you click through from our site to a retailer and buy a product, we may earn affiliate commissions. This helps support our work, but does not affect what we cover or how, and it does not affect the price you pay.
India has a growing population and economy of more than one billion people. As a country, India indulges in mass production and consumption of electricity. Propelled by the growing population, the demand for electricity has also increased multi-fold.
In most situations, the growing demand for energy and power sources is met by using fossil fuels to generate electricity. This has been the traditional approach. However, doing so has been harmful to the environment due to the greenhouse gases released in the process. This is why, more and more people are choosing a more sustainable lifestyle by switching to solar power systems.
Having a solar system in your house can be beneficial not only for the environment, but also for the owner. These power systems are utilized to produce one of the cleanest forms of energy and also helps in saving money on electricity bills by promoting energy independence.
Nonetheless, you must keep in mind that a complete solar system requires an initial investment and ample rooftop space. If these are not available, then the best step to take is to get a solar charge controller for your home.
What Is A Solar Charge Controller?
A solar charge controller can be defined as a regulator, which prevents overcharging of batteries. The charge controller keeps track of how much current and voltage a solar panel sends into the battery, and also prevents deep cycle batteries from overcharging, while ensuring that the power does not return to the solar panels during night. So, it is safe to say that a solar charge controller is one of the most critical components of a solar power system.
All these tasks are performed by a solar charge controller, thus making it an extremely reasonable and practical investment.
Types of Solar Charge Controllers
There are two different categories of solar charge controllers: PWN PWM (pulse width modulation) controllers and MPPT (maximum power point trackers). Both of the types have different functions and characteristics.
- PWN PWM
- The standard type of solar charge controllers that are available for users with solar power systems, and are thus rationally priced to ensure affordability.
- PWM solar charge controllers function by gradually reducing the amount of power that goes into the battery as it approaches capacity.
- In case the battery is full, PWM solar charge controllers maintain and supply small amounts of power continually to keep the battery topped off.
- The solar panel system and the battery should have matching voltages when using a PWM controller.
- As there are fewer electronic components and much less thermal stress, the predicted lifespan is longer.
- Enables the solar panel to reach its highest efficiency and power levels.
- Up to 30% more efficient depending on battery and capacity. than PWM charge controllers
- More advanced and priced at a slightly higher level.
- Suitable for higher power systems with more solar panels.
There are different models of solar charge controllers available in the market. They vary in terms of their loads and capacities. The capacity of the solar charge controller you choose should be decided, keeping in mind the size of the current solar system.
In most cases, solar charge controllers aren’t necessary for the vast majority of solar product buyers. You may ask, why so? Well, most solar panels on the rooftop or on the ground with a battery backup are most often connected to the electric grid, and if your battery runs out, any extra solar energy will automatically redirect to the grid.
However, if you want a small off-grid solar power system with battery backup, you’ll have to think about getting a charge controller to make sure the battery is charged appropriately.
To find a solar charge controller that matches your requirements perfectly, it is prudent to know the size and capacity of the solar system. They are extremely efficient devices that promote an environmentally and budget-friendly lifestyle.
While you are exploring options, remember to check reputable brands such as Luminous. They are a market leader in providing home electric and energy solutions and boast an extensive range of products. Besides, you can also contact them to understand your requirements better and then make an informed decision!