Often wonder what to eat on sourdough bread. Delicious sourdough bread is a staple for most breakfast tables but not only breakfast, it makes a great option for a snack or lunch. It is a healthy and delicious option for all age groups. Sourdough bread is filled with fiber, and prebiotics, has less sugar, and contains vitamin B6. It makes a fulfilling meal.
1. What is Sourdough Bread?
Sourdough or fresh sourdough bread is a naturally leavened bread which means it doesn’t use commercial yeast to rise. Instead, it employs a starter, which is a fermented mixture of flour and water containing natural yeast and beneficial healthy bacteria, to rise.
This also results in the acidic flavor and somewhat chewy texture that are characteristics of sourdough compared to commercial yeast; wild yeast has a stronger flavor and is more natural because it doesn’t have any additives.
Sourdough bread due to its unique formulation can last up to days and weeks if stored properly. The bread can be frozen to maintain its freshness. People enjoy making it at home while some prefer to buy fresh.
Various ingredients, such as the kind of flour used and the sourdough’s fermentation process, can affect the flavor and look of the sourdough bread. It is renowned for its distinctive, slightly sour flavor, crisp crust, and random holes in the crumb. Globally sourdough bread is cherished and has a long history.
It is easier to digest and can help in building lean muscle and reducing belly fat. It even plays a crucial role in the functioning of the brain and protects against depression and dementia as we age.
2. Making Sourdough Bread: Beginner’s Guide
Making sourdough bread is an art and a therapy in itself. Homemade sourdough bread is tasty and beautiful in its way.
2. 1 Combine 250g water, 150g bubbly (sourdough starter), 25 g olive oil in a large bowl.
2.2 Mix 500g bread/wheat flour and 10g fine sea salt into the mixture
2.3 Use your hands to mash the mixture together until all of the flour has been absorbed. The dough will have a dry, shaggy feel to it.
2.4 For around 30 minutes, the bowl should be covered with plastic wrap, reusable wax wrap, or a very moist dish towel.
2.5 Work the dough into a ball right in the bowl once it has rested; it need not be perfect. The dough would be perfectly ready once it is double in size and looks no longer dense. It can take 3-12 hours for the process depending upon the sourdough starter potency.
(Optional: Stretch and fold the dough, after about 30 minutes of bulk rise perform a series of stretches and folds to strengthen the bread dough.)
2.6 Remove the dough onto a lightly floured surface cut it into halves and make it 2 loaves or leave it single.
2.7 Bake the bread in your oven, heating it to 450 degrees F/232-degree C.
2.8 Use parchment paper or cornmeal to coat the bottom of the loaves so that it doesn’t stick.
2.9 Now bake the bread and wait for the second rise. Your bread would appear pale and shiny.
2.10 Continue to bake until deep brown.
2.11 Cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing. Be patient!
3. What to Eat on Sourdough Bread?
You can have this fresh and gummy bread with various toppings. Some prefer cheese, ham, or meat while some prefer vegetables or fruit on top of it. A combination of different toppings can make it fulfill your favorite meal of the day.
Sourdough bread can be eaten with soup, sandwiches, toast bruschetta, sweet potatoes, vegetable lasagna, and caprese salad. On the other hand, this type of bread pairs well with main dishes such as steamed fish, pasta, white rice, roasted chicken, or steak.
The best thing about sourdough bread is that it is easy to digest as compared to ordinary bread, thus preferred the most throughout the day. it is one of the healthiest breads.
4. What to Eat on Sourdough Bread:10 Delicious Toppings that Go on Sourdough Bread
Here are some toppings and their recipes for sourdough bread. Serve it on a breakfast casserole and enjoy!
A classic and cult favorite spread for sourdough bread that is loved by most of us. A thick, crunchy, creamy, and delicious avocado toast is all you need.
- sourdough bread
- Lime juice
- Chili flakes
- Black pepper
- In a bowl, combine chopped avocados, lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
- gently, mash with the fork.
- top the toasted sourdough bread with the mashed avocado spread mixture.
- Drizzle with olive oil, chili flakes, and some cilantro.
4.2) Hummus and Avocado
Hummus is a great source of protein and pairing it with avocado makes it tastier.
- Hummus (canned or homemade)
- Chili flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Put hummus spread on the sourdough bread.
- Add some chopped avocados to the hummus spread.
- Sprinkle chili flakes, pepper, and sesame seeds on the delicious spread.
4.3) Greek Yogurt and Fresh Berries
Craving for something sweet and wondering what to eat on sourdough bread? Greek yogurt with fresh berries can make a perfect breakfast or lunchtime sandwich.
- Greek yogurt
- Greek sourdough bread
- Mix honey and Greek yogurt and spread it on crusty sourdough bread.
- Chop blueberries and raspberries and put on the mixture.
4.4) Mushroom with Caramelized Onions
Craving for something warm, sweet, and savory for dinner? This is the perfect toppings to go on sourdough bread.
- Chopped mushroom
- Caramelized onions
- Chili flakes
- Black pepper
1) Chop some mushrooms and sauté them with black pepper, salt, and chili flakes in the pan.
2) Add these sauteed mushrooms to the sourdough
3) Top mushrooms with some caramelized onions.
4.5) Basil, Mozzarella and Tomato
A tangy fresh recipe from the gardens. It is a perfect Greek sourdough bread topping.
- Fresh basil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- Take sourdough bread and add some mozzarella to it.
- Chop some cherry tomatoes and spread them all over the bread.
- Sprinkle it with salt black pepper and some olive oil.
A classic breakfast staple is eggs and toast.
- Sunny side up egg
- Black pepper
- Avocado spread
- Take the avocado spread and spread it generously on the sourdough bread.
- In a pan toast some chicken in butter, salt, and pepper.
- Put the chicken in the avocado mixture.
- Add the sunny-side-up egg and sprinkle some black pepper on it.
4.7) Blueberry Cranberry Sourdough French Toast
Serve breakfast to your loved ones with a sweet and sour French toast.
- Blueberry cranberry sourdough
- Coconut Milk
- Cinnamon powder
- Vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients except the sourdough bread and the butter together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Soak both sides of the bread in the prepared mixture for a few seconds until it absorbs all the mixture well.
- Melt butter on a hot pawn.
- Cook the soaked bread on both sides for around 2 minutes on medium-high heat until it turns golden brown.
- Serve it hot with toppings of your choice like butter, maple syrup, fresh berries, etc.
4.8) The Indian Sourdough Bread: The Veggie Sandwich
What could be superior to a desi street-style sandwich? Of Course, it had to be our Indian spicy sandwich. This hearty dish will make you remember your childhood.
- Sourdough bread
- Diced onion
- Peeled and diced potato
- Ginger garlic paste
- Red chili powder
- Turmeric powder
- Almond Butter
- Heat a pan with oil and add the onion and ginger garlic paste. Saute on medium heat until the onions get soft and light brown.
- Add the potatoes chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, and pepper.
- sauté for a minute
- Cook till the mixture becomes soft.
- Butter the slices of the bread and toast it in the pan.
- Put the mixture on the bread.
- Put the sourdough toast on the pan and wait till it becomes golden brown.
- Serve hot when golden brown.
4.9) Garlic Sourdough Bread
A garlic sourdough bread is an easy quick recipe for all garlic lovers.
- Sourdough toast
- Minced garlic
- Chili flakes
- Fresh Herbs
- Take a small bowl and add butter, minced garlic, chili flakes, and herbs to it.
- Mix the added mixture until it becomes a paste.
- Spread the mixture on the sourdough bread.
- Grill the bread or pan-fast it.
4.10) Fig and Ricotta
The ideal sweet and savory morning food is this fig and ricotta toast! It is the ultimate opulent morning dish to make when wondering what to eat on sourdough bread.
- Fresh figs
- Ricotta cheese
- Sourdough bread
- Take the sourdough bread and ricotta cheese to it.
- Add fresh figs to it and top it off with honey.
5. Spread/Dips to Serve the Sourdough Bread With
Here are some dips/butters you can eat when you have nothing and wonder what to eat on sourdough bread. Sourdough bread makes the dip even more delicious.
- Smoked garlic butter
- Cajun honey butter
- Nut butter
- Sunflower seed butter
- Cheddar cheese dip
- Tzatziki sauce
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
- Olive oil and fresh cracked pepper
- S’mores dip (marshmallows, chocolate or crackers)
- Cheesy spinach artichoke dip
6. What Soups Go Well with Sourdough Bread?
Any type of soup tastes good with a slice of sourdough bread to dip it in, whether it is sour, hearty, or meaty. With a small sour taste from the bread, the dish becomes fuller and tastes better.
For instance, soups and carbohydrates pair well. The bread’s crunchiness perfectly pairs with the watery meal. serve sourdough bread and sweet potato fries with these soups. It can be a great side dish.
- Creamy and cheesy soup
- Bone brothy soup
- Mushroom soup
- Curried sweet potato soup
- Roasted tomato soup
- Onion soup
- Cauliflower cheese soup
- chicken noodle soup
- Spring vegetable stew
- vegetable soup
7. What Cheese to Go on Sourdough Bread?
Not all cheese pairs well with sourdough well for creating sandwiches or grilled cheese. Six varieties of cheese go particularly well with sourdough bread. What to eat on sourdough bread? Say cheese!
- Gruyere cheese
- Brie cheese
- Manchego cheese
- Monterey jack cheese cheddar cheese
- Swiss cheese
The saltiness of the cheese in the mixture is balanced by the tangy flavor of the sourdough. For optimal delight, melt cheese on top of the sourdough bread slices when serving it with soup or stew.
8. What Meat Goes Well with Sourdough Bread? What to Eat on Sourdough Bread? (Meat Edition)
What to eat on sourdough bread when craving meat?
Lunch meat also known as cold cuts, luncheon meats, sliced meats, prepared meats, deli meats, and cold meats, pair well with sourdough bread. Slicing and serving pre-cooked or cured meats hot or cold with any bread, especially sourdough, is a classic pairing. They can be used as sandwiches or beautifully served on a platter for layering and eating at your leisure.
- Meats: chicken, pork, beef steak, crispy bacon, ribeye steaks in particular.
- Deli meats: turkey slices, ham, turkey breast, corned beef.
9. Where to Buy Sourdough Bread From?
Sourdough bread ought to be one of your selections if you’re looking for healthy bread. It is simple to locate in stores and if you have some cooking experience, you can even create it from scratch.
Once you become used to the flavor and have it in your kitchen, you won’t need to replace this sort of bread because it goes well with so many different foods.
All year round, sourdough bread is frequently baked. It can be used to make sandwiches, breadcrumbs, sourdough bread bowls, sourdough croutons, bread pudding, and French toast so it never seems to go to waste.
By incorporating ingredients like nuts, cheddar cheese, fruit, meat, and veggies, it complements both savory and sweet foods effectively.
Sourdough breadcrumbs generally enhance the flavor of creamy and cheesy soups by balancing their creamy and tangy flavors. However, the majority of soups are tasty and aid in absorbing the liquid with each bite. it’s a great option as a side dish.
Only cheddar, Swiss, Monterey jack, Manchego, brie, and gruyere can be melted on a piece of bread when it comes to what to eat on sourdough bread.
Butter, whether salted or unsalted, is a good lighter choice. Depending on how sweet the food is, honey and fruit fresh jam can sate your appetite.
From deli meats to eggs, bacon, and tomato, sourdough can be served for dinner, breakfast, and lunch. When dipped into a flavorful olive oil and balsamic vinegar freshly baked bread tastes even better.
Try these options when confused about what to eat on sourdough bread and the fresh loaf will never go to waste.
Here to tell and create creative content.