Mental health in students affects their life in many ways, schoolwork pressure, misunderstandings, no understanding between the teachers, parents, and students, and much more. Why is mental health important for students? Continue reading.
Mental health is not something that we need to ignore. It affects the student’s day-to-day life and pressurizes their workload. Considering this everyone needs to take action regarding every student’s mental health. If a student’s mental health is worsening, we often see them go into depression and anxiety, which in this generation a lot of students are facing.
Many people say why a student requires the need of counselling for mental health or why is mental health important for students, but they don’t understand that mental health can affect their life harmfully and mental health in students is a very important issue.
Here I will show you 5 reasons why is mental health important for students:
1. Why is Mental Health Important for Students: 5 Reasons
Most people think that mental health is a normal issue and is not important. But mental health can affect your overall well-being. Let us see why mental health is important for students.
1.1. Mentally Available:
Sometimes when you go through bad mental health issues you find yourself not paying attention to the details and important things in your life.
You find yourself mentally unstable. When you have an improved mental health status you can concentrate more and be mentally and physically available for schoolwork and much more.
1.2. More Confidence:
A lot of times students lack self-confidence and miss opportunities for themselves. When you start being mentally positive and good you start gaining more confidence.
You need to let go of the demon inside your head who is pressurizing you to have no confidence and that a lot of times is simply anxiety. That way you can gain more self-confidence and go for the opportunities which have been awaiting you.
1.3. Better in Maintaining Relationships:
You need to be socially interactive to succeed. Improved mental health will help you in maintaining a good bond/relationship with your lecturer’s teachers and friends. You will make more friends and develop a great bond with them.
1.4. Reduced Depression, Stress and Anxiety:
Good mental health will free you from depression stress and anxiety. Good mental health will reduce the mentally unstable pain you were facing.
It will take time to completely free yourself from depression stress and anxiety as it is not something which goes away when you want it to, but better mental health is important to lessen the amount of stress you take and the anxiety you face and the depression you go through. This is one of the main factors for why mental health is important for students.
1.5. Enhanced Sleep:
Good mental health will help you in enhancing your sleep. Complete sleep is important for not just a student but for every human being on earth. After taking a good night’s sleep you can be fresh and have improved concentration throughout your day.
2. Causes of Bad Mental Health in Students:
- Bullying: one of the many main reasons why students suffer from mental health is bullying. It has become a very often talked about topic nowadays. Students suffer from anxiety and depression because of bullying. It is not something to be fond of and it needs to stop.
- Heavy Workload: Students often have poor mental health because of the heavy workload. They are given a lot of assignments and work to complete in less amount of time through which they suffer from bad mental health. It causes them a lot of stress and leads them to overthink and have more than enough on their mind.
- Not accepting defeat: When a student fails an exam, they don’t feel worthy and have mental health issues which give negative impacts on their life. They start to feel drained and lazy and sometimes even give up. It is normal to go through failures in their life, but it leads to heavy stress and giving up.
- Inadequacy of sleep: A human being needs 6 – 8 hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep in a student’s life will lead to bad mental health issues. If a student doesn’t take the amount of sleep, they require they won’t be fresh in the morning and feel drained and lazy which leads to less concentration and stress.
- No understanding between teachers and students: You should know that a teacher is the one who should be supporting and understand their students mentally. Instead, teachers don’t allow students to speak, and mentally drain them by giving them loads and loads of work and much more which leads a student to feel disappointed and worthless which then creates a poor mental health issue in a student.
- Support and understanding from parents: A student need unconditional support from their parents to cope with stress and anxiety. As long as a student has the full understanding of their parents then they no longer have to deal with such mental health issues frequently.
- Family issues: Family issues can also affect a student’s mental health in many ways. Considering this many students have trouble with their mental health issues because of depression, anxiety, and absence of physical activity and exercise.
3. How to Develop or Foster Mental Health in Students
- In school, bullying must be stopped this is an intense case which needs strict action taken by the school. Bullying is one of the main reasons why a student gets poor mental health issues. Even a slight change in the world of bullies can help many students cope with stress, anxiety, depression and bad mental health.
- Students must be given time to de-stress and relax their bodies and mind in school.
- Students must not be overburdened by heavy schoolwork, assignments and homework. They should be given enough of what they can handle.
- A student must be allowed to speak up and participate in all activities to develop self-confidence and good mental health.
- They should not be treated recklessly if they face failure instead make them learn from their failures in a good way.
- Scolding, beating and more will only worsen their mental health but instead understand their pain and help them.
- A student must sleep 6-8 hours every night which will help boost his mental and physical health.
- Exercising and physical activity will help lessen your stress.
- Understanding between teachers and students and no communication gap will greatly help a student’s mental health.
- A student must have support from a family with understanding to maintain a good relationship and foster peace within the family.
- Providing counselling and therapy to a student in need who is going through anxiety stress or depression.
- Encourage parents to communicate with their children every week.
- Moreover, helping students to concentrate and be free from anxiety or depression will encourage a student to have more mental peace and feel less mentally unstable.
4. How Student’s Mental Health Affect Their Mind:
A student’s mental health will only affect their important choices and concentration. As long as a student’s mental health is good that is the only way how they can cope with stress anxiety and depression.
Bad mental health will affect not only a student’s overall well-being but also every living human. Issues like anxiety and depression are seen in many people you meet daily. This is not right to normalize it.
There are many people out there who need therapy and counselling. A student’s environment affects their mental health, and the student will turn out how the student’s environment is in the future.
I believe the surroundings of a student must be good so that a student doesn’t meddle in any harmful and wrong activity. And to not taking these wrong steps is the reason why is mental health important for students.
Mental health issues can be treated for those who are seeking help through mental health services. Many people are struggling on the daily basis and can recover and live a peaceful life.
Going through such difficult emotions and feelings is not easy. Negative issues and difficulties come along your journey in life you need to cope with them. One of the many things a student can do is to avoid toxicity.
A toxic environment, toxic people, and toxic relationships often lead a student to overthink and overanalyze their decisions and the relationship they hold with them. Once they cut the toxicity which surrounds everyone everywhere it will be much easier to have good mental health.
Suggested Reading- Something Positive: Best 7 Ways That Something Positive Can Change Your Life
5. Final Thoughts:
Either way, mental health is a very important factor in various issues and to be precise in students. There are many students who are going through stress anxiety and depression many of these students don’t sleep at night because of overthinking, many students hate school because of the pressure they face at school.
Mental health is the main factor, if mental health is stable that’s how a student will develop and feel encouraged if mental health is unstable a student will worsen their health not only mentally but also physically. Why is mental health important for students it can place its part in the well-being and success of a student.
Considering this every organization must raise mental health awareness regarding why mental health is important for students, and how to provide help to those who are struggling on the daily basis.
That way every student can concentrate on their studies and live the teenage life they are supposed to without involving anxiety, depression, stress or any emotion which harms a student’s mental health. Every student deserves to continue living and learning happily and peacefully.