India is a country with a rich cultural heritage. Many tourist destinations here have rich histories behind them, which are preserved through paintings and murals on the wall, sculptures and monuments, tombs, forts, temples, etc. Likewise, there are many beautiful hill stations with breathtaking beauty and scenic locations.
“To travel is to live and take a journey into yourself.” Traveling to a new place always helps provide an escapade to the unknown and helps us explore life differently.
The thing about tourism is that the reality of a place is quite different from the mythology of it. – Martin Parr
It would be worthwhile to showcase the different aspects of a particular tourist spot and boost tourism and travel activities, forming a huge part of our economy. It also provides plenty of employment opportunities to the people in the country.
Some of the steps that the Indian government can take to boost tourism are:
1. To display DOs and DON’Ts prominently at every tourist center. A pictorial format or a Word format (the board should be displayed in English, Hindi, and regional) can be used.
2. “The power of social media is that it enforces necessary change.”
The government can create awareness on keeping the tourist spots clean through advertisements, social media, radio, newspapers, etc.
3. “Family holidays are always filled with really bright colored memories.”
The government authorities can introduce special holiday packages at affordable costs. Such packages will be useful for large families.
4. “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in work.”
The government can hire professionals, i.e., people who have tourism management degrees, to help provide strategical decisions, which would, in turn, boost tourism.
5. Hiring guides who are proficient in various foreign languages will play a big role in boosting tourism where foreign tourists visit more in number. They should also be trained in explaining the finer aspects of a particular tourist spot.
6. “Providing proper hospitality is a way of making guests feel at home.”
Hotels can be constructed in major tourist destinations, which all can afford, and proper transport facilities can also be arranged to connect various places in a particular tourist destination. By improving the standard facilities at famous tourist destinations, we can avoid the littering and defacing issues caused by the tourists.
7. “We can find the greatness of a culture in its festivals” – Siddharth Katragadda.
As our country is very famous for various festivals, the local governments can make arrangements for foreign tourists to view the celebrations. E.g., in Tamil Nadu, during the festival called Pongal, arrangements are made so that foreign tourists can view and enjoy the making of Pongal. Such arrangements can help tourists understand our culture and give them a deeper connection to our people and their practices.
8. Safety should be ensured to all the tourists to enjoy a wonderful holiday in our country.
Boosting tourism will help in improving the economy of the country. People should also play an important part in treating tourists like their own guests and help them in whatever way they can.
“Atithi Devo Bhava.”