Table of Contents Show
You are most likely a fan of chicken parmesan, looking for a change. After serving it with certain dishes for a long time, you wonder whether you have other options. You want to figure out what to eat with chicken parmesan for a change.
Interestingly, the list of the dishes you can serve with the meal without disappointment is relatively long. They include veggies, salads, and pasta. The secret is ensuring that the dish you choose complements the texture and flavor of your chicken parmesan.
What about delving into this topic without any further ado? So, check out what to eat with chicken parmesan for a tasty meal.
1. What Is Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken parmesan is one of the notable dishes in Italian-American cuisine. Despite its origin in Southern Italy, the dish has been common and popular in America since the early 1950s.
Besides America, this Italian dish is also popular in Australia. It is one of its pub food staples. Besides, some restaurants use it during eating contests. What is this meal all about that it attracts such popularity?
As the name suggests, the main ingredient of this dish is chicken. It would be best if you coated the chicken cutlets with bread crumbs. Ensure you season your bread crumbs with fresh mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. There is also the marinara sauce containing a tomato sauce base.
Besides being delicious, chicken parmesan is also a versatile dish. It is suitable for various occasions, including weekend or weeknight dinners. Whether it is a regular or special night, chicken parmesan never disappoints. Lastly, the main course meal is also easy to prepare, especially with the various chicken dishes.
2. Vegetable Dishes to Eat with Chicken Parmesan
If you are looking for ideal vegetable side dishes, your choices include the following;
2.1. Cucumber Tomato Salad
Expect it to be fresh and vibrant thanks to its ingredients, including sliced red onions, fresh tomatoes, and sliced cucumbers. Marinate them in red wine vinaigrette. You can enhance its flavor with Mexican ingredients such as chopped cilantro, oregano, and crumbled cotija cheese.
2.2. Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Even if you aren’t a Brussels sprouts enthusiast, roasting is enough to change that. Add Balsamic Glaze, onion, and Bacon for an even better taste. The final result is a flavor that’s both smoky and nutty, thus delicious.
2.3. Potato Gnocchi
It is no secret that this Italian potato dumpling is compatible with almost every Italian dish, and chicken parmesan isn’t an exception.
The Italian potato dumpling is also easy to cook. Remember to pair it with marinara sauce for an excellent taste.
2.4. Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus
Looking for a good side dish? Roasted asparagus won’t disappoint. Top it with Asiago cheese and bruschetta with the main course. This healthy gourmet dish should also have onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
It is easy to make, and within 15 minutes, it should be ready to serve. It is also suitable for almost every occasion. So, don’t hesitate to serve it during a holiday or weeknight dinner or brunch.
There are various breads one can serve with chicken parmesan, including the following;
3.1. Asiago Focaccia
This Italian bread is a perfect match since chicken parmesan contains mozzarella cheese and marinara sauce. Top the bread with fresh herbs for an incredible taste. Besides chicken parmesan, you can also use the bread for a focaccia sandwich or pizza. Consider serving it with salad, soup, or marinara, too.
3.2. Pesto Garlic Bread
It is a crusty loaf with a butter and pesto coating. The mixture is also infused with garlic for a flavorful taste. Besides chicken parmesan, this bread containing Pesto Butter is also compatible with other Italian dishes usually served during dinner. You can serve it with salad or soup or as an appetizer.
3.3. Italian Bread Sticks
Their striking resemblance to Olive Garden’s breadsticks is indisputable. They also contain garlic and bitter. Serve it with any Italian dish, salad, or soup.
Garlic bread spread and air fryer garlic knots are also great side dishes.
If you want to eat chicken parmesan with salads, your options are as follows;
- Panzanella salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and vinaigrette
- Marinated tomato salad containing basil and mozzarella with the tomatoes marinated in red wine vinaigrette
- Marinated green bean salads containing a red wine vinaigrette, parmesan cheese, cherry tomatoes, and red onions
- Italian chopped salad containing red onion, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, olives, tomatoes, provolone, salami, and a lemon oregano vinaigrette topping.
- Chopped vegetable Caesar salad containing cucumbers, tomatoes, quinoa, and a Greek Yogurt dressing, and Classic Caesar salad will also do the trick.
- Chopped vegetable salad containing fresh vegetables and ideal for a vegan and gluten-free diet
- Caprese salad contains extra virgin olive oil, basil leaves, mozzarella, and tomatoes.
- Burrata salad contains a burrata ball, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, and arugula.
The pasta you can serve with chicken parmesan includes the following;
5.1. Grilled Caesar Pasta Salad
Serve it with any Italian dish, including chicken parmesan. Besides rotini pasta, add a homemade Caesar dressing, croutons, parmesan cheese, and romaine leaves.
5.2. Zucchini Noodles
It is a flavorful side dish if you make it with bacon and pesto. Unlike pasta, it has low carbs and is compatible with chicken parmesan.
5.3. Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
It is plain pasta with fresh parsley, black pepper, parmesan cheese, bacon, and tomato pesto.
5.4. Spaghetti Aglio
Cook spaghetti with red peppers, garlic, and olive oil. This simple meal is excellently compatible with chicken parmesan.
6. Helpful Tips for Deciding What to Enjoy Alongside Chicken Parmesan
Pairing chicken parmesan with an ideal side dish doesn’t have to be difficult. These handy tips can guide you in finding the perfect complements for your chicken parmesan with ease.
- Choose a dish contrasting your chicken parmesan’s texture to enjoy the meal.
- The flavors of the chicken parmesan and the side dish should also be compatible.
- The idea is to enhance or make its healthiness lighter without compromising its taste.
- Since vegetables are healthy, adding as much as possible is advisable.
- The presentation and color are also a big deal for a visually appealing meal.
- It is okay to try things; you will be surprised by how your creativity and exploration can change how you enjoy this Italian dish.
Rest assured that following these tips will lead to a delicious pairing for your chicken parmesan, thus enhancing the taste of each meal.
Thanks to this discussion, what to eat with chicken parmesan will no longer be a mystery. After all, you have several options to consider when enjoying the meal.
You have most likely been serving it with plain pasta. However, there are various pastas you can substitute it with. You can also consider salads, vegetable side dishes, or bread.