In this article, we will discuss how to add money to PayPal using a linked bank account. We will also discuss adding money to a PayPal account even if you don’t have a linked bank account. You will also know about what is PayPal cash account and why you need it.
1. What Is PayPal Account?
PayPal account is an online payment system through which users can send and receive money safely and securely.
You can also use PayPal to pay for things you buy online and to receive international payments.
2. What Is a PayPal Cash Account?
PayPal introduced PayPal cash and PayPal cash plus in the year 2019. PayPal designed these accounts to let users use their money within the account.
2.1 Why You Need PayPal Cash Account?
If you want to store money in the PayPal account, you need to set up the PayPal cash and PayPal cash plus account.
2.2 Can I Use PayPal Without a PayPal Cash Account?
Absolutely Yes. You need a PayPal cash account only if you want to hold some balance of money in your PayPal account.
3. Methods To Add Money To PayPal Balance account
There are 4 methods that you can follow to add money to your PayPal account.
3.1 Method-1: Using A Linked Bank Account
You can add money to your PayPal account by linking your bank account, which is registered with the same name as of PayPal account.
For example, if the name on your PayPal account is John Smith, then the name of the linked bank account should also be John Smith. If not, then the transaction would be failed.
After linking the bank account, you can add money to your PayPal account through that linked bank account.
Follow these steps to add money through a linked bank account:
- Log in to your PayPal account. On the summary home page, you will find “Transfer money” below the PayPal balance.
- Next, click on “Add money to your balance.”
- A few instructions will be displayed on the screen. Follow those instructions carefully to add money to PayPal from your bank account.
- Your amount will be transferred from your bank account to your PayPal cash account within 3 to 5 business days.
3.2 Method-2: Using The PayPal App
Adding money to the PayPal balance account using the PayPal app is simple and quick.
PayPal App is specifically designed to make topping up your PayPal balance easy.
Follow these steps to add money to your PayPal balance using the PayPal app:
- Download and open the PayPal app on your device.
- Click on the PayPal balance and select “Add money.“
- Enter the amount of money you want to transfer to your PayPal account and confirm the amount.
- A few steps will be prompted on the screen, and follow those prompts to finalize the money transfer.
3.3 Method-3: Using PayPal Cash Card
First, I want you to know that this service is unavailable to users outside the United States. Only US users with a PayPal cash account can use this service.
A PayPal cash card is a debit card through which you can make payments using your PayPal balance to make purchases, just like a normal credit or debit card.
A cash card can also transfer money to your PayPal balance.
Follow these steps to add money to your PayPal balance using the PayPal cash card:
- Open the PayPal web Application and sign up for a PayPal cash card. You will get your PayPal cash card within 7 to 10 business days after PayPal has processed your request.
- You can activate your PayPal cash card after receiving your PayPal cash card.
- Now open up the PayPal app and click on “PayPal balance.”
- Next, click “Add Money” and select “Add cash“.
- Now you have to select a retail location that supports the PayPal cash card. Follow the next steps on the app only if you are close to the location.
- The app will give you a barcode, and you will have only one hour to complete the transaction. You could complete this transaction only at the location you selected.
- Once you reach the location, show the barcode to the cashier and let him scan the barcode and process the payment.
- You will now get the amount into your PayPal account within 15 minutes.
If you can’t reach the retailer you have selected within one hour, your barcode will be expired. You have to generate a new barcode to process your payment.
You can generate the new barcode by clicking on the “Generate Barcode” at the bottom of the screen.
3.4 Method-4: Requesting/Receiving Money From Friends And Family
The other three methods require a bank account or a PayPal cash card to add money to your PayPal account.
If you can’t add funds to your accounts with a bank account, then this method would be extremely helpful.
You can send a request to your friends and family members. Once they accept your request, you will receive money in your account.
Extra charges may apply under the following conditions:
- If the sender sends money using a credit or debit card to transfer money, then, in this case, extra charges may apply.
- Currency conversion rates may apply if the cash is sent from any other country.
There is also a disadvantage with this method, i.e., the sender who sends money via this method may need to pay extra charges to complete the transaction.
We have now discussed all four methods of how to add money to a PayPal account.
If you are still not able to transfer money to your PayPal account, the reasons could be one of the following:
- PayPal cash account or PayPal cash account has not been set up.
- PayPal would have limited your account.
- The feature you are trying to use is still unavailable in your country.
4. Points To Remember:
- You have to set up a PayPal cash account to start adding money to your PayPal account.
- You can only add money via linked debit card or credit card.
- Extra charges may apply in certain conditions.