The personal statement is of immense importance as it provides a comprehensive overview of the admissions committee and highlights all your accomplishments in a condensed document.
The main goal of writing an appealing SOP or statement is to showcase your interest in the particular course because they want to know what excited you about coming into their program. It is all about ‘putting your face on the page‘ through your scores (transcripts, GRE scores) and experience.
1) First Things First, The Introduction
Before writing your statement, prepare a document denoting the basic idea of the paper. Think about the overall message you want to convey to the reader before you begin writing.
The introduction should be gripping enough and must keep the reader hooked till the end of your document. Thus, you should put in effort to make it interesting and unique.
2) The Body
3) Providing Examples to Support Your Statement
This part restates your commitment and enthusiasm to pursue the particular program.
So, here are some points to remember
1) Delete sentences that aren’t absolutely necessary.
2) Every sentence should be important and clearly stated.
3) Project self-confidence and frame everything positively.
example- use phrases like ‘actively participated in’ rather than ‘was a member of’
4) Stay within the stipulated character in-line limit, and remember that this also includes spaces and blank lines.
5) Check your work and make sure that your grammar, spelling, and punctuation are perfect.
Get a print of the personal statement, as it will help you catch the errors you might have missed while reading it on the computer screen.
6. Read it out loud
You will catch any spelling and punctuation errors by hearing what you are trying to say. And as a result, you will be able to improve the tone and the sentence flow as well.
If written correctly, the personal statement should show that you are goal-oriented, can identify what you want, and have taken the right steps toward attaining those goals.
Originally posted 2017-07-11 21:40:01.