Haircare guide: best dry shampoo for oily hair!
What is Dry Shampoo?
Dry shampoo is a water-free alternative to shampoo, which makes the hair less oily, greasy, and odor-free. It also absorbs the sweat of the scalp. It is generally a powder, available in spray form or pest form.
Dry shampoo is a multi-functional beauty product invented early in the 1940s. Dry shampoos may contain color also so that they can match your hair color.
How to Apply Dry shampoo?
Make sections of your hair so that the shampoo is directly applied to your scalp because this is the area where all the oil is produced.
Shake the bottle of the dry shampoo so that it is ready to get applied.
Keep the bottle 8-12 inches away from the hair and spray the dry shampoo in short bursts. Make sure to move your hands slightly, don’t keep them static. If you held the bottle in one place, you might get residue marks.
If you think that some areas are more oily, apply more short bursts to get more added coverage.
A small tip:
After done with the front and sides, flip your hair and apply the dry shampoo on the oily hair of the back. It will give more volume to the oily hair.
Now, wait for a few minutes to absorb the dry shampoo by the hair.
Then massage with your finger so that the shampoo can be distributed thoroughly and penetrate deep into your hair, and the dry shampoo can work well by absorbing the excess oil.
Now brush your hair with a flat brush, and your hair is all set.
What not to do while applying dry shampoo?
Do not spray the dry shampoo on wet hair. Always apply it to dry hair.
Never spray the dry shampoo in excess.
If you want to know more, check this out.
Although dry shampoo is an alternative, it can not replace shampoo. You have to wash your hair with shampoo at a regular interval.
If you use the dry shampoo excessively, your hair may get dull and sticky. So use in moderation.
Advantages of dry shampoo for oily hair
#1 Dry shampoo absorbs excess oil and dust from the hair and scalp.
#2 Dry shampoo adds more volume to the sticky hair.
#3 When you are in a hurry and have very little time left for your hair care, dry shampoo is one of the best options.
#4 It can be used to absorb the odor of the hair after a workout session.
#5 If you blow out your hair after applying dry shampoo, this will also extend the wear time of the blowout, which can save your money.
Disadvantages of dry shampoo
- Excessive and long-time dry shampoo use can cause a dry and itchy scalp.
- It may split the hair ends and make them dry.
Oily Scalp and Oily hair
Before we know more about dry shampoo for hair care, we must understand the science behind oily and oily scalp hair.
There are so many sebum or oil-producing glands in our body underneath the skin surface, known as the sebaceous glands. When there is an excessive secretion of these glands from the skin surface, the skin becomes oily.
A person usually can have oily skin or oily scalp, or it may occur during hormonal changes, like- adolescence, pregnancy, consumption of OCPs (Oral Contraceptive Pills).
Similarly, there are hair follicles on our scalp. They don’t sprout hairs, and they produce sebum also.
Sebum is a natural oil that helps soften the hair and gives the hair its texture. But when there is an excess amount of sebum production, the problem of oily hair arises.
The scalp’s oiliness can worsen, particularly during summer, because the sweat along with the sebum tends to collect all the dust and make the hair more greasy and oily.
Options to get rid of Oily Hair
Shampoo more frequently.
Use a gentle shampoo, and there are so many options available in the market for shampoos for oily hair.
Avoid scratching your hair too firmly.
If you use harsh shampoos for oily hair, it may cause dryness to the scalp, and eventually, the scalp produces more oils which makes the hair more oily.
The food you eat also contributes to the oiliness of your hair. Avoid eating deep-fried foods, junk food, processed food, etc. Eat a healthy meal and add fruits to your daily meal.
The last one is the temporary solution. Just apply some talcum powder or dry Shampoo on your scalp, and your hair will look shiny, and the oiliness and the odor will go. Also, it can be called the cheat trick.
Want to learn more? Check this out!
How does the Dry Shampoo work?
The dry shampoo deposits oil-absorbing ingredients, like- charcoal, clay, rice starch, and silica on the scalp, and these oil-absorbing ingredients absorb dirt and oil from the scalp and make the hair less oily, less greasy, and shiny.
Nowadays, dry shampoos come in aerosol form, making them more effective.
What to look for when buying Dry shampoos?
To choose the best dry shampoos for your oily hair, you have to look for the proper ingredients that are oil-absorbing and gentle to your scalp.
You can look for the ingredients which soak oil, sweat, control odor, like- rice starch, silica, charcoal. The gentle ingredients should give proper nourishment to your hair without causing any harm to it.
If you want to match it with your hair color, look for the exact color and finish.
Tinted and chalkier formulas aren’t ideal for everyone. A white residue may not be an issue for people with blonde, white, platinum, silver, or otherwise light locks. There are also some purple-tinted powders for an icier look.
A brunette or black hair will want to look for either an invisible finish or something with a brown tint.
Many of the dry shampoos have a unique fragrance. Some may be stronger also. If you are sensitive to some special scent, avoid them and choose one with a clean scent.
If the dry shampoo you are looking for for your oily hair adds volume to your hair, give it an extra brownie point!
Now, let’s check some of the best dry shampoos out there.
10 Best dry shampoo for oily hair
Here are the 10 best picks for dry shampoos for oily hair.
#1 Klorane dry shampoo with oat milk
The Klorane dry shampoo with oat milk comes in two variants: the tinted version for brown hair and the natural tinted version for blonde hair. This dry shampoo is made in France.
- The main ingredient of this dry shampoo is organically harvested oat milk powder, which also nourishes the hair.
- Other ingredients include corn and rice starch with powerful cleansing action.
- It is suitable for all hair types.
- It has an Award-Winning Formula.
- It extends the life of a blowout.
- This dry shampoo is formulated without Parabens, Sulfates, preservatives, Silicones, Sodium chloride, Triclosan, and MIT.
- It also gives the hair excellent texture and volume.
- It comes with recyclable packaging.
- This dry shampoo has natural absorbent microspheres and silica.
- Sometimes it leaves a chalky residue on the hair.
- It may seem a little costly compared to the best dry shampoos out there.
You can give it a try, especially if you are a Vegan.
#2 Living proof perfect hair day dry shampoo
- This is a dry shampoo that has fast-absorbing dry shampoo powder.
- Healthy hair molecule: Reduces surface friction on hair to remove the powder.
- It has Odor neutralizers.
- This is a dry shampoo that provides a light, clean scent all day.
- This shampoo is free of silicones, phthalates, and parabens.
- It is safe for chemically treated hair.
- Color safe.
- PETA certified cruelty-free.
- It is gluten-free, as the company claims.
If you have chemically treated hair and are vegan, this is probably the best dry shampoo for your hair.
#3 Juicy Chemistry Plantain, Bamboo and Charcoal Dry Shampoo
It costs Rs. 400/- for 35 grams.
- Absorbs dirt and excess greasiness.
- Soothes and nourishes the scalp.
- Stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth.
- The ingredient includes rice starch, tapioca, activated charcoal, arrowroot.
- Cruelty-free and vegan.
- No synthetic fragrances.
- Water-free formulation
- Zero sulfates, zero dyes.
- Not all the ingredients come from organic farming, 66.76% from organic farming but 100% from natural farming. So it may be considered in pros also.
- It may seem costly.
#4 Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo
- Suitable for all hair types.
- Contains Kiwi extract: Lift residues from hair, leaving it feeling clean and refreshed.
- The ingredient includes potato starch which absorbs excess oil, sweat, and odor.
- Adds light texture.
- Nut oil-free
- Sulfate, paraben-free
- This dry detox shampoo has an invisible finish.
- It contains Amla oil which is not likely for oily hair.
#5 Batiste Dry Shampoo
- The range of the Batiste Dry Shampoo is vast. The range includes Rose gold, Original, Tropical, Fresh, Cherry. You can choose your favorite among them.
- Good for color-treated hair.
- Suitable for all hair types: Straight, Wavy, and Curly, textured.
- It is sulfate and sodium-free so that you can use it on keratin-treated hair also.
- Available for dark hair color also.
- It makes hair bouncy.
- This dry shampoo is a vegan product.
- This shampoo leaves a white residue on the hair.
#6 Dove Dry shampoo
- It is a common drugstore dry shampoo, so it can easily be available.
- It is budget-friendly.
- Free from paraben.
- Free from sulfate.
- Free from phthalate.
- This adds shine and bounce to hair.
- It is easy to use.
- Refreshing and revitalizing.
The Dove Dry Shampoo is available in different variants. The range is vast, like- Volume and fullness dry shampoo, Unscented dry shampoo, Invisible dry shampoo, Detox purify dry shampoo, Fresh coconut dry shampoo,.
As of now, there are 15 products of dry shampoo available from dove.
- According to a user review, it is not suitable for thin, fine hair.
- Users also claimed that this leaves a sticky residue.
#7 TRESemmé Pro Pure Dry Shampoo
- It is made with a 100% natural Tapioca cleanser.
- PETA approves this haircare brand.
- This is Aluminium free.
- This is also Dye-free.
- One can get this shampoo in a common drugstore.
- According to a customer review, it could soak oil better.
#8 Herbal Essences Blue Ginger Refresh Dry Shampoo
The ingredient contains blue ginger. It is not so well known, but it comes with many benefits.
It is believed to be a rich source of iron, sodium, vitamin A, and C. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. If you want to know more about this, you can refer to this article.
- It makes the hair silky and shiny.
- Gives volume to the hair.
- This is color-safe.
- pH balanced with 0% paraben.
- Gluten and colorant free.
- Paraffin and toluene free.
- Herbal Essences is certified as a PETA cruelty-free brand.
- Made at zero manufacturing waste to a landfill site, it is good for the earth.
- One may not like the scent of ginger, floral bouquets, and clean musk.
#9 PANTENE Never Tell Dry Shampoo
- Good for fine hair
- Gives volume to the hair.
- For color-treated hair, who wants to extend the time between washes to save the color.
- This comes with pro-vitamin B5
- According to a user review, it leaves the hair oily.
- The users also said that the packaging was not so good.
#10 R+Co Skyline Dry Shampoo Powder
- Mineral oil-free
- Thermal and UV protection
- The shampoo contains a unique non-aerosol powder with diatomaceous earth, mica, jojoba seed oil, and burdock root extract.
- Suitable for all types of hair.
For more reviews, you can check this amazing video.
These were some of the best dry shampoos for oily hair. You can choose your favorite dry shampoo from these according to your hairstyle and need.
Could you go check them out? And if you want to know more about hair care tips, you may find this article helpful.
Do let us know your views on this article as well.
Want exclusive deals and discounts? We have just the list for you, from web hosting deals to your next Zara purchase.
Get how-to guides to shopping online, starting essentials to launch your business and general life hacks. And get additional discounts when you use our content writing services. More details here.
Enter your email address to sign up for our newsletter!