Having a bad day? This is an article that will lighten your mood.
Making laws is a very serious issue. It is on these laws that our world rests. So it is obvious that before making a law, there will be plenty of deliberation. That every aspect and every clause of the law will be thoroughly discussed. Well here are some laws from around the world that will make you question whether it is a person or a mule is sitting behind locked doors making these laws! No offence intended.
1. In Arkansas, US, it is illegal to sound the horn on a vehicle at any place where sandwiches and cold drinks are served after 9 pm.
Some one clearly didn’t want to wake up the poor sandwiches before gobbling them down! How thoughtful.
2. In Los Angele, California, it is illegal to bathe two babies, at the same time, in the same tub.
This law was definitely sanctioned by someone who has never heard of time management! Are you kidding me? So they expect all parents with two or more babies to bathe them one at a time?! Do they know how much time it takes to bathe one fragile human?! Hello! We also have to go to work to provide for the same babies, you know!
3. In Riverside, California, kissing on the lips, unless both parties wipe their lips with carbonized rose water, is against local health ordinance.
O…Kay. All passionate lovers will now need to relocate, thanks to this dumb law! Imagine this- you are locked in your beloved’s embrace and you look into the eyes of each other and just when you are about to kiss each other an animated health inspector pops up in your mind, reminding you that you forgot to wipe your lips with ‘carbonized rose water’! A perfect moment ruined!
4. In China, according to the law, you must be intelligent to go to college.
Wonder which college the person who made this law, went to, if any at all!
5. In Illinois, a state law requires that a man’s female companion calls him ‘master’ while out on a date. This law doesn’t apply to married couples!
EXCUSE ME! This law is more offensive than funny! It’s sexist to the core. I bet the person who came up with this law is a male chauvinist, who felt super insecure in a world where feminism was coming up to bite people like him!
6. In Baltimore, Maryland, it is illegal to take a lion to the movies.
Well this law was most definitely sanctioned by the angry granny character in the Madagascar series. She clearly still has issues with Alex, the lion. Calm down, grandma!
7. In Nebraska, USA, it is not legal for a tavern owner to sell beer without simultaneously brewing a kettle of nice soup.
Heights! Beer and soup don’t even go together! Who came up with this? Well whoever you are, next time you are bored, don’t randomly come up with laws for fun. Play monopoly instead!
8. In Carmel, New York, a man can’t be seen in public while wearing a jacket and a pant that do not match.
Why? Just tell me WHY the hell not? No place for trend setters in Carmel, I guess. *sigh*
9. In Youngstown, Ohio, you may not run out of gas.
Well sure, I will abide by this law, AS SOON AS YOU INVENT A FOOLPROOF PLAN FOR HOW NOT TO EVER RUN OUT OF GAS!
10. In Oklahoma, USA, it is illegal to have a sleeping donkey in your bathtub, after 7pm.
“Are you sleeping in the bathtub again, donkey?”, said Shrek. “Well I am sleepy, and this bathtub is comfortable.” replied Donkey. “Well as comfortable as I may be, we are in Oklahoma and it’s 8 o’clock, SO GET OUY OF THE BATHROOM!” said Shrek and slammed the bathroom door.
Well sleeping donkeys in bathtubs is such a big problem that they made a law against it!
Well there you have it. 10 absolutely dumb laws ever made!
Name: Srijonee Basu
College Indraprastha College for Women
Course: English Hons.
Interests: Music, Movies, Books, Writing.