Many computer programs provide ample space to use the keyboard shortcut for strikethrough to make your work fast and easy. You can handle the document task swiftly with some keyboard shortcuts. You can press Ctrl + B to make the selected text bold and Ctrl + U to underline.
These shortcuts work well in each section of Microsoft, like Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. However, by default, MS Word provides no keyboard shortcut for strikethrough. But we can customize the strikethrough shortcut.
This article will teach you how to cross out text in different programs like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. If you do something regularly, the tool will become handy to use. You can double your output with the shortcut for the program you mostly use.
Microsoft Office features various keyboard shortcuts for strikethrough. You can also make a strikethrough keyboard shortcut in Microsoft Word.
1. Definition of Strikethrough
Sometimes, you need text for future reference in a file, but you don’t want to remove it. In this case, strikethrough is a tool to use. Strikethrough will guide the relevancy of the text present in the document. It looks like this:
strikethrough text. Strikethrough is an effective way to show the text deletion from a task document.
2. Usages of Strikethrough Shortcut
Strikethrough, also known as a strikeout, is a font effect. You can cross out words with a horizontal line. Strikethrough indicates the text is no longer valid or required. It also specifies the error in the text. You can strikethrough a word, group of characters, sentence, paragraph, and line in MS Word.
You can use a keyboard shortcut for strikethrough to indicate the irrelevant part to a user. It is useful when collaborating on a document with another person. You often see strikethrough to show price changes on labels. There are several ways to use strikethrough shortcuts in different platforms and programs.
The strikethrough command has dedicated keyboard shortcuts and key combinations, but we will discuss both direct and indirect methods for the strikethrough commands. Plus, we can adapt MS Word to make such a keyboard shortcut key combination. Customizing the keyboard dialog box is a way to set the keyboard shortcut of our choice.
3. Keyboard Shortcut for Strikethrough Command
3.1. Using Keyboard Shortcut for Strikethrough to Access Font Dialog Box
You can apply strikethrough by using the font dialog box.
- First, you must select the text you would like to strikethrough.
- After selecting the text, press Ctrl + D. The font dialog box displays.
- Hit Alt + K to select strikethrough.
- Now, press Enter.
This method is quick and easy to cross out the text into Microsoft Word.
3.2. Add a Strikethrough Shortcut to the Quick Access Toolbar
You can add a strikethrough shortcut key to the Quick Access toolbar to apply it quickly. It is easier to work with the quick access toolbar at the bottom of the ribbon.
- First, right-click on strikethrough in the Font group of the Home tab in Ribbon. A menu appears.
- Select the Quick Access Toolbar from the menu.
- Click the downward arrow on the right side of the Quick Access toolbar. Choose More Commands from the menu. A dialogue box opens.
- From the list of commands, you have to select strikethrough.
- Click on the up arrow until the button displays at the top of the list.
- Click Ok.
- Press Alt. The touch points appear in the Quick Access toolbar. It would be best if you use combinations of the key according to the bar within the list. If you move the keyboard shortcut for the strikethrough option to the first position, you press Alt and the number 1.
If the above methods don’t suit you, you can use the custom strikethrough keyboard shortcut.
3.3. Create Custom Keyboard Shortcut for the Strikethrough
Microsoft Word provides you with an excellent way to customize hotkeys for strikethrough. You can use the File Options to customize the keyboard shortcut for strikethrough. You can find this File option in the left corner. A new window with word options appears. When you click customize ribbon, a new one with many options pops up.
- Select the File tab in the left corner of Ribbon.
- Click the options. A dialogue window appears.
- Click on Customise Ribbon in the left panel.
- The keyboard customization dialogue box appears when you click the customization button in the right pane.
- Click Home under categories.
- Click Strikethrough under Commands.
- Press and hold the keys you want to use as a shortcut. Do not use common shortcuts such as Ctrl + P. It clashes. Create a shortcut you want.
- Click in the new shortcut key region. Attach a new shortcut key to the strikethrough command.
- Click assign.
- The default global template is Normal. So select Normal to apply changes globally.
- Click Close.
- Select OK from the Options dialog box.
Now you can use a shortcut key for strikethrough. The shortcut key is the toggle key. So you can remove the strikethrough effect by pressing the same key again. Customize keyboard dialog box has the option to select the keyboard shortcuts of your wish. To check its application, press the new shortcut key.
When you check the shortcut (press the new shortcut key), it should not conflict with another key.
3.4. Strike Out Text Using Strikethrough Button from the Ribbon
The simplest way to strikethrough in a Microsoft Word document is to use the dedicated button. Open MS Word, click the home tab, and select the text. Now click on the strikethrough button like
ABC. from Ribbon.
3.4.1. Use Your Ribbon Guide Shortcuts
You can use Word’s ribbon guide shortcuts to strikethrough from Ribbon.
- Select the text you want to strikethrough.
- Then press shortcut keys one after another: Alt, H, Some Number (according to the ribbon guide shortcut).
- When you hit the Alt button, a ribbon guide shortcut appears.
- Hit H to go to the Home tab.
- Now hit the number visible on the ribbon guide.
- The selected text strikes out.
- To remove the strikethrough, select the text and click strikethrough.
3.5. Using Shapes to Strikethrough
If you want to strikethrough content, you can also use the shapes available in the program. You can insert the line from the Insert tab. You can strikethrough any number of lines. You can cross out text fully or select an entire paragraph to be strikethrough.
- Access a Word document.
- Go to the Insert into Ribbon tab.
- Now hit the Shapes Down Arrow from Illustrations Group.
- Select the line form under the Line section.
- Next, draw one line above the text you want to strikethrough.
- You can modify the line’s color, width, and design.
You can also cross out text diagonally with the help of a line. This method creates a customized shortcut for strikethrough text. To change the width of a line, You need to click the shape outline drop-down menu from the shape format tab.
4. Excel Strikethrough Shortcuts
There are three ways to make text strikethrough in Excel. The two other methods are the same as explained above. Another way we are going to learn is below.
4.1. Excel Strikethrough Shortcut
- Select a cell you want to strikethrough.
- Press Ctrl + 5 to get strikethrough text.
- You can press the same key to remove the strikethrough.
4.2. Ribbon Guide Strikethrough in Excel
Ribbon guide shortcut keys are numbers and letters that pop up when you press Alt on the keyboard. To use Ribbon Guide shortcuts, You need to open the Font Dialog Box simply:
- Select the cell you want to strikethrough in your sheet.
- Hit Alt, H, F, and N, and the Font dialog box appears.
- Now press Alt K to strikethrough your selected text.
- Then tap Enter to accept the modifications.
You can command with your Alt key if you don’t want to remember shortcuts.
4.3. Excel Strikethrough Shortcut Using Your Format Cells Dialog Box
To add strikethrough in MS Excel, a Microsoft Office product using format cells is an exciting strikethrough feature of MS Excel. This is another method to use the strikethrough feature provided by Microsoft Corporation.
- Select a cell, then press Ctrl + 1.
- The format cells dialog box displays.
- Hit F to jump the Font tab and Alt K to cross out text.
- Hit enter to make the changes.
5. PowerPoint Strikethrough Shortcuts
PowerPoint has the same set of rules to strikethrough any text. In the method, as in Word, you can use the Font dialog box shortcut or Ribbon Guide Shortcut key.
5.1. PowerPoint Strikethrough Shortcut Using Font Dialog Box
- Select the text in PowerPoint Slide.
- Press Ctrl + T to open the Font dialog box window.
- In the Font Dialog Box, Hit Ctrl + K to select the single strikethrough option.
- Hit Enter for Okay.
As in Microsoft Word, the Font dialog in PowerPoint gives you multiple formatting options such as All Caps, Double Strikethrough and Small Caps.
5.2. Strikethrough Using Ribbon Guide in PowerPoint
- Select the text that you want to strikethrough on your slide.
- On the keyboard, press keys in order Alt, H, 4.
- Hitting this will apply strikethrough on text.
- You can remove the strikethrough effect by pressing the keys again.
6. Adding Strikethrough in Google Docs
Google Docs is an emerging platform in the field of editing software. It provides online functionality and feature that is easy to use. The strikethrough characteristic is used abundantly as many individuals share their inputs. The strikethrough keyboard shortcuts for Google docs are ALT + SHIFT + 5. You can see the strikethrough shortcut option by selecting Format > Text > Shortcut.
7. Final Words
Shortcuts for strikethrough in an MS Word document and Microsoft PowerPoint is a way to express different ways without deleting a particular section of Word docs. Double strikethrough is a new thing in the Word that you can try.