People when engaged in their home tasks or projects works, may accidentally have ink stains on their clothes. If it is newly bought, we will become panic about how to get ink out of clothing. Don’t worry we can get rid of ink from clothing. Different fabrics need different cleaning methods as it suits.
Fresh ink stains acts are easier to remove than dried stains. There are home remedies that help how to get ink out of clothing. Mainly situations will be faced in the clothes of students in the way using ink pens will make clothes dirty and tough to remove ink stains from.
If staining in your favorite shirt or jeans, if the stain is bought from ink or ballpoint pen ink. You may throw away the dress with lots of sadness. Don’t throw away, in this article we give you remedies for how to get ink out of clothing.
1. Different Types of Ink Stains?
Ink stains are common on the clothes of students, teachers, and office staff. Before looking for a way to remove ink stains from clothes, we must check what type of ink stains is applied on the clothes.
Below mentioned are the types of ink types that are commonly faced by us.
1.1. Water-Based Ink
Water-based inks are commonly used in fountain pens and gel pens. These types of inks are thin, non-greasy, and simple to remove from clothes. If it is a fresh stain, it can be removed by boiling water. If the ink stain is dried you must apply the stain remover itself.
1.2. Oil-Based Ink
This type of ink is used in ballpoint pens which are thick and oily and made with a combination of grease and dyes. For the removal of these types of stains, they should be pre-treated. Ballpoint pen is commonly used by college students.
1.3. Permanent Ink Stains
As per its name, it is permanent. The permanent ink stains will be hardened in the clothes and tough to remove or will be impossible. Permanent markers will come under this category. These are a tough stain that needs strong methods for their removal.
2. Can We Get Ink Stains from Clothes?
If your clothes are filled with ink stains and you must remove that stubborn stains from the clothes. Here we have different options for how to remove ink from clothing. Some remedies will work faster and some based on the fabric type.
There are some tips to be considered while removing water-based ink stains or oil-based stains from clothes. Stain persists for a long if we do not consider it. Some ink stains will be in the inconspicuous spot which we have not noticed, and seems after a long time, will be difficult to remove ink stains. So let us know how to get ink stains from clothes.
3. How to Get Ink Out of Clothing: 6 Natural Remedies
Let us see the natural and simple home removing ink stains from clothes. This article clearly describes the ways how to get ink out of clothing.
3.1. Using Stain Remover
If you have stain remover in your home, firstly you can try this on the stained garment. If the remover is alcoholic, it works well in oil-based or ballpoint pen stains. But instructions should be read properly before applying to the colored clothes.
- Keep the stained cloth on a clean towel and soak stained cloth with cool water.
- Apply the stain remover to the stained area and gently scrub it into the fabric with a clean cloth or soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Leave the remover in the garment for 30 minutes as prescribed on the label.
- After that rinse the area, if the stain is no more wash it off with warm water.
- If the stain remains again in the garment, repeat the process.
Always try to use the stain remover in an inconspicuous area, it works to apply it to the remaining portion.
3.2. Using Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is an excellent solution for oil-based ink stains, as it has alcohol content in it. It also works in other ink stains. Proper care should be taken as rubbing alcohol damage clothes such as silk, rayon, wool, etc. Apply in the inconspicuous area first for the spot test result.
- First, you should keep the cloth on a clean surface.
- The spot test must be done by applying it on a small portion.
- Pour rubbing alcohol into a clean cloth and blot the stain till the ink stain lifts.
- Add little more rubbing alcohol and leave it for a few minutes.
- Blot the stain again with the clean cloth, and repeat till it remove ink from the clothes.
- Wash the stained cloth with water, only air dry the garment if the stain is removed.
3.3. Using Regular Laundry Detergent
Dish soap can be applied to all types of fabrics. Water or oil-based ink stain removal will be more accessible by using this as it contains alcohol. It also removes ballpoint pen ink stains.
- Place the clothing on a clean paper towel.
- Wash the stain with a cloth, as the ink stain begins to remove from it.
- Put some little dish soap or detergent on the stain.
- Just wait for 5 minutes and gently scrub on it and wash the garment with warm water.
- If stains remain repeat the process till the garment removes ink stains.
3.4. Using Hair Spray
If you are using hair spray try this to get ink out of clothes. If it is an alcohol stain applied on the entire stained garment.
- Place a paper towel underneath the garment.
- Use the hair spray on the ink stain and clean the stain with a cloth.
- Repeat the process as needed and wash the garment with warm water, and air dry as always.
3.5. Using Cornstarch and Vinegar
Using cornstarch and vinegar that are included in our natural ingredients. it is effective in water-based ink stains, as oil-based ink stains or ballpoint ink need something powerful for its removal. Hence it is used to remove ink from clothing.
- Keep the garment on clean paper towels.
- Soak the stained area in little vinegar.
- Mix these two ingredients and apply the paste to the stain and let it dry.
- Wash it with warm water and blot dry the garment. If it is not effective try another solution.
3.6. Using Nail Polish Remover
This remover is an oily mixture, so it will help to clean ink stains. Ballpoint pen stain will be removed by using this method. As nail polish remover is a strong remedy it will also work in permanent ink stains. Remover must not damage the garments.
Apply remover to desired spot of ink stain and check the garment, if no more ink stains then proceed. Repeat the process if needed. This works for how to get ink out of clothing.
4. How to Get Ink Out of Clothing after Drying
If you have an ink stain on your clothes and did not notice it. After machine washing, you have seen the stains on the clothing. If the dress is white, you can bleach it and wash the garment. For other garments, follow the steps:
- Use a stain remover to the stained area to remove ink stains from clothes.
- Wait for a few minutes and hand washes the garment.
- Then soak a cotton swab or cotton ball with rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and apply to the stain.
- Scrub the area, until the stain removes, wash off with warm water, and air dry if needed.
5. Can We Get Permanent Marker Out of Clothes
A permanent marker is a tough stain that needs strong removers to get ink out of clothes. Just try the hand sanitizer at the earliest to get quick removal of these markers from clothes.
Hot water treatment can also be tried as a solution to this problem. Another strong remedy is rubbing alcohol which acts on strong ink stains.
There are some cases in which we will get tense when our clothes have ink stains. After reading the above article we may find many easy remedies for how to get ink out of clothing. Rubbing alcohol will act as a strong remover of ink stains.
Washable markers are available in the stationary shops that help to do our projects without getting tensed. It can be cleaned simply with a hand wash. Hot dryers may also help to get out stains from clothes. Here are summaries of the home remedies for how to get ink out of clothing.
To read more click here
Q1. Can baking soda remove from clothes?
Try to use baking soda with warm water and apply the paste to the garment. Just blot for a few minutes. If the stain removes, rinse with water.
Q2. Which is the best remover of clothes?
Rubbing alcohol is used to clean stains from clothes. It is alcohol it works well in oil ink stains. Some fabric may fade color while using this alcohol.
Q3. Does sanitizer fade clothes?
Some sanitizers may contain bleaching ingredients that when applied to the clothes may fades the color of the clothes. So use only after reading the instructions on the sanitizer bottle.
Q4. Does ballpoint pen ink remove from clothes?
Ballpoint pen ink is oily, so it needs strong removers to get it out of clothes. So use removers that will work best on it.