We are very much aware of what garlic is and its beneficial advantages and uses in a human being’s life. It is one of the major constituents of our regular meals. It enhances the taste of a dish and makes it mouth-watering. It gives all the eatables a special lip-smacking and relishing taste. But do we know that garlic has many other secret facts hidden in it apart from just being used as a taste enhancer or eatable?
Here are a few interesting facts about a normal garlic that most of us are not aware of:
- Garlic is used in the flag of Europe. The Europeans have a strong belief that a garlic acts as a shield against all the evil spirits and dangerous vampires. It protects and keeps them human beings away from the peril magic and attack of such evil spirits and vampires.
- There are many religious beliefs about related to garlic. Most of the religions like Hinduism, Christianity, Jainism, Buddhism and Islam, forbid the intake of garlic or any eatable containing garlic before entering the holy places like temples, mosques, etc because they think that its scent can distract a person from performing his or her rituals.
- Garlic, if burnt along with camphor, acts like an insecticide as it kills mosquitoes, houseflies and other insects.
- China is the largest producer of garlic and due to this reason, every Chinese dish is cooked with the addition of garlic in an excessive amount.
- During the First World War, when there were least medical facilities available, garlic was used as an antiseptic to cure the wounds.
- Garlic has strong medicinal effects and can be used to treat common cold and cough. It also burns excess cholesterol within our bodies.
- Garlic is not only used in meals but can also have tasty effects in sweet dishes like Kheer. It is one of a preferable ingredients used in foreign countries to enhance the taste of sweet dishes like Kheer.
- It’s not easy to get rid of the smell of garlic. So one has to rub his or her palms over any article made of stainless steel to minimise the smell of garlic.