Caring for and spending time with our beloved elderly parents and loved ones is extremely necessary for both sides to reconnect. Not only that, this can also help us to get rid of our day to day stress and tension .But sometimes it can get really difficult to make things interesting and entertaining for our beloved elderly parents. Now, this could be because of generation gap or may be because of their incapability to move as swiftly as we do. Hence, irradicating a few of the fun activities. But, no worries! We still got a bunch of activities that can spread smiles on the faces of both you and your aged loved ones.
Let’s take a look at the top activities to enjoy with your elderly parents:-
1.Exercising:- Definitely you can’t go about asking your aged parents to pick up heavy dumbbells or doing summer saults or planks with you, but performing light exercises could possibly lift up both of your moods and contribute to your health at the same time. Such exercises could include chair squats or wall push ups or maybe Tippy for lifts. Such movements would help to maintain muscle mass and increase bone density. Heavy exercises and strong movements should be strictly avoided.
2. Board games and cards :-
Ever thought of asking them if they wanna play something? If you haven’t, what have you been waiting for? Noooo, I am definitely not asking you to play hide and seek and wall touch with them but board games are games too, right? So, how about playing chess or ludo? You could possibly buy a monopoly or a set of cards home tonight! These Games would refresh minds and definitely add flavour to their lives.
3. To the park :- Taking them to the park for a troll or for morning or evening walks could give you more quality time with them which could help to develop healthy conversations and refreshing minds.
4. Movies :- How about bringing them back some good old memories? Sounds like a plan! Prepare some snacks, put on some old movies of their times. This would remind them of so many good things which they would love to share with you and this could develop interesting conversations.
5. Cooking :- Cooking with your old mom is a really good way that might help to uncover recipes you never knew. Her willing participation in the field of cooking could be a real advantage to your relationship with her. This can turn out to be a really interesting way to rebound with her.
6. Vacation :- If your parents are still Mobile, it is a great Idea to take them out on a vacation to a place that is peaceful and soothing. So take a few days off from your work and take them to a hill station or somewhere they have forever wanted to go. This could give you relief from your hectic office work and improve the chances of sharing some interesting experiences with them.
7. Temples, churches and other places to worship:- In my knowledge and opinion, people as they grow old are more likely to become peaceful and like to worship. Taking them to temples, churches or anywhere else where they could pray might not be a fun activity but is a really good idea.
8. Satisfy their needs and pamper them:- Last but not the least. Indulge in all sorts of activities that show that you care and are there for them. Bed time Stories or songs could make them feel more secure and attached to you. Making them food items that are light and healthy and would at the same time satisfy their ‘taste’ requirements could also add up your efforts to pamper and comfort them.
Love is all they need. Love them. Take care of them. Be with them. Don’t be rude, understand their needs. 🙂