Extracted from coconut, fresh coconut oil has a lot of beneficial ingredients. It possesses many health benefits like skin protection, moisturiser, and so on. This is so filled with benefits that it is recommended by dermatologists because of its natural properties, it is helpful for the skin. The question arises does coconut oil help dandruff? The answer to it will be decoded in the following article.
1. Composition of Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins and minerals have a lower concentration in the composition. Rather than that, it contains 100% fat content of which 80% to 90% is occupied by saturated fat, which is considered a “bad” fat for our diet. The firmness in the coconut is found due to this fat present in it. One of the properties of coconut oil is that it solidifies at room temperature and has to be heated at 78° Fahrenheit to make it in liquid form or to melt it.
Talking about fatty acids in coconut oil 47% of the content is lauric acid. Lauric acid is the reason for the bad cholesterol in the bloodstream but it also possesses antimicrobial properties when it is applied to the skin. Coconut oil is often used to kill bacteria in an open wound or cut and prevent any further damage. It has grown in popularity recently and it is believed to help in weight loss to treat the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
2. Nutritional Contents of Coconut Oil
When we take a tablespoon of coconut oil it contains:-
- Zero grams of protein
- 13.5 g. Of fat of total quantity and in which saturated fat is 11.5 g
- Zero mg of cholesterol
- 121 calories
- Little or zero vitamins and minerals
- Vitamin E
- No fibre
3. How does Coconut Oil Helps Skin?
Because of its high oil content and its moisturising effect. Coconut oil is good for the skin, especially dry skin. Some of the benefits of coconut oil on the skin are:-
- It is used to moisturise dry skin and helps people who are suffering from conditions like eczema.
- Open wound healing is another benefit of coconut oil.
- The inflammation caused by the UVB rays is also healed from the coconut oil.
- It is also used to treat rashes like atopic dermatitis.
- It also shows properties like antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
- Due to the antioxidants and antifungal properties present in extra virgin coconut oil, it protects the skin and makes the skin appearance good and prevents fungal infections.
- In infants, it helps in strengthening the skin barriers for protecting them from various health complications.
4. How to Use It on the Skin?
As it acts as a skin moisturiser. So like the other moisturisers, it can also be applied by rubbing it on the skin directly. Take a few drops of coconut oil. Coconut oil is absorbed by the skin very quickly.
For first-time users before applying it on the skin, it should be tested by applying it on a small area. It should be done to check for any potential allergies or reactions from the oil on the skin. Many times it is included in the diet but it is not so effective for skin-related benefits.
When applying coconut oil directly to the skin it should be checked. If the user is having oily skin it should be prevented as it may be useful for acne in people not having oily skin but for people with oily skin, it is not that beneficial.
Also, it has the property to clog pores so for some people it can make their acne problem worse after using it.
Coconut oil cannot treat medical conditions so a doctor has to be visited for using it on any medical condition and before using it as a home remedy.
5. Benefits of Using Coconut Oil on Hair:-
It is beneficial for softening the hair and eliminating frizz on the hair. It happens as coconut oil provides a barrier against the harsh chemicals, UV rays, and the physical friction between here, it reduces the damage and also smoothness the cuticle.
It is also useful in keeping the curls hydrated all the time. It is beneficial for people having curly hair as curly hair tends to dry.
It moisturises both the inside and outside of the curl and the result is smooth stands with little flyaway, itchy scalp, scalp irritation and frizz present. This oil helps in preventing breakage and helps in hydrating the hair.
Coconut oil is also beneficial because it eliminates dandruff present in hair. Also, other than dandruff it is beneficial for eczema and dry scalp being a hydrating and anti-inflammatory property, it is also seen to promote healthy bacteria. This dry and flaky hair is held by the lauric acid present in the oil and also this lauric acid re-balances the microbiome in the scalp.
Also, it is beneficial in preventing hair loss. The oil helps in controlling breakage, fortifying strands, and making the hair look denser. The fatty acids found in coconut oil prevent breakage and also promote length retention.
Coconut oil helps in creating a clean and clear area for the hair to help grow. The dryness of the hair is controlled by the fatty acids and the vitamins present and this prevention from the major cause of breakage helps hair growth.
6. Does Coconut Oil Help Dandruff?
The flakes caused by dandruff are removed by the presence of lauric acid in coconut oil. Microbial balance formed as a result of applying coconut oil to hair to soothe the dry and flaky scalp. Coconut oil can be regarded as a natural way for treating dandruff.
But before it can be brought into use, it should be tested for any side effects or allergies and then used. If it does not suit you, it has to be stopped from applying. It can worsen dandruff condition or any skin conditions.
7. How to Use Coconut Oil for Controlling Dandruff?
- It can be applied to various shampoos and other hair products which have coconut oil in their composition. Also, it can be applied directly to the scalp as follows:-
- One or two tablespoons of coconut oil scooped out to be applied directly to the scalp.
- All the areas over the scalp should be covered.
- It should be kept like that for 30 to 60 minutes before washing it out.
- After 60 minutes it should be removed by rinsing the hair with shampoo. The shampoo will remove the greasy property of the coconut oil.
- After everything is done, the last step is to comb the hair and the flakes will get removed. The combing should be done from the base of the scalp to the tips of the hair.
8. Side Effects:-
It is safe to use for hair and skin, but there are some side effects associated with it.
- If someone is having eczema then they must avoid using coconut oil.
- Sometimes it also irritates the scalp. People who feel this irritation should avoid using it. Coconut oil, for example, in case of dandruff formation due to seborrheic dermatitis can make the scalp oilier and it can worsen the dandruff condition.
- Always test the coconut oil before using it for sensitivity. The oil should be spread over a small area and kept for observation for a day. If there is any reaction like rashes, itchiness, or hive, the oil should not be used any further.
9. How Many Times to Use Coconut Oil?
It should be applied once or twice a week and if still there is dandruff and any evident change is not seen then a doctor should be visited.
It should not be used daily or too often as it can cause the skin to become greasy, and oily and in some conditions can worsen the skin condition.
10. What is The Effect of Coconut Oil on Hair and Scalp?
It provides a barrier that blocks the bacteria and irritants that cause damage. It nourishes the hair. The lauric acid that is present in the coconut oil provides moisture and lessens the frizz. Coconut oil heals damaged hair.
It has no chemicals or additives and hence it is safe to be used. If any young child or baby has to get anything for scalp care, this is the safest option for that. Symptoms of psoriasis are reduced by using coconut oil. It doesn’t heal the condition but provides relief from the condition.
11. How Coconut Oil Can be Used for Hair?
It should not be used in the morning as it takes time to fully get absorbed and hence it will be giving a greasy look to the hair. The best time to apply it is at night. Also, dry hair is the one which will work best.
The coconut oil should be warmed and liquefied and this liquefied oil is to be massaged over the hair with the help of a palm. The coconut oil should be able to be warmed and it should not be hot. It opens the hair cuticles and the molecules are then allowed to permeate the hair.
Every section of the hair is to be coated and so it should be applied in small sections. The hair which is more damaged and driest should be coated with more coconut oil and it should be less coated in areas where there is healthier hair.
The scalp should not be applied with coconut oil if someone’s hair is thinner or it is easy to make it oily.
12. Time Interval While Using Coconut Oil for Dandruff
There should be a time interval of around 20 to 30 minutes between the time of application and the time of rinsing and removing it. The time should be more when the hair is dry extremely. The hair should be covered with a shower cap and it should be wrapped with a hot towel or can also be warmed by using a hair dryer. This allows the oil to sink deeper into the scalp by allowing the cuticle to open up.
Pure coconut oil can be applied as a hair mask if this is the case then the hair should be rinsed a lot of times to get the oil out of the hair. This method needs the hair to be rinsed a lot of times.
13. Amount of Coconut Oil for Dandruff
The amount of coconut oil should be made less and applied when the hair becomes oily or the hair feels weighted. After showering, a person should use coconut oil as a de-tangler. This is done mainly for extremely dry hair. It gives a shiny and hydrated look to the hair. You can also use coconut oil as a daily moisturiser.
14. How Dandruff is Caused?
Malassezia is a type of fungus that usually causes dandruff. Sometimes this fungus also helps in breaking down oil into the skin. But in some cases these fungi are harmful and when there is too much fungus oleic acid is left behind that irritates the skin. This is one way in which dandruff is formed.
Another case in which dandruff is caused is oily skin. This is a type in which dandruff is caused due to seborrheic dermatitis. Dandruff formed in this case is like regular dandruff but it is more yellow and it is oilier. This condition can be worsened if there is a lot of oil used or if the hair is not washed regularly.
15. How Dandruff Can Be Prevented?
● A method for preventing dandruff is to regularly wash hair with shampoo and remove the oil from the hair oily skin and hair mostly cause dandruff and thus shampoo will remove the oil buildup from the scalp.
● Using some essential oils after washing hair can also help in the removal and prevention of dandruff. Coconut oil is one such option that has to be applied at night for the best results.
● Dandruff is treated with a mixture of virgin coconut oil with aloe vera. This is an effective way of treating dandruff reducing itchiness, boosting hair growth and it also soothes the skin.
● Another way to get rid of dandruff with coconut oil is to mix the egg white with virgin coconut oil. It also will remove the accumulated dirt and avoid excess greasiness.
● When the dandruff condition is less or mild, virgin coconut oil is very effective. But when the condition is such that the dandruff is not getting removed, all the dandruff formation is still going on then the person should visit a dermatologist.
Click here to read more with us.