Quality surveillance is no longer a myth thanks to the new and improved technologies of the 21st century. Now photos and videos from street cameras are more like artistic shooting. However, what is the secret of such progress? The appearance of PTZ cameras has become a real find and makes it possible to install several such cameras instead of 4-5 in one area.
They give a complete overview of the protected object. If you want to keep up with the times and secure your apartment or business, security cameras are not something you should save on. Do you know for what else you might need a high-quality PTZ camera? Our friends or relatives do not always live next to us, but we want to see them more often.
The possibilities of new technologies will allow you to consider a person dear to you from all sides. Moreover, they will seem sitting in front of you, not through a computer monitor. If you want to start blogging or streaming, excellent quality can attract new audiences to your channel. You wonder what kind of cameras they are and what else they can surprise you with? Then be sure to read the article to the end.
What Is a PTZ Camera?
PTZ is a new generation camera with pan and tilt zoom. It is due to the mechanical parts that provide tilting up and down, turning from left to right, and zooming in/ out scenes. Their primary purpose is to monitor wide open areas with the necessary 180 or 360-degree visibility and are deployed at guard posts. Another advantage of the new camera technology is the remote control. Depending on the initial settings, the cameras can automatically track any activity caused by movements.
PTZ Camera: Most Popular Types
- IP Pan-Tilt Camera is excellent for live streaming, video conferencing, and others. Panoramic tilt produces clear images and high-quality videos. The quality does not deteriorate when processing your video due to the high speed (up to 60 frames per second). These servers receive and send received frames over the IP network. You need to connect via USB, Ethernet cable, or Wi-Fi.
- The PTZ PoE Camera has the same functions as the previous type, but the connection method is different. It uses an Ethernet cable. Generally, the connection distance is much longer than Wi-Fi.
- PTZ Analog Camera cannot transmit video data automatically and need to convert and process the footage. Connect to digital video recorders (DVR) via coaxial cables.
- The main advantage of the Wireless PTZ Camera is the transmission of video over a wireless network, but transmitter sets can also be used. It is most often used for outdoor surveillance over long distances.
- The outdoor PTZ Camera is highly resistant to natural elements and can withstand more extreme temperatures and weather conditions.
PTZ Camera: Main Pros and Cons
The benefits of PTZ Cameras are presented in their features.
- Most of them support optical zoom for viewing and capturing distant objects.
- They are often used to monitor large areas. The camera can move between zero pan/tilt and full 360 pan/180 tilt, depending on the model.
- Cameras can set the autopilot to scan a predefined area and navigate the pattern. For example, set to zoom every 30 seconds to capture different regions of interest across the entire area of interest.
- Automatic tracking based on movement.
- Cameras can be configured manually and remotely to track suspicious activity.
Even IP camera technology may have some cons:
- The camera can continuously pan to the next preset regardless of what is happening in the field of view. Therefore, it is better when a guard is controlling the cameras.
- An improperly installed camera can cause mechanical and legal problems.
- A common problem is command delay, namely, the delay between the moment when the operator gives the command to adjust the FOV of the camera and the FOV change on the monitor.
Differences Between PTZ Cameras and Other Cameras (Bullet and Dome)
We have made a comparison table with the main indicators you should pay attention to when choosing a camera.
|Location||The second floor, outdoors, large indoor areas||Anywhere outside (walls, street windows)||Soffit outdoors, under the ceilings indoors and eaves|
|Field of View||360° endless pan and 90° tilt||70°-100°||70°-100°|
|Visibility||8 inches||2-8 inches||4 inches|
|Night Vision||190 ft||100ft||100ft|
What Are the Best PTZ Cameras
Here are some of the fantastic options that you may want to buy:
- Honey Optics 12x – 4K Live Stream PTZ Camera gives you access to low latency audio and video devices anywhere on the network for various A/V programs. You will not be limited to one connected system. Additionally, it has a composite output that can be used alone to provide 576i/480i resolution.
- Honey Optics 20x 4K Camera provides a low access delay anywhere in a network for different applications. You will not be limited to connecting directly into one system.
As you can see, the latest hidden camera technology has better performance than older models in photo and video shooting. They are more agile, have a remote control, and have better night vision. However, truth is born in discussions. What category of people do you think should buy a PTZ camera, and what function impressed you the most? Let’s discuss!