When life sucks; it seems like the whole world is crumbling, but that’s not true. Life will fall into one, like a new beginning. Hold on to hope and enjoy each moment of life. Why does life suck? Many of you reading this would have asked yourself this question a thousand times at various stages in your life.
When life seems to fall apart with all the negativities, you might have found it too hard to stay positive in trying times. So why don’t you take a break from all the unwanted thoughts and read along?
1. A Life Worth Living
Some people find their worst enemy within themselves. Being the destructor of your life is ultimately the most unfortunate thing.
Constantly manipulated by your thoughts and eventually yielding to the monster that lives in your head which leads to your ultimate end is the worst kind of situation in life.
Various reasons can make you feel worse about your life. It can be mental health issues, a toxic family, low self-esteem, lack of self-awareness, victim mentality, health issues, negative thoughts, etc.
Conquering these challenges can be a strenuous task. But with conscious effort, anyone can live a productive and meaningful life. First, you need to recognize what is holding you back in your life. What makes you think that life sucks!
Here are some top reasons, take a look.
2. 11 Reasons for Thinking Why Does Life Suck?
2.1. Mental Health Issues
Mental health is one of the popular topics of discussion in contemporary society. People lack proper knowledge regarding mental health issues.
Significant changes are needed in the approach of the public towards mental illness. Still, we can find stigma surrounding this topic.
Before we dive into mental health issues, we need to know what mental health I and why a person should keep good mental health.
I know it is not that easy. It is a necessity when it comes to moving forward in life.
2.1.1. What is Mental Health?
Mental health can be defined as the well-being of a person’s emotional, social, and psychological components.
In today’s world, a person may find it hard to keep up with societal expectations and standards. There is immense pressure on every individual to achieve the unrealistic goals set by society.
- Stress, suffering, death of loved ones, break up, trauma, and pain can take any person to their low point in life.
- Life sucks at that point, you feel like you are in a swirling storm.
- You will become too afraid to take a step forward in life. Situations like this can affect a person’s mental health. It will also reflect in their actions.
A person with poor mental health finds it hard to cope with life.
2.1.2. Mental Illness
Our mind and body are connected, anything that badly affects the mind can badly affect our body. Mental illness is a health problem faced by many individuals worldwide. From person to person the main reasons for mental illness will vary considering the different factors.
Mental illness affects thoughts, feelings, mood, and disposition. There are different sorts of mental illnesses. If these illnesses are left unaddressed it would severely affect a person’s capabilities to usher a fruitful life.
126.96.36.199. Types of Mental Illness
There are many forms of mental illness. Personality disorders, eating disorders, psychotic disorders, anxiety disorders, trauma-related disorders, mood disorders, and substance abuse disorders are the major categories.
Depression is considered as a mental health disorder. It has symptoms like persistent feelings of anguish and desperation. One may go through extreme feelings of emptiness in life.
A person with depression may find it difficult to wake up in the morning and carry on with daily life—other common symptoms like extreme fatigue, lack of concentration, and feeling of worthlessness. In severe cases, self-harm and suicidal thoughts are common among depressed people.
2.2.1. Causes of depression
The causes of depression can be different, traumatic life events, medical conditions, stressors, and even genetics can also be a reason for depression.
This can affect anyone, regardless of gender, age, or background.
2.2.2. What to do?
Depression will become a hindrance to leading a good life.
Negative thoughts, lack of happiness, and low self-esteem can make depressed people ask themselves questions regarding their life. One of them will always be Why does life suck?
The “Shame of being mentally ill“, keeps people away from addressing their problems in life. If you suffer from depression, understand you are not alone.
There are many out there facing this problem. Asking for help is normal.
- You can talk to a best friend who can understand your condition.
- Consult a Clinical Psychologist if symptoms stay more than two weeks. Fighting depression is not an easy thing.
- But once you decide to break free from the shackles of it. Healing is possible but it requires effort.
- Helping people with mental health issues is our responsibility, offer help before something goes wrong. Depressive people are capable of doing irreversible things to themselves.
2.3. You Try to Control External Events
Trying to control everything in your life can put you in a permanent position where you ask yourself, Why does life suck?
Realize no one can control external events happening around the world. Despite everything in life, you will encounter problems that are out of your control.
So stressing about uncontrollable things will make the situation worse. Remember you can only control your actions.
2.4. Bad Things Happen
Suffering is part of life. It’s ok to feel bad once in a while. Sometimes life sucks, but it is ok!
Here is some excellent advice you can not prevent bad things from happening in your life but you can find effective ways to deal with bad things that are happening in your life.
- Handling bad things is a demanding and challenging experience. But it is not an impossible thing. First of all, seek support. Talk to your close friend.
- Allow yourself to feel emotions. The bad thing of all is developing a victim mindset instead think about things that can improve your current situation.
- Take good care of yourself. Eat well, sleep well, and exercise regularly. Paying attention to things you can control, works well.
2.5. Making the Same Mistake Over and Over
One of the essential lessons in your life is learning from mistakes and stop repeating that over and over. Everyone makes mistakes in life, even though we all make our best efforts to stay away from making mistakes. But living an error-free life is out of the question “To err is human”.
Life sucks when everything you do goes downhill. When you find yourselves in a situation like this, sit down and contemplate calmly and make sure you haven’t been repeating mistakes.
Individuals can be fully oblivious to making errors in life. For others, it will be hard to accept that they have done it. It is non-viable to live a flawless life.
So be realistic, repeating mistakes does not make it right but rather gives a hard time. So to avoid asking the question why does life suck? stop repeating mistakes. Learn from it and move forward.
2.6. The Face of Uncertainty
Like mistakes, uncertainty is part of life. The most agonizing part of life is its uncertainty.
One must possess extreme prowess to endure that. Uncertainty feels like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet you have to cross a never-ending chasm to be free.
In the face of uncertainty, one has to be highly patient and accept some things in life are beyond one’s control. You can not control all the actions in the world.
Modern life is difficult to live, responding to an uncertain situation with fear makes life extremely difficult. So stop getting worried and stay positive.
Tough times don’t last forever. Develop a positive outlook. Make contingency plans to cope with uncertain situations.
2.7. Living A Life of Others’
Life sucks when you work hard to live the life of others. The modern world has different values and belief systems. Succumbing to that can give immense pressure.
- Getting a job, being financially independent, and having a family are the most basic items on the “to-do list” of life. But that doesn’t mean you must go after the universal concept of living the perfect life.
- People are unique, they have a different outlook towards life. Sometimes you might find yourselves going through tough times, you may become jobless or your heart may get broken there are many but these are all part of life.
- Your perspective can differ from the majority. Once you yield to the wishes of the world around you, You stop focusing on your life and start living the life of others.
This can lead to a stressful life. Be aware of yourselves. Accomplish things in your unique ways. Take enough time.
One can not live a life by pleasing everyone. If you are contented and self-satisfied in life you don’t need to prove it to others.
2.8. Negativity Bias
Human beings are biologically programmed to concentrate on negative events. You have to keep on fighting these negative thoughts.
Negative thoughts lead to more negativities therefore feed yourself with positive reviews which means, stop blaming yourself when something goes wrong.
Along with positive things you need to set realistic goals too. It will reduce stress. Moreover, developing a positive perspective can help get a clear picture of the complicated situation.
2.9. Too Much Social Media
I agree, it is not easy to escape the world of social media nowadays. Besides social media is a great place to be connected with the outside world including your friends and loved ones.
However, wasting a lot of time on social media can harm you mentally and physically. This kind of habit can become addictive. Becoming an addict sucks. There is a good chance to lose your focus.
There are pros and cons to it. Once you become an addict social media can rob you of your precious time.
Once you start comparing your life with the perfect life of people you are seeing on screen can make a negative impact on your mental state.
For example, you will think of yourself as inferior to the people you find on social media without realizing everything you see on screen can not be true.
Most importantly, one of the major causes of suicide around the world is social media. You need to use these apps cautiously.
It can make or break a life. You have a whole life ahead instead of wasting time on social media focus on your life. Spend time for your personal development.
2.10. Substance Abuse
Excessive use of illegal drugs and alcohol turns life into a living hell. Alcohol use disorder and drug use disorder have the capability of restraining you from having healthy social relationships.
- It is a threat to the quality of life. Many people’s lives got destroyed under the shackles of substance abuse.
- It has the potential to destroy the mental and physical health of anyone close to you. It can be your family members, your partners, and your friends.
- To overcome this psychological issue, one has to stop seeing drugs as a solution to their problems.
- Talk to a friend who can hear your problems and guide you. If needed consult mental health professionals.
Life makes no sense when you are an addict. But it is possible to survive such things and make sense of your life again.
2.11. Porn Addiction
Consuming porn unrestrained way is harmful to life. Porn addiction causes harmful impacts on the lives of people around you.
Obsession with pornography will result in inactivity, problematic relationships, risk of losing the job, lack of personal care, low self-esteem, etc. It is needless to say altogether your life will start to suck once you become a porn addict.
A consultation with mental health practitioners might be so much helpful
3. Create A Life Worth Living
“Life is worth living”, You all must have heard this quote perhaps many of you would have questioned this very statement at the lowest point in your life
I know that’s the time when you felt helpless. You went hard on yourself. Life becomes tough sometimes but you are the toughest.
One has to remain positive in a situation like this more goodness will follow you. Taking responsibility for actions will help and forgive yourself. At times it is all right to be not okay in life.
- Remember things going wrong, unemployment, running out of money, or bad luck no matter what tough times will not stand long but only tough-minded people will.
- Tackle issues in your way. Focus on achieving dreams and aspirations.
- Ask for help if you feel like you require it. Asking for help is not a sign of defeat it is refusing to succumb to the pressure of defeat. Offer help to others in need.
- Chase happiness in life. Set realistic goals.
- Travel, meet new people make new memories and cherish each moment. Being alive is the most wonderful thing.
There will be many challenges in life, the act of conquering those challenges is what we call living. Accept new challenges and embrace changes. Thrive and love yourself. Focus on the brighter side.
3.1. Ways to Engage Yourself to Survive Boredom
Life sucks when you are bored. But why are you bored? sometimes sitting idle can be a reason. That does not mean one has to be productive all the time.
If you have a lot of free time in your hand you can make use of it for your advantage.
- If you are unemployed for a while instead of wasting time, you can join an online course or internship program to improve your skillset thereby your chances of being employed again will increase by that.
- You can start new hobbies like bodybuilding, gardening, crafting, painting, learning to play a new instrument, and fishing. These are all soothing hobbies one can engage instead of spending a whole day scrolling through social media.
- Reading is also a great activity to spend time effectively, acquiring knowledge is one of the best things anyone can do.
- Enjoy a good time with friends, and chill out with them.
- Create a bucket list.
- Keep a journal, and write down your feelings and thoughts in it.
- If you were idle for a very long time, start by doing some smaller activities then casually progress and take bigger steps.
Answer to the question Why does life suck? lies in the intricate functioning of the human mind. How we react to a complex situation can make or break our life. Worse things happen in everyone’s life. All individuals deal with different kinds of problems every day.
How an individual tackles the problems in life makes all the difference. Your reaction to a strict time is essential, imagine someone reacting to this by worrying about the problem all day! does that solve the issue? Of course not.
If your idea of a solution is worrying or doing nothing then definitely your life is going to suck. So please focus on the issue and work on solving it.
Besides if you are facing any of above mentioned problems. Always do the right thing. Life is beautiful and worth living.
Rajisha is an experienced Educator who is passionate about arts. Writing makes him happy. Currently he is working as an Academic Mentor at Learnwise. He did his post graduation in English Literature with an additional bachelor’s degree in education.