Derma roller is a scary-looking tool but it’s not very scary. This product is dermatologist-tested. Designed to enhance beauty. This product is designed to treat the signs of aging, and acne scars and make your skin healthier. But, is it safe to use a derma roller on the face? Let’s first understand what is derma roller. This is a professional treatment which is can be done by dermatologists or by yourself in the comfort of your home. Dermaroller is affordable and easy to use but using dermaroller on face is not a very relevant experience for sure. Everything has pros and cons. We will compare it later. Let’s start with the basics.
What is a Dermaroller?
Dermaroller is a device made for the face. It has a small needle with a handle. This product was introduced in 2009, after so many experiments done by dermatologists. Before, this needle treatment was only available to dermatologists, but now you can do this treatment in your comfort zone.
This roller has been introduced as a derma roller because this treatment is done by dermatologists before and now it is a converter in a form of a roller.It is also called Microneedling and collagen induction therapy.
How Does the Dermaroller Work?
The roller with small needles rolled on the skin and through the small needles, a pathway is made on the skin which creates a low level of damage to the skin and helps in reducing the skin issues.
This process helps in creating more collagen. When serums are applied after this treatment it goes to a deeper level in your skin.
Why Dermaroller is Used?
This cosmetic product is used for various purposes. Mentioned below are the different reasons to use Darmaroller:
Helps in Improving the Acne-Scares:
The roller head of this device on the skin improves dark spots or acne scarring by stimulating collagen. This gives a smooth texture to the skin and makes the skin more glowing.
Skin Absorbs Product Quickly and Easily:
After the process, the products you apply to the skin will go to the deeper layers of the skin because small needles help in removing the blockages of the skin.
Reduces the Hyperpigmentation:
Dermaroller is used for reducing the hyperpigmentation of the face. The treatment done by derma roller helps in rejuvinating the new growth of the cells which results in reducing hyperpigmentation.
Promotes Hair Growth:
Dermaroller can help in improving hair growth. You must be thinking how? Let me explain. Yes, this is true, this roller’s small needles helps in stimulating the blood flow which gives a boost to the scalp.
Reduces the Fine Lines and Wrinkles:
With this professional treatment at your home now you will look younger. The microneedling process stimulates collagen production which reduces the visibility of fine lines and wrinkles.
Reduces Stretch Marks:
So this derma roller is also useful if you want to use this product for removing stretch marks. It works because micro needling its main function is to penetrate deeper. Skin needling helps in balancing abnormal collagen production. This process works like acupressure you have to just roll the derma roll on your stretch marks with low pressure.
Perfect Steps to Use the Dermarroller on Face
It’s very easy to use a derma roller. You just have to follow these steps to get effective results:
So, mentioned below is the procedure before you start the process :
- Clean your face and derma roller.
- Use gloves if possible for hygiene purposes.
- It’s best to use a derma roller at night for saving yourself from sun exposure.
- So, if you are going to use the derma roller at night then you need to cleanse your face deeply to remove the dirt and oil which is sitting on your skin from starting of the day to till now.
- For cleaning the derma roller, soak it in rubbing alcohol for some time and then keep it on a paper towel for drying the roller.
- When you are starting first gently apply your favorite serum.
- There are three correct ways to use a derma roller: diagonal, vertical, and horizontal.
- Now, gently start using a derma roller without applying too much pressure because the face has very sensitive skin. So, by keeping this point in mind start rolling the roller in the up and down motion on the cheek and chin.
- Then, change the movement from up and down to horizontal and diagonal motion. You have to do this only for two minutes.
- Don’t use a derma roller in the eye area and be very careful when you are using this roller on sensitive parts like lips, and nose because it has tiny needles which can cause some damage to your skin.
Important Things to Do After Using Dermaroller on Face
- Apply the serum which you have used at the time of starting the process but don’t apply the serums which contains vitamin C or don’t use retinol because after the process skin becomes more sensitive. So it’s better to avoid retinol and serums with vitamin C.
- Don’t forget to apply moisturizer and sunscreen to protect your skin’s ability from damage.
- Use warm water and ice packs after the procedure.
- If your skin is not very sensitive then you can do this treatment twice a week.
- Please avoid hot showers, workout, and don’t apply makeup for at least 24 hours. If you think that your skin is alright then just start by applying less makeup and you can do workout but after 24 hours.
Important Tips if You are Using Dermaroller on Face:
- Don’t forget to clean the derma roller after use.
- Don’t do derma rolling on surgical scars.
- Never share your derma roller with any one because it can cause some type of allergy.
- Specialist Dr. Kim Peirano advises spraying the isopropyl alcohol spray to disinfect it from germs.
- Replace this beauty tool every three months, for keeping yourself safe from irritation or any other kind of skin problem.
- Include vitamins A and C in your diet before starting this treatment. For boosting collagen production.
- Add denture cleansing tablet to hot water and soak the roller in this solution. You can do this weekly once suggested by the specialist.
Does It Hurt To Use This Beauty Tool?
Yes, it is a painful process because if so many needles are going inside your face at the same time it will pain not much but a little bit. As we all know beauty comes with pain. So, if you want to get spotless skin, clean skin without fine lines, skin firmness, and glowing skin in short “perfect skin” then you can go for it.
Usage of this beauty tool on your skin will surely give pain but if you are craving flawless skin and if you want to compliment your skin tone with perfection then you can do it. So, if you have decided to do it, then let’s see how much time dermaroll will take to give you results.
Microneedling Shows Results in How Much Time?
This procedure will you show results at least after three sessions. For most people, microneedling took at least six months for giving the results. When you start the process at that time collagen will start to build and collagen takes at least six weeks to become mature.
For some people, it also takes time of twelve weeks. It depends on how much collagen your skin needs the more collagen it needs it will take the longer time.
When Darmaroller Should Be Used?
- You can use a derma roller if you want to reduce the mentioned skin issues below:
- If you have dull skin.
- Facing issues of dark spots on your face then you can use this product.
- If you want to reduce fine lines and aging skin.
- Boosting of collagen.
- Improve the quality of your skin.
Always Look for these Things When Buying Dermaroller:
- Buy derma rollers from known places.
- Always buy a well-structured product because if the product is not made nicely then needles can impact your skin badly.
- There are different sizes of needle lengths available. So, if you are going to use a dermaroller at home then always buy longer needles with a length whic is less than 0.15 millimeters.
- Some products which can give you the similar results like derma rollers: dermastamps, dermafraces and at home derma rollers: pens.
- In the market, various sizes of needle lengths are available which is only for dermatologists. These different sizes of needles are not for normal people and also very dangerous to use a derma roller with long needles.
Best Dermarollers Reccomendation:
Man Matters Advance Derma Roller:
If you are male then do consider this derma roller because it is designed for males, and can be used on the scalp and beard. This roller comes with a disinfectant solution.
Epyz Derma Roller:
This roller is a multipurpose roller that can be used on the face and scalp. It is also a budget-friendly derma roller that comes in the beautiful color gold.
JM SELLER Derma Roller:
This is the most budget-friendly derma roller and the needle length is 0.5 mm. Comes in good quality at a good price. Also, people have given good reviews to this product.
E ELMASK Derma Roller Microneedle Roller:
This roller has good-quality titanium needles and it can be used for both face and body. Available in 0.5mm needle size which gives good and safe treatment to the face at home.
Derma Roller Kit for Face and Body:
This derma roller is costly but worth it because it comes with different attachments. Its roller head can be changed. A disinfectant tank is available with it which will save you from getting any kind of allergy.
Pros and Cons of Dermaroller
- Cristal clear skin: Use of a derma roller will reduce the acne scars and spots which will give you clear skin.
- Good for reducing aging or fine lines and makes you look younger.
- Boosts collagen
- Helps in reducing stretch marks
- Enhances skin quality
- Can be dangerous for sensitive skin types skin
- Needs lots of hygiene
- Not useful for pimple-prone skin
- Side effects: Swelling, redness, bruises, and flaky skin.
- Needs so much precaution when using this tool.
- Painful to use
Yes, it is safe to use dermaroller on your face if you have some kind of experience and knowledge about this product then you can use it. But if you don’t have any knowledge, then first gather the information and then decide if you want to use it or not. Because everything has a positive impact and a negative impact. If you look from one side it is a painful process and needs to be taken so much precaution for this whole procedure, you can face some side effects but if you look from another side this process also has so many advantages live clear skin, reduces fine line and makes you look younger. Also, your skin starts to look glowing and beautiful.
Studies have shown that dermatologists have approved this product to be safely used by normal people. Some people have got good results from this beauty tool and some people have faced side effects on their faces. So, if you want to do this procedure then do follow all the instructions because one mistake can affect you badly. It will be better to get professional treatments for this type of treatment from dermatologists.
If you want a better and safer option then use microneedling patches which are more effective. It can be used at home. Microneedling will give you much better results. If you are facing some skin issues then you can try this. If your skin is fine but then also you want to try it, then don’t.
Any risks of using a dermaroller on the face?
Yes, there is a risk but if you follow the instruction exactly nothing will happen. If not sure, do consult with the dermatologist.
How much time it will take to show results?
It will take six weeks to twelve weeks to give results.
How often I can use it?
You can use it once a week if you have sensitive skin and twice one week for non-sensitive skin.
What can I apply on the skin after using dermaroller?
Apply serum but avoid retinol and vitamin C serum because your skin will be more sensitive after using dermaroller. If you want you can also use ice to calm down your skin.
Nikita is a professional content writer and she loves to write about anything she sees around her. Also a little insight about her, She loves fashion and she is a tarot card reader. Her articles may contain some glimpses of these interests. However, her content is not just limited to that, she can provide the best and most relevant content for her readers to enjoy.