As a college student, you will have a lot of free time to hang out with friends and explore new places. However, being broke ruins all the plans. Money from part-time jobs can support you for a few weeks, but what do you do when you’ve spent it all? Cancel all plans and sit at home? How about you learn how to spend less and save more? This way, you can use the money on things that truly matter to you.
Here’s a list of the top 10 things you can do to save money.
- Say no to impulsive shopping. Just because you like something and have the money does not mean you have to buy it. Learn to say no to yourself. Be patient and wait for a season-end sale. You can also go online and check if there is any offer available on that item. Impulsive shopping can make you happy for a little while, but the regret that comes afterward is so much worse.
- Do not spend too much on books. I understand that you love to read. E-books are free, but you hate them. Borrow books from a library! If you want to keep the books you read, you can buy second-hand books. They are cheap, and the little notes on them by their previous owners make them much more special. It’s like reading two stories in one book.
- Download movies online. Why spend so much on movies when you can download them for free? Even when you go out to the movies, do not spend on popcorn and coke. You can survive the film without munching on something.
- Cancel that gym membership. If you want to stay fit, you can work out at home and eat healthy. Do not avoid the stairs; they are good for you.
- Branded clothes are not a necessity. Also, buy clothes which you can wear with anything you want. Buying a jacket that does not go with most of your clothes is not something you can afford to do at the moment.
- Use public transport to save the money that you spend on petrol. Get on a bus or a metro. It saves your money, and you get to observe people from all works of life. It sounds like fun, doesn’t it? Using public transport also decreases the congestion on the roads.
- Bargain! You need to learn how to bargain to survive in this country. Do not be ashamed of it. The shopkeepers expect the customers to bargain. It’s almost like a game you need to play and win to save your money.
- Use coupons to get discounts. Search for coupons online and use them to save your money.
- Get a pre-paid connection for your cell phone. Post-paid links are fun till you get your bill at the end of the month. It’s almost like prepaid connections have been designed for students like us.
- Keep aside a part of your salary every month so that you can use it when you need it.
Save as much as you can so that you can put your money into something that you truly enjoy and value.