India is a land of diversities, right, but it also is a land of contradictions and a land of the most heinous crimes against its women. 16th December 2012 was an eye-opener; our country witnessed an incident that shook us all from our slumber. We were aware of the sexual assaults that women faced every day, we knew of the rapes and the eve-teasing, but this heinous incident reminded us just how monstrous these men could be. We realized that the women are no longer safe in this Incredible India.
Measures were taken- fast track courts, sensitive police, laws that strengthen the victim, but have the rapes, the assaults and the molestations stopped? No. Unless women take up the ammunitions to fight for themselves, no measures can protect them. And I mean the right kinds of ammunition.
Created by Pune-based Dr. Pavan Kohli, Samiidha Bhavani is the perfect ammunition for women. It’s a foldable samurai sword made for women that will snugly fit in the regular handbag of any working lady. The device has been tested by martial arts experts from Germany, the U.K., Singapore and Japan.
Samiidha Bhavani, the device:
The device was inaugurated by Nirbhaya’s parents last year.
The device weighs 1.5kgs and is about 2 feet and 3 inches long; it is foldable and can reduce up to 9inches which can fit in a regular handbag. The gadget has five components which makes it so much more than a regular steel sword.
1. Pepper Spray: A pepper filled spray cannister which blinds the attacker or attackers for some time and gives you enough time to run, shout for help, or counter-attack them.
2. Panic Alarm Switch: This component generates an alarm in the neighborhood and sends an alert to 5 different recipients with the help of a GPS tracker.
3. Stun Gun: This element is non-lethal but can render your attacker incapable of harming you. This Stun Gun can generate enough electricity to stupefy your attacker.
4. The Pen Knife: This element is by far the most dangerous weapon of all. You can do quite a damage with this. This sharp blade is your best mate and last resort if all the others fail.
5. Siren and Strobe Light: The device also generates a rape siren and flashes a bright light that can momentarily blind your attacker.
This device itself is a steel sword that can injure your attacker easily. It also contains a sewing kit, sindoor or vermillion and a mirror. Most critics believe that the beauty essentials are unnecessary burdens on the device while others disapprove of it altogether, and some question its competency. However, according to Dr. Pavan Kohli, it is a multi-purpose tool made for every woman.
But the question remains the same, can this device or any device for that matter protect the women from their predators? How successful will this venture be? It can only be judged in time. Will this device be the new “Trishool”, a better ammunition for the women, or just another waste of money? Time will tell