When you click through from our site to a retailer and buy a product, we may earn affiliate commissions. This helps support our work, but does not affect what we cover or how, and it does not affect the price you pay.
Are you looking for Grey’s Anatomy Quotes on Life? Then, you have come to the right place for Grey’s Anatomy Quotes on Life.
It has been approximately 15 years since Shonda Rhimes aired, Grey’s Anatomy an American TV series that recently wrapped up its 16th Season in April 2020. It has been considered the longest-running TV show of all time.
Over 16 Seasons and around 300 the show has not lost appeal as it continues to be loved all the same by its fans waiting eagerly for the next season to come out. (Some might have a different take on it as it is not usual for a series to go on for 16 seasons and 17th to be out soon. (If we make it through 2020 alive and beat the COVID-19. Finger crossed).
I have to say it is not like the usual shows I like such as F.R.I.E.N.D.S, HIMYM, Two and Half-Men, and others. The whole series has a life of its own as it portrays the journey of Meredith Grey and the lives around her which directly or indirectly are connected to her making her the central character of the show.
The sad yet beautiful journey, Meredith Grey undertakes with the family she chooses to create of her friends at Seattle Grace Hospital, later named as Grey-Sloan Memorial. The brilliant characterization and how they evolved during these sixteen seasons have been perfectly captured by Rhimes on the screen.
The show is all about life and death and how to overcome both them through resilience and acceptance. The reason the show is able to run for this long is because of the relatable reality that the show depicts life. The show in its portrayal of Life, living, being, surviving, and truly become something more than a show as if it comes alive and speaks to us. It becomes easy to replace the other character with yourself and see yourself in their place.
The script and the dialogues of the show and their allotment to a particular character has been very meticulously planned making the show what it is today. It deals with themes of love, care, living, relationships, family, friendships, break-ups, deaths, depression, pain, suffering, resilience which basically translates into life. Because life made into life through including all these above-mentioned aspects.
As I mentioned before the dialogues in the show (Of not only Meredith but of all the other major characters) are layered with meanings and oozes with wisdom & knowledge about life, death, love, and survival despite everything.
The show is full of wisdom-ous and meaningful sayings and quotes about life that it might be almost impossible to quote them all because then basically I’ll have type down all the dialogues from the series here. (Just Kidding! :p or am I not?)
The filming of the show stopped abruptly due to the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus forcing to end the 16th season with finale episode 21 only. And since then the fans have been craving for Grey’s Anatomy probable final season.
I hope this post will take you into the whirling world of Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life and help you relive, revive, and reminiscence Grey’s Anatomy through all the seasons till now. (The quote might even tempt you to binge-watch the show all over again, so beware of its seducing qualities)
Let’s dive right into Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life. I hope you enjoy this twisted ride of Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life.
Happy reading y’all!!!
1. “I’m up there waiting for you to come down the aisle and…I know you don’t want to come. If I loved you, I wouldn’t be up there waiting for you. I would be letting you go.” —Preston Burke
Burke said it to Christina in Grey’s Anatomy Season 3 Episode 25: “Didn’t We Almost Have it All” when he realizes just a few moments before the marriage that he’s forcing Christina to be someone she’s really not. I really liked the strange relationship both of them shared.
2. “Grief may be a thing we all have in common but it looks different on everyone. It isn’t just death we have to grieve. It’s life, it’s loss, it’s change. And when we wonder why it has to suck so much sometimes, it has to hurt so bad.” —Meredith Grey
The quote appears in Season 6 Episode 2: Goodbye where John Doe turns out to be George and the episode represents everyone trying to cope up with his death by different means. Truly one of the saddest episodes of Grey’s Anatomy.
3. “A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today, you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five of you will crack under the pressure and two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play? That’s up to you.” —Richard Webber
This quote appears in Season 1, Episode 1 A Hard Day’s Night and recurs various times when new interns join their internship at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital dictated by Richard Webber for the first time when Meredith, Christina, Izzie, George, and Alex join the program.
4. “Your choice, it’s simple: her or me? And I’m sure she’s really great. But I love you. In a really, really big pretend to like your taste in music, let you eat the last piece of cheesecake, hold a radio over my head outside your window, unfortunate way that makes me hate you, love you. So, pick me, choose me, love me.” —Meredith Grey
This particular Grey’s Anatomy quote on life appears in season 2, episode 5 Bring the Pain when Meredith asks Derek to make the choice between her and Alison Montgomery, she actually confesses her feelings for him asking him to pick her. A pretty emotional and devasting episode as the title suggestive to fight for your love no matter what.
5. “The body is a slave to its impulses. But the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we made. We can try to let go of what was” -Meredith Grey
This quote is said by Meredith Grey in Season 3, Episode 2 I am a Tree which narrates stories of various patients in the hospital and the characters dealing with them. This episode is important as Alison learns Derek cheated on her with Meredith and their marriage is officially over.
6. “Sometimes it’s good to be scared. It means you still have something to lose.”-Richard Webber
This is another of very insightful of Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life appears in Season 4, Episode 10 Crash into Me, Part-1 by Webber a very inspiring and experienced quote as it turns some negative such as fear by giving it a positive trait.
7. “You were like coming up for fresh air. It’s like I was drowning and you saved me. That’s all I know.” —Derek Shepherd
This romantic line comes from Derek for Meredith when he tries to describe his feelings for her in Season 2, Episode 1 Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. And you can pretty clearly how beautifully he makes use of the poetic language to confess his feelings to the love of his life.
8. “It doesn’t matter how tough we are, trauma always leaves a scar. It follows us home, it changes our lives, trauma messes everybody up, but maybe that’s the point. All the pain and the fear and the crap. Maybe going through all of that is what keeps us moving forward. It’s what pushes us. Maybe we have to get a little messed up, before we can step up.” —Alex Karev
Probably one of the best Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life by none other than Alex Karev in Season 5, Episode 19 talks about his own experiences of how to get past scars and pains of life.
9. “Oh, screw beautiful! I’m brilliant! If you want to appease me, compliment my brain.” -Christina Yang
This is an outstanding quote for all the girls as well as boys out there to value the mind and the inner self of a person rather than their outer beauty. The quote appears in Season 7, Episode 17 This Is How We Do It when Arizona asks Callie to marry her and then are met with an accident.
10. “For a kiss to be really good, you want it to mean something. You want it to be with someone you can’t get out of your head, so that when your lips finally touch you feel it everywhere. A kiss so hot and so deep you never want to come up for air. You can’t cheat your first kiss. Trust me, you don’t want to. Cause when you find that right person for a first kiss, it’s everything.” -Alex Karev
The above lines appear in Season 2, Episode 7 Something to Talk About by Alex when a teenage girl patient has a crush over him and his kindness asks him to kiss her that is when he gives her this beautiful advice which some might hold together for life.
11. “Pain comes in all forms. The small twinge, a bit of soreness, the random pain, the normal pains we live with every day. Then there is the kind of pain you can’t ignore. A level of pain so great that it blocks out everything else. Makes the rest of the world fade away. Until all we can think about is how much we hurt. How we manage our pain is up to us. We anesthetize, ride it out, embrace it, ignore it, and for some of us, the best way to manage pain is to just push through it.” —Meredith Grey
The above Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life occur in Season 2, Episode 5 Bring the Pain giving the greatest life advice that we have to push through it. And pain is inevitable everyone in this humane life has their own pains and sorrows to push through and survive.
12. “The human life is made up of choices. Yes or no. In or out. Up or down. Live or die. Hero or coward. Fight or give in. I’ll say it again to make sure you hear me. The human life is made up of choices. Live or die. That’s an important choice. And it’s not always in our hands.” —Derek Shepherd
The above quote appears in Season 6, Episode 24 Death And All His Friends. A very dark and traumatic episode where gunman enters the hospital to kill Derek because he removed her from the ventilator. On the way to seek his vengeance, he kills other people, wounds Karev, and shoots Derek near his heart. The quote is directly linked to the choice Derek had to make and the choice the gun man-made in grief and trauma.
13. “Yes, horrible things do happen. Happiness, in the face of all of that, that’s not the goal. Feeling horrible, and knowing that you’re not going to die from those feelings, that’s the point.” —Katherine Wyatt
The best advice of all which implies in all aspects of our lives is given by Dr. Wyatt to Meredith’s counselor which helps her cope up with her fears and anxiety of the general cruelty that exists in the world. It is indeed a piece of great advice and perspective on life. The lines appear in Season 5, Episode 3 Here Comes the Flood.
14. “Don’t let what he wants to eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun. You are.” —Cristina Yang
A very feministic idea wherein Yang suggests Mer before leaving for Switzerland that she should be who she first wants to be and choose what she desires instead of following Derek and his dreams just because they’re in love. Basically, not allow him to foreshadow her in the name of love.
I know this is just a show that means it is fictional. But one needs to ponder over the question that the fiction is inspired in some ways by the realities of real-life itself. Of course, imagination plays a vital role but it comprises traits that can teach you lessons of your life. If you haven’t watched the series already please do watch it.
It will help you see life and its daily struggles from the perspective of acceptance of things and put up a fight in the face of everything. Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life can in actuality help you in so many ways.
If you have your own personal list of Grey Anatomy Quotes on life then please do share in the comments below. Also, if you would have added or removed any of the quotes from the above list of Grey’s Anatomy quotes on life.