Life is not always a bed of roses. But it becomes easy to sail through with the best and true friends. Someone will ask, but what could a best friend do?
Words of encouragement for a friend in distress help them to move on. This article will highlight words of encouragement to a friend to be used in different challenging situations.
This article also deals with the psychological importance of encouraging words for a friend.
1. Why Use Words of Encouragement for a Friend?
Often we ignore issues faced by others. Mere shrugging it off and saying not my problem is not righteous.
Being friends, we must get hold of the problems. We must at least say some encouraging quotes if that’s not possible.
Today, when the world is at the fingertip, it has become easier to like or dislike an act, a motive, or a purpose. Without giving it a second thought, we are quick to make judgments and are least bothered about its effects on others.
Bad temperament and mood swings have taught us it is far easier to make friends than to retain and maintain friendships for a long time. A few uplifting words of encouragement to a friend may help you have company for quite a long time.
Our mixed reviews or feedback sometimes leave us in a dilemma about ourselves. It has become easier to feel inadequate these days.
All the above reasons, I think, are adequate to delve deep into encouraging words for a friend.
2. When are Words of Encouragement for a Friend Needed?
Here are some situations when you must use comforting words for a needy friend.
Your friend had just a bad day and is overthinking the situation. You, as a friend, must act as an escape window for the hardships faced by them.
2.2. Poor Mental or Physical Health
Sometimes the prolonged trauma may disturb your friend so much that it may affect them mentally and physically. You must act as a savior and help your friend come out of the bad life they are in.
Nothing in this world is permanent. But no matter what, you must not leave your friend alone in distress. Even if you are not physically present, texting a few encouraging words can work wonders.
2.4. Poor Performance
It is hard to be perfect at all times. Your friend might have lost their confidence due to poor performance. But words of encouragement to a friend like, “making mistakes and performing poorly are truly pillars of success,” motivate them.
2.5. Unhealthy Relationships
Family feuds and peer pressure make a person pessimist and spoil the relationship with our once close associates. Your friend might need uplifting words of encouragement at this juncture.
If your friend blames themselves for an act whose results are not favorable, they may turn into a pessimist. They may lose trust in themselves.
Those mentioned above are the prime situations when words of encouragement for a friend are required. Apart from this, lack of confidence, mood swings, peer, parental, or work pressure, and stress are other short-time situations your friend may go through.
So if your friend is going through any of the above circumstances, choosing the right words of encouragement for them should be your only choice.
3. How to Encourage Your Friend
Seeing a best friend in the bad shape of life hurts us. We leave no stone unturned to boost their morale. But making someone do what you want them to do isn’t easy.
Apart from encouraging words, there are other ways to encourage your friend.
3.1. Involve Yourself with Them
Involving yourself with them will make them believe they are on the righteous path in life.
3.2. Have Trust in Your Friend
Ensure that you trust them wholeheartedly. You may have noticed your best friend going through many ups and downs. But if this problem is not as big as earlier, your encouraging words can do the work.
3.3. Reward Your Friend
Take your friend out or surprise them with a gift for even a minimal achievement. This will build their trust back in life and themselves. Moreover, they will start loving every aspect of life. For example, treat your friend with a cup of mocha and encouraging words or present them with a lovely handwritten note.
3.4. Challenge your Friend
A few challenging words may turn into encouraging words for a friend and may change their life forever. For example, use phrases such as, “I bet you can do it” or “If you accomplish this task, I will do whatsoever your command is.”
Smiling, Sharing, and Boosting morale are other techniques to encourage your friend. If you use the above methods and words of encouragement for a friend, a response to your effort will be quicker.
4. Psychological Importance of Words of Encouragement for a Friend
It is evident from many pieces of research that success is not just dependent upon natural skill. A proper frame of mind is equally important. The bad phase in someone’s life can take an alternative course with your few encouraging quotes.
Albert Bandura’s report on verbal persuasion reflects how verbal encouragement positively affects students.
In another report by Manuel Martin-Loeches, it was found that encouraging expressions seem to exert efficient emotional reactions and measurable effects on a person’s cognitive ability.
Founder and the famous entrepreneur of Mary Kay Inc., Mary Kay Ash, said,” People want recognition and praise more than sex and money.”
Though not much research has been undertaken on this topic, many renowned personalities feel that words of encouragement for a friend are more worthy than consoling words later.
5. Brief Magical Words of Encouragement for a Friend
You must have heard a common phrase, “Less is more.” This also applies to the set of words for a friend. Sometimes your associate might be in such a deep trauma that a few words from time to time can help them come out of the grave situation.
Below is the list of some of the few, though magical words:
- You can do it.
- Be courageous.
- Live bold life.
- Go! grab it.
- You know, I am a text or phone call away.
- Never lose faith.
- Dare it. Do it!
- I believe in whatever you do.
- Let’s celebrate your failure too.
- Give your 100%.
- In difficulty lies opportunity. These above uplifting words are quick to deliver and easy to understand.
6. Grouped Words of Encouragement for a Friend
Choosing the right words of encouragement for a friend is an art. Deep conversation while taking a stroll or a quiet walk, or your friend had just a bad day; a few encouraging words may turn a bad day into a turning point.
Choose the right words of encouragement when your friend complains about bad life.
- Whatever it is, I know you are an amazing person.
- I will be there for you always, no matter what comes next.
- Don’t feel lonely as you go through this. Be assured you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
- In the journey of life, consider pain as fuel for success.
- In good or bad times, count me in for the support.
- You think it’s an end; oh, but my darling, it may be a beginning.
- Pessimism dissolves when optimism is the only choice to survive.
- Struggles develop in you the qualities which were enveloped.
- No one can work like you; you are such an amazing person.
- The shattering of one dream does not signify the end of life.
- How can you completely forget your set of achievements?
- Relax, take a deep breath and start afresh.
- Don’t waste time brooding; start building.
- Remember, your present situation is not your final destination.
- The greatest weakness lies just adjacent to the greatest strength.
- Hope whispers, “Try again,” when the world suggests giving up.
- When hope is demise, but you try to rise, remember God bless you in disguise.
- You have to cross the darkest to become the most intelligent human being.
- You are the smartest, sharpest, and wisest person I know.
- What you call an end, the master calls a beginning.
- I know it’s hard to sail through, but don’t lose faith in yourself.
6.1. Words of Encouragement for a Friend Wishing Success in Life
- Boldly refuse failure and sail through the skies.
- Your continuous efforts will finally pay you success one day.
- Stop beating yourself as you are on your way to progress, but in sight of your final destination.
- I hope you believe in yourself as much as I do.
- Be gentle to yourself; things take time to recover.
- Sometimes it’s ok not to be ok.
- No matter what, you never give up, and it makes you the winner.
- You will surely get through this rubbish. I am confident.
- Don’t cry. This wasn’t meant for you. This phase is merely a stepping stone.
- Your presence leaves more impact than you think.
- Stop competing with others; compete with yourself to achieve success easily.
- Don’t forget night is always darkest just before dawn.
- Whenever you need a shoulder, trust mine is there.
- Don’t be tired of repeatedly striving, for when success knocks, you will find its worth.
- You have been the smartest human among us till now; no matter what, you shall try to maintain this.
- You have always been the most intelligent human being, and I believe you will always be.
- You will forget the bad phase when surrounded by so much happiness.
- I am your best friend because I believe and have faith in you.
- Mark it! You are such a blessing around me.
- Even many defeats must not stop you.
- There is a difference between what you are going through and what you are.
- Everything else can be kept aside….right now, focus on getting better at this.
- Your hard work will be rewarded sooner.
- All through, you had been strong and patient. What happened now? Keep steady faith.
- God gave you the problems because He knows you are strong enough to overcome them.
- Even the smartest human being must have their share of failures.
- I am always there for you with a patient ear, ready to hear your feelings.
- What’s gone is gone! Don’t waste time brooding the past. Instead, work hard in the present for a bright future.
- Draw strength from your past achievements rather than thinking about your endeavors.
- Judge your day by how much you invested rather than how much you harvested.
- I know letting things go is your greatest quality.
- You are more intelligent than you possibly imagine.
- You have always been a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.
- Have faith in yourself, and you will achieve success easily.
- Success knocks only at those who dare to face the rocks.
7. Situational Words of Encouragement
It may be possible that your friend is undergoing a specific situation. Here is a quick guide for using healing words according to your friend’s situation.
7.1. If someone ditches your friend, you can motivate them by saying.
- It would be best if you do not lose faith in the people surrounding you. For humanity is like an ocean. Even if a few drops in the ocean are dirty, the sea cannot be labeled tainted.
- The dark place might let you believe you are buried but think positively. You might be planted.
- Lost opportunity is not the last key to success in life.
- Many people in life come and go, like the co-passengers. But the true ones will stay with you forever.
- These inspirational words will help change your friend’s perspective on the problem.
- Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key of the bunch that opens the lock.
7.2. If your friend is suffering from jealousy
- Don’t try to copy someone else’s script. They might have their share of ups and downs, which you might find difficult to face.
- It would be harder for you had you been in their shoes.
- Take a deep breath and promise yourself to stay positive.
- One life, one dream, cheat it or chase it!
The above situations are just a reference. You can use any of the above or below-mentioned words of encouragement for a friend as per their dilemma.
8. Words of Encouragement and Famous Personalities
Below are the words of encouragement for a friend by some world-renowned personalities for your reference.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” – Vince Lombardi.
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” – Confucius.
“Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” – Oprah Winfrey.
“In the middle of the difficulty lies opportunity” –Einstein
“Your decision to be, have, and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else.” – Brian Tracy
“Where you are now is not where you will always be. There are brighter days ahead.”- Joel Osteen
“For every failure, there’s an alternative course of action. You have to find it. Take a detour when you come to a roadblock.” – Mary Kay Ash
“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.“- C.S. Lewis
“Defeat is simply a signal to press onward.”– Helen Keller
“Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye.” — Helen Keller
“Refuse failure. No matter how difficult the obstacles, find a way to get around them.” – JJ Goldwag
“Even if happiness forgets you a little bit, never completely forget about it.” – Jacques Prevert
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” – Gandhi
“At any given moment, you have the power to say: This is not how the story is going to end.” – Christine Mason Miller
“It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” — Oprah Winfrey
“It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.“- Anonymous
These inspirational words of encouragement for a friend will boost confidence and strengthen your bond. Make it a point to mention that even famous personalities had a tough time excelling in their respective fields.
9. Blessing Words of Encouragement to a Friend
When given from the heart, blessings reach the person quickly. These are some encouraging words embellished with prayers for your friend:
- May your saddest days promise brighter days ahead.
- God must have some divine plan for you.
- May God ends your bad days, and the triumph begins.
- May Master calls all good for my best friend.
- May your old friends stand with you through thick and thin.
- Today, I will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a better day.
- May God bless you with positivity always.
These words of encouragement for a friend can be used with other inspirational messages to strengthen their impact.
10. Spiritual Words of Encouragement for a Friend
Spiritual encouraging words will help to connect with the self and allows one to find the reason behind everything. Spirituality-based encouraging sayings relieve us from self-blaming or hiding under the carpet like a speck of dust. Convey these spirituality-based words of encouragement for a friend for that soothing effect on the heart and brain.
- God tests only those whom He knows will fare well.
- God’s plan may look like an exam, appear and excel.
- Before giving you problems, God gave you the strength to find solutions.
- Inner strength or self-confidence is the greatest asset in life.
- We all have different question papers to solve in the journey of life presented by God in His own way.
- Life knocks you down when God is about to open the locks.
- God must have some good plans for you.
- God helps those who help themselves.
These divine uplifting words will give inner strength to your friend. Remember, God is our friend, too, sitting in our hearts and guiding us all silently.
11. Points to Consider while using Words of Encouragement for a Friend
Consider the below-mentioned points while using encouraging words to a friend:
- While using words of encouragement, tone of voice should be appropriate. A sarcastic tone is a big no.
- Encouraging words should not persuade your friend to do anything unethical.
- Overusing words of encouragement for a friend should be avoided; they may lose trust in themselves and rely on your support for every stumbling block.
- Make sure your encouraging messages are not discouraging for others in a group of friends.
- Encouragement to a friend should be limited to boost confidence. Remember, there is a very thin line between confidence and overconfidence.
These points will help you to do justice in using words of encouragement for a friend and surely make you wise enough to use them.
One must try to start the day with inspirational sayings. Your habit of doing such will mold your conversation to the physiological and psychological level. The above inspirational messages will help your friend escape the dark place, even if it is in disguise.
It’s hard to imagine life without friends. And equally unimaginable and bland is life without issues or momentary hiccups. A few soothing words for a friend de-stress and motivate perseverance.
I would like to end with an acrostic poem about a Friend,
“Friend, hardship is not an end,
Reach out long, even if there is a bend.
I trust you,
Even after what you are going through.
Nimbus, I can see around,
Donning your presence loud.”
Take good care of the people surrounding you.
Sonal is a keen and silent observer of what comes her way. She loves writing poetry. With a Master’s in English, Education, and Computer Software, she is capable enough to dig deep in an array of categories. She explores so many topics that revolve around the world. Whether she is working on any historical theory, an educational fact, or a life motivation, Sonal with her type of articles wishes to connect with the world and takes criticism as the way up.