Today’s generation is always looking to experiment with new sweet treats, pudding, or desserts that are prepared away from the conventional preparations, that are super healthy and preferably baked (baked savories give lesser calories). It should tick their diet list too. Just here, muffins come in the big picture. You should try blueberry muffins that are healthy and nutritious. Fresh blueberries are a perfect muffin recipe.
This article looks at the details while making delicious healthy blueberry muffins at home.
Blueberry muffins are delectable and extremely enticing treats that can increase appetite with their looks and give the desire to gobble it all at once. Just right for snack time, whenever you have sweet cravings, or as an accompaniment to breakfast, healthy blueberry muffins go well with all kinds of meals.
So let us check out, in detail, everything about making healthy blueberry muffins.
1. Why should we Prepare the Best Healthy Blueberry Muffins at Home?
Preparing healthy blueberry muffins at home is easy and brings out moist, fluffy, gooey blueberry muffins that melt in the mouth and give a wholesome flavor.
- If you opt for healthy recipes for homemade blueberry muffins, they will satisfy your cravings, and you can also feel good eating more than one guilt-free.
- This great recipe mentioned below does not require any special ingredients or equipment. Therefore, you can easily bake fat-free, low-calorie, and low-sugar fresh blueberry muffins with whole wheat flour.
- Healthy blueberry muffins are a beloved desire for all ages. They can be made with oat flour to bake blueberry oatmeal muffins or any gluten-free flour to prepare gluten-free blueberry muffins at home.
- These healthy muffins are made with whole wheat flour. They bring out the same taste as refined flour, wheat pastry flour, or whole wheat pastry flour and taste just like the store-bought ones.
- Once home-baked, healthy blueberry muffins are a grab-and-go recipe with a crisp golden top, moist center, and brims with blueberries in every bite. This delicious savory can be prepared at home as per your preferred ingredients. Additional flavors can be added to the batter to enhance the taste of the muffins.
2. What makes Homemade Blueberry Muffins Healthy?
- Blueberry muffins – healthy and homemade with whole wheat flour and maple syrup. Yes! That’s possible with this great recipe that will earn a five stars rating from your near ones.
- Using whole wheat flour in this great recipe of muffins adds the qualities of flour to the savory, making them fiber-rich while being high in protein content.
- Bakery store muffins, mini muffins, or regular ones are very high in fat and sugar.
- Blueberry muffins prepared at home can be made using honey or maple syrup as a sweetener. Maple syrup and honey enhance the taste of healthy blueberry muffins. When using these ingredients, the muffins’ overall sugar content becomes comparatively low.
- Store-bought pre-mixes for the muffin batter are a big no, as you do not know when the pre-mix has been mixed, whether it is fresh and how long it has been packed for sale. They are added with loads of sugar and fats you would want to avoid. Therefore it is best to make healthy blueberry muffins at home.
- With this great recipe, you can prepare your homemade muffins without using pastry flour or refined sugar.
- You know exactly what ingredients go into the batter of the best blueberry muffins prepared at home; fresh ingredients make fluffy, tasty muffins.
- Healthy blueberry muffins possess a smooth texture and a melting flavor. Also, while baking in the oven, these small treats fill your home with an ambrosial aroma that spreads across your house, making every member crave this delectable savory. So you earn five stars for making such a tasty nutritional treat.
3. Tips for a Healthy Blueberry Muffins Recipe
For that perfect savourous, soft, and tantalizing blueberry muffin, you need to keep a few points in mind, as the whole wheat flour blueberry muffin should be healthy while alive and a sweet-kicking treat.
3.1) Flour selection
- First is the flour selection. The purpose of using whole wheat flour for this classic blueberry muffin is that it creates a lighter texture for muffins, and it is easy to assimilate the whole wheat flour into the batter.
- Brimming with nutrients, whole wheat flour, regular or white whole wheat flour, add a nutty and tasty flavor to the muffins.
- Coconut flour or almond flour is also used in various recipes for blueberry muffins. All-purpose flour, gluten-free flour, or oat flour can be opted for making blueberry muffins at home.
- If using oat flour, you might need to add more milk as it will soak in more. If you are making almond flour blueberry muffins, you may need to adjust the ratio of ingredients.
- While using gluten-free flour, wheat pastry flour, or whole wheat pastry flour, the ratio of ingredients may require some modifications.
3.2) Fresh Blueberries or Frozen Blueberries – which one to choose?
- Both fresh and frozen blueberries can be used in this healthy blueberry muffin batter, and whether to defrost frozen blueberries or not is up to you. After taking them out, you can directly mix the frozen blueberries into the batter.
- Rinse the frozen blueberries under cold water and dry them by patting gently if you fear your blueberry muffin batter will turn blue or purple. You can even thaw the frozen blueberries and drain them before adding them to the blueberry muffin batter.
- If you fear fresh or frozen blueberries might sink in, or stick to the bottom of the muffin tin, toss them in one teaspoon of flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom and keep the blueberries nicely distributed in the healthy muffin recipe.
3.3) Why use Greek Yogurt for making Healthy Blueberry Muffins?
- Greek yogurt is a preferred choice for this healthy blueberry muffin recipe as it contains less fat but more protein. An equal amount of plain regular yogurt can be used instead of Greek yogurt.
- Richer ingredients will give richer savory. Therefore, Greek yogurt helps baked goods rise well and makes them super fluffy and moist due to the sour factor. However, sour cream can also be used.
- Greek yogurt imparts an exceptional flavor, and the acidity part activates the baking soda that makes baked goods light and fluffy.
- Greek yogurt also acts as an ultimate topping after the healthy blueberry muffins are ready.
- In some healthy recipes, yogurt is required, and sour cream does not work. But we will use Greek yogurt in the whole wheat flour recipe of blueberry muffins.
3.4) Purpose of using vegetable oil in the Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Any healthy vegetable oil can be used for this healthy blueberry muffin recipe, but the grain-coating texture of the blueberry muffins cannot be compromised. Therefore, using vegetable oil compared to melted butter is a good choice. For this five stars recipe, we will use olive oil to keep saturated fat far from you.
- Canola oil, coconut oil (melted), extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or melted butter can also be used. Olive oil works better as it is lighter.
- If you run out of oil, you can opt for mashed banana, applesauce, or sour cream. The ratio of other ingredients will, however, change.
3.5) Choice of Sweetener to prepare Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Honey and maple syrup both go very well with healthy recipes for muffins. You can use maple syrup or honey as it adds texture and flavor while keeping the muffins moist and, most important, cuts down on sugar content. Honey and maple syrup are also filled with minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- Maple syrup and honey both have an earthy sweet taste naturally. Therefore, we will use these sweeteners for the healthy blueberry muffins recipe.
- Coconut sugar and white sugar can also be used. However, the ratio of the ingredients might change when using dry sweetener to get the perfect batter consistency. Also, using these sweeteners will increase the sugar content.
- Unsweetened applesauce is an amazing alternative to the sugar and oil parts in healthy muffin recipes. Unsweetened applesauce lowers the heavy oils to light as it is lighter than the regular oil and keeps the muffins super soft and moist. It contains natural sugar; therefore, it is naturally sweet and reduces the sugar quantity for recipes. So you get an intensified tasting without all the added saturated fats.
- Fruit concentrates work well, too, with the muffin recipes. Sweet spices such as cardamom and cinnamon can be added to give that extra tinge of sweetness.
- Fruit puree and sugar are great options if extra sweetness is required for personal taste. Fresh blueberries are sweeter and are the preferred choice for healthy blueberry muffins as they naturally cut down on sugar.
- However, when using alternative sweeteners other than honey and maple syrup, be careful about the ratio of the ingredients.
3.6) The vegetarian Version of Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Eggs can be substituted with flax eggs. Nevertheless, the yogurt part will need modifications if you use flax eggs. It needs to be replaced with a smaller amount of vegan buttermilk (2/3 cup non-dairy milk to be mixed with two teaspoons of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar).
3.7) Baking Soda for Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Baking soda helps the muffins rise. So it is an important ingredient when making healthy blueberry muffins.
- Ensure that the baking soda used for healthy blueberry muffins is fresh and within the expiry date. If the muffins come out flat, they might be due to the usage of expired baking soda.
3.8) Baking Powder
- Any baking powder can be used; aluminum-free baking powder is a good option.
- Baking powder is a baking staple, so you need to check the expiry date on the box before using it in the recipe.
3.9) Vanilla Extract
- Pure vanilla extract adds extra flavor and sweetness to the blueberries and muffins. Feel free to omit the extract if your milk is already vanilla flavored.
3.10) Seasoning for the Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- The seasoning used for the healthy blueberry muffins can be grounded cardamon or finely grated lemon zest. It depends on your taste preference.
3.11) How to Adjust the Batter Consistency for the Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- If you feel that the perfect consistency for muffin batter for healthy recipes has not been accomplished, you can add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed or ground almonds.
- You can also add a tablespoon of chia seeds. Chia seeds will help soak up the batter’s extra moisture and give an absolute consistency.
- A thick batter for muffins gives a taller puffier muffin. An initial high temperature also promotes a good baking process.
- Unsweetened almond milk thins the muffin batter and is a keto diet component. The recipe for the muffins made with almond flour and unsweetened almond milk is different. However, to read easy baking recipes for beginners, click here.
3.12) Equipment for the Blueberry Muffin
- A muffin tin or muffin pan is all you need to make this healthy blueberry muffin recipe.
- If using a muffin pan made with stoneware, preheat them so the muffin batter does not stick or jump to rise as you start the baking process.
- Silicone muffin tin can also be used and does not require cooking oil spraying.
- Be sure to spray the muffin tin with cooking spray before putting it in the muffin batter; unbleached muffin liners can be used too.
- Ice cream scoop, preferably large ones if available at home, can fill the batter into the muffin tin. Do not overfill the batter in the muffin liners.
- Containers and a whisk will be needed for assembling and mixing the batter.
- Let the prepared baked fluffy muffins cool completely before consumption at room temperature.
4. Recipe for Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Let us start with the recipe for healthy blueberry muffins that will be gorged on within minutes.
4.1) Let us get Going!
- The preparation time for this great recipe is 15 minutes, and the cooking time is 20 to 25 minutes.
- Approximately 40 to 45 minutes will be good enough to prepare this baked treat.
- This five stars recipe of healthy blueberry muffins makes 12 absolute mouth-melting, fluffy, jammy, moist, and delicious muffins.
- Whole wheat flour (white whole wheat flour or regular) – 1 3/4 cups plus a tablespoon more
- Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fine Sea Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground Cinamon and Cardamom (Optional) – 1/4 teaspoon (Add only if you like the flavor of the same)
- Extra virgin olive oil or melted coconut oil (whatever is available) – 1/3 cup
- Maple syrup or honey – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2 in number at room temperature
- Greek Yogurt – 1 cup, plain
- Vanilla Extract – 2 teaspoons
- Blueberries – 1 cup fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries
- Raw sugar- For sprinkling over the top of the blueberry muffins before baking.
4.3) Mixing the Ingredients
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add 1 3/4 cups of flour. Add baking soda, baking powder, fine sea salt, and any other seasoned spices as per your taste (it is up to you if you want to add them). Mix these dry ingredients with the help of a whisk.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk the wet ingredients. Start with putting in the olive oil or melted coconut oil and sweetener (whichever you choose or is available – maple syrup or honey). Give these ingredients a good mix. Add the eggs to it, and beat well. Now go with the Greek yogurt and vanilla extract. It is a possibility that coconut oil might solidify when it comes in contact with cold ingredients. If this happens, warm the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Now mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Make a well between the dry ingredients and keep mixing while you pour in the wet ingredients with a big ladle or wooden spoon.
- In a separate bowl, lightly toss the blueberries with flour and gently fold the blueberries into the wet ingredients batter.
- The mixture should be thick in consistency.
4.4) Instructions to make Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the muffin tin or muffin pan by greasing them with butter, cooking spray, or oil. You can use muffin liners too. You can even line the pan with silicone liners, unbleached muffin liners, or parchment liners.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups, fill the muffin tin with an ice cream scoop, and level the batter with a wire. Do not overfill your masterful healthy muffin cups as they would start oozing from the top, leaving behind flat muffins.
- Sprinkle the muffin batter with raw sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 22 minutes or if in doubt, bake them until you get a perfect golden top. Baking time can be increased if you feel that the muffins are not completely baked.
- Inserting a toothpick can also check if the muffins are perfectly baked. If the toothpick comes out clean, that means the muffins are ready.
- Put the muffin pan to cool completely, or they might deform and fall apart.
- Ta-da! your five stars healthy blueberry muffins are ready to be served.
4.5 Serving the Muffins
You can serve healthy blueberry muffins in many ways. The topping adds a fun twist to the muffins, making them tastier and richer.
- A crumbled top with sprinkled sugar is ideal for eating if you want to indulge in a healthy dessert. Healthy blueberry muffins or mini muffins can be topped with jams, almond butter, peanut butter, or even regular butter.
- Homemade whipped cream, coconut whipped cream, chopped berries, frozen berries, and dashes of maple syrup! There are numerous ways to make these mini treats relishing and presentable.
- Brown sugar goes well with whole wheat flour blueberry muffins and gives a perfect crumbled top. Maybe the sweetness is increased in bits due to adding this.
5. Innovative Ways to Use Leftover Muffins
Leftover muffins can be sliced into halves and toasted in an oven or toaster.
6. Storing the Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Leftover muffins can be stored by wrapping them individually in plastic and placing them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze muffins for 3 to 4 months.
You can store your favorite homemade blueberry muffins at room temperature in a jar, but that would last for only two days.
7. Nutritional Serving per piece for Healthy Blueberry Muffins
This is approximate information for nutritional serving:
- Calories – 165kcal
- Carbohydrates – 26g
- Fat- 6g
- Protein- 5.1g
- Saturated Fat – 3g
- Cholesterol – 35mg
- Sugar – 12g
- Fiber – 2g
8. Possible Reasons Why Blueberry Muffins come out Flat
- The oven is not heated properly, and you have rushed the baking process.
- An expired baking soda, baking powder, or damp ingredients are used in the preparation.
9. Healthy Muffin Recipes can also be Prepared with These Ingredients
Healthy baking recipes are the need of the hour, and if they are gluten-free or dairy-free, it adds a bonus to the healthful factor. There are a lot of blueberry muffins recipes that require simple changes of ingredients to give delicious muffins.
- Coconut flour muffins – Coconut flour muffins taste superb with high protein and fiber content. Coconut flour is grain-free, gluten-free, low in carbs, and keto friendly. That will give you enough reasons to bake these muffins after the fresh blueberry muffins are prepared with whole wheat flour.
- Almond flour muffins – Almond flour is another choice. It adds a nutty and sweet taste to the blueberry muffins. It is also healthy and gluten-free, so maybe next time, you can try almond flour blueberry muffins. Almond milk added to these muffins makes them keto-friendly and low-carb. Almond flour can be substituted for whole wheat flour at a 1:1 ratio, but eggs may be required in more quantity to bind the ingredients well.
- Oatmeal flour muffins – Oatmeal and oat flour can be used to make blueberry oatmeal and blueberry oat muffins. However, oats and oat flour are dry ingredients, and oatmeal is a wet ingredient. Loaded with the goodness of oats, nutritionally and texture-wise, the blueberry oatmeal muffins do not need heaps of melted butter, but just any oil will do.
- Gluten-free flour blend can also be used to make delectable blueberry oatmeal muffins. If you do not have oat flour for blueberry oatmeal muffins, you can blend regular oats till they get a flour-like texture. By doing this, you will get homemade oat flour within minutes.
- Using half white whole wheat flour and half oat flour as the ratio is also possible, and the texture is amazing. Add oat milk to make your healthy blueberry oatmeal muffins dairy-free.
10. Summing Up on the Healthy Blueberry Muffins Recipe + Additional Tips
- You may also try banana muffins, lemon blueberry muffins, chocolate chip muffins, muffins with mixed berries, muffins with frozen berries, muffins with dry fruits and nuts, and mini muffins.
- You can add frozen mixed berries instead of fresh blueberries. It gives the same relishing taste.
- You may also top the healthy blueberry muffins with brown sugar for that perfect crumbled top. Olive oil, fresh blueberries, and Greek Yogurt are the preferred choices for toppings for this recipe.
- Unlike the normal muffin recipes, this homemade blueberry muffin recipe is five stars yielding healthy and is only super fast, simple, and effortless to prepare. They are light on fat and refined sugar and are packed with the goodness of fresh blueberries, besides being fully flavored for the sweet tooth.
My love for writing content on varied subjects is incessant and, I am into writing poetry also. I have won many poetry contests both national and international. My poetries are also a part of 8 recognized anthologies. I love to travel and I am a big foodie. I love nature because of which I can develop varied imagery. Writing is my passion and I can deal with workloads too.