This article brings to your notice some Fun questions to ask kids. Many of us love to be around kids. It is something about their mischievousness as well as innocence that adults like.
However, it gets challenging to talk to children as we cannot relate to their world and run out of topics.
Top Fun Questions To Ask Kids
The following sections will give you some fantastic ways to start conversations with kids and keep them interesting.
1. Conversation Starters For Young Children
Starting a conversation with young children might be extremely difficult. You can begin by saying a simple ‘hello.’ Here are some questions that can be great conversation starters:
- You can offer a bar of chocolate and ask them if they want it. Also, make sure that you know the kid before you provide a bar of chocolate to them. Many parents do not appreciate a stranger offering any consumable item to their kid.
- You can ask their name, age and what class they study in.
- You can begin with appreciating how cute or beautiful they are—young children like being appreciated and become more friendly towards adults who talk to them with affection.
- Introduce yourself to them. If you meet the child for the first time, let them know who you are: aunt, uncle, their mom, or dad’s friend.
- You can also talk about their favorite color and tell them that it’s your favorite too. You can repeat this with a few other things like a favorite animal or drink.
- If you see them holding a toy in their hand [which many kids do], you can start the conversation by asking if it is their favorite toy.
2. Funny Questions That You Can Ask Younger Kids To Keep The Conversation Going
Young kids love being asked weird things. A funny question often seems to think about and answered at that age. You can ask the following questions during your question-answer round with young kids:
- What is the funniest thing that you have ever seen?
- What is the craziest thing that you ever want to do in your life?
- What would you do if you had a million dollars?
- Would you wear wet clothes and dance if you were told to get your favorite ice cream to do so?
- How many stars are there in the sky? Can you count them and tell me?
- If a genie asked you your top three wishes, what would they be?
It is guaranteed that you will get some very innovative and funny answers to these questions.
3. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Talk About Their Favorite Movie
Many children find comfort in movies and TV shows at a very young age. Here are a few questions about their favorite TV show and movie that you can ask?
- Have you watched [your favorite movie]?
- Which cartoon character do you like the most? Why?
- How many hours in a day do you spend watching television?
- Would you want to create a TV character of your own?
- If you were in [a movie character]’s place, what would you do in this situation?
- If you were a cartoon, how would you look?
- What is the funniest sound you have ever heard in a cartoon show?
You can also ask them what attributes of a hero in a movie or TV show make up a ‘good hero.’ Asking such questions will force the child to think about new topics and give out good answers.
You can further build up the conversation by asking them if they want to work in a movie or write a film.
4. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Favorite Subject, School Projects And Best Friend
School and friends are the two things that are central to a child’s life. You can ask questions about their school project or what happened in school today. You might also want to ask the child the name of their best friend.
Here are some fun questions to ask kids that are related to the school:
- How often do you bunk classes?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- Which subject do you like to study the most?
- Do you know the difference between a good friend and a fake friend? How would you identify it?
- Do you like math?
- Would you like to show us your school project?
- Does your school take up extracurricular activities?
- Do you play a sport? Are you selected for your school team?
To keep the conversation going, you can ask several other questions about their subjects and curriculum, what they like about their school, and what they don’t.
5. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Crack Funny Jokes And Ask More Riddles
Riddles and funny questions often fascinate young children. Here are a few funny riddle questions as kids:
- Which pan cannot cook food? Japan.
- What do clouds wear? Thunderwear.
- Why can’t your nose be 12 inches long? Because then, it will be your foot.
- Why can’t a leopard hide? Because he is always spotted.
- What do you call men waiting outside a barber’s shop for a haircut? Barbecue.
- Can February March? No, but April May.
- What did the triangle say to the circle? You are pointless.
- What kind of emotion does the nose feel? Nostalgia.
These fun puns and riddles will surely help you hold funny and interesting conversations with kids. Kids who are mature too like such riddles.
6. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Ask Them About Their Holidays and Trips
Many kids nowadays like to travel. You can build a conversation by asking them about their favorite holiday destination. You can also ask them what their favorite thing to do on holiday is.
Some kids would say that they love to be on their toes, visit new places and write about it, whereas others would say that holidays are more like leisure time; they relax or fall asleep most of the time.
You can also ask if they would like to go on vacations and tours with their family or friends. Their statements build more exciting questions and keep the conversation going.
There are a few other fun questions to ask kids about their holidays or tours:
- Which is your favorite season? Would you stay home or go around exploring the environment during this time?
- What is that one thing you’ll avoid during your holidays?
- What are the most important things you would take in your bag if you go to a beach for your vacation?
- Would you feel homesick if you were sent somewhere far from home for two or three months?
- How many days can you stay away from your parents? Would you want to go on a long vacation without your parents?
- Do you like going to the amusement park while on vacation, or are you more of a beach person?
7. Thoughtful Questions To Ask Older Kids
Teen Kids are generally mature, and asking them funny questions might not always work. Here are some thoughtful questions about their daily lives that can be asked:
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- Which among these is your favorite outfit? Would you choose fashion over comfort?
- Which is your favorite song? What makes it so unique?
- What is the terrifying dream that you have ever seen?
- What is the best dream that you have ever seen?
- Would you watch a horror film if you knew it is based on a true story?
- What is the most fun thing that you do during your school day?
- Will you teach me how to play this video game?
- What is the silliest thing that you have heard from an adult? Why do you think that it is ridiculous?
- What is the best thing that you learned in class today?
- What is your biggest dream? How are you planning to achieve your goals?
- Do you like to go outdoors and play or stay inside?
Some kids who are nearly adults would want to talk about their careers. They might also have questions regarding the same. You can build an interesting conversation with these children by asking them fun questions about their plans.
8. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Build A Conversation Related to Their Food Habits
Food is something that nobody can live without. This section will highlight some food-related questions that you can ask kids.
8.1 About Their Favorites
You can engage kids in a conversation by asking them their favorite snack, favorite dessert, and other favorites related to food.
You can also ask about that particular food item or cuisine they love the most. You can play games related to food too.
You can name various continental cuisines and ask them which food item they like the most in that particular cuisine. At the same time, you can give hints about a food item and tell them to guess it.
8.2 About Habits That They Should Improve
Many kids have bad food habits like eating junk or unhealthy food. You can ask them questions related to their food habits.
You can ask them questions that investigate their food habits [how often they eat junk food]. You can also ask questions like, “Do you think this is healthy for you?”
You can further add a game where you ask for the best solutions for improving their food habits and lifestyle. This will help them realize that they have normalized an unhealthy lifestyle.
In the end, you can also tell them to read about what food is healthy and what is not. You might want to ask them if they’re going to make a timetable or a plan with a properly balanced diet.
9. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Ask Them About Their Inspiration
Teenagers like to have conversations related to the world. You can talk about any famous person [a businessman, artist or actor] to them. They would love to give their inputs on what they feel about them.
You can also continue the conversation by asking them their inspiration. Old kids often like to talk about people who inspire them. Please make sure that you do not ask silly questions in the middle of a mature conversation just to make it funny.
Teenagers are at an age where they are confused, yet they think that they have all the worldly knowledge that even adults don’t. Hence, asking them silly questions might irritate them, and your conversation might end up as a disaster.
10. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Let Them Brainstorm
Dive into the child’s curiosity. This simply means start knowing more about what the child knows and what more they want to know.
You can ask fun brainstorming questions. Here are a few fun questions to ask kids who are curious:
- What is that one thing that you would do if you had a time machine and why? Would you go back in time and see your past, or would you fast forward time?
- Who would you call first if you fell in some big trouble today?
- Do you think there can be a new planet for us to live on? Can we as humans create one?
- Who is your favorite TV character, and what in them inspires you? Would you want to create your fictional character someday?
- According to you, what are the basic things essential for humanity to survive?
Nowadays, children have a variety of subjects in their school curriculum, which often includes activities like music and dance and new concepts like entrepreneurship.
Moreover, children at a very young age get to explore new opportunities and have a lot of competition to take care of. In a world where people do not walk but run, children need to know about their surroundings and innovative solutions to new problems.
Here are some fun questions to ask kids that are related to general knowledge:
- You can ask about the prime minister, president and other ministers of different countries.
- Ask children about essential dates in history. For example, independence day, republic day, mother’s day, and the list goes on.
- You can also talk about social issues around you and ask them their views on a particular topic. In this case, you must be responsible and ensure that the children are mature enough to understand your questions.
- You can discuss various countries, their national flags, emblems, and capitals.
- You can ask questions related to world geography; rivers, plains, types of rocks, and atmosphere.
While asking questions related to general knowledge, we must make sure that we ask questions appropriate to the child’s age. Sometimes, knowing that they have too little knowledge may demotivate children.
Also, as responsible people, we must not give them wrong answers to the questions or be biased towards social issues. Subjective opinions might not allow the child to have their own opinions and solutions.
11. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Get In A Conversation Where You See Kids Talking
If you see a group of kids playing and talking to each other and you eagerly want to go and talk to them, what would you do? You can go to them and talk to them.
You can get into a group of kids and play with them, but make sure that you make them feel comfortable enough. While many kids might not like to talk to adults, some others would be interested in having a conversation with you.
12. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: This Or That Questions For Kids
1. This Or That
This or That is a fun game that most kids love to play. The following are some fun ‘What would you rather do’ questions to ask kids while playing This or That:
- Would you rather drink milk with egg in it or eat a pizza with pineapple on it?
- Would you rather participate in an impromptu singing competition or a surprise dance contest?
- Would you rather go to the past or see your future?
- Would you rather speak to animals or read the minds of humans?
- Would you rather meet Spiderman or Batman?
- Would you rather call someone or just text because you are too lazy to call?
What Would You Rather Do On Your Birthday Questions
You can even add ‘what would you instead do’ questions in the context of the kid’s birthday. Some interesting birthday questions are:
- Would you instead celebrate your 18th birthday with your close ones or throw a huge party?
- Would you rather eat a regular chocolate cake or an ice-cream cake on your birthday?
- Would you rather dance to slow songs or fast songs?
- Instead, would you organize a party yourself or want your friends to organize a surprise for you?
- Instead, would you dress up as a Disney princess/prince or wear comfortable clothes?
These ‘what would you instead do’ questions also help you know the kids better. You understand their choices, which may help you decide what gift to get for the child according to their preference.
13. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Video Games
Kids, old or young, often love playing video games. Video games might train you in some skills and harm you in many ways. Sometimes the damage that video games cause to children is irreversible.
At a very young age, children get addicted to mobile phones, television, and other electronic media available all around us. Video games affect a child’s brain and decrease their ability to focus.
This reduced attention often leads to the child’s poor performance in their exams, ultimately reducing confidence.
Parents, siblings, and relatives often find it very difficult to hold a conversation on this topic. It is challenging to separate video games from kids who are almost addicted to them.
However, having this conversation and reducing the child’s screen time is very important. Here are a few questions that will help you build a calm discussion with a kid who is not ready to reduce his screen time:
- How many hours do you use your phone every day? Don’t you think it is not that healthy?
- You can calmly explain to them the ill effects of electronic media. You can begin by asking them if they know how it affects the brain.
- You can ask them if they want to make a timetable and add a separate time for playing video games and using their phone or laptop. You must first convince them that it will help them get sufficient time to take a break and use their phone.
While having such conversations with kids, it is vital to be calm and understand the ill effects.
Moreover, you can keep rewards every time they correctly follow their timetable. This will give motivation to them, especially if they are very young.
14. Fun Questions To Ask Kids On The Dinner Table
Building dinner table conversations are probably the toughest. You often end up staring at the child’s face and making it awkward for everyone on the table.
Here are a few interesting questions that you can ask:
- If the kid is young, you can ask what they want to become in the future. You can simply ask older kids what their career plans are.
- You can talk about the food; you can ask if the food tastes good or not, what their favorite dish is, what cuisines they like to eat, and the list is endless.
- You can also ask the children at the dinner table: Things that happened in school today, their daily routine, or how their day was.
- If you are meeting a kid for the first time, you can ask the kid if comfortable.
- You can also tell the kids not to be shy and eat as much as they want.
Dinner table conversation, however, is not the toughest to build up. The following section talks about something that parents find even more tough to talk about.
Other than these questions, you can ask some general questions about their favorite games, songs, and hobbies.
15. Fun Questions To Ask Kids: Keep A Check On Their Mental Health
This might not sound fun, but we must make mental health a fun topic to talk about as responsible people. This is important because several students go through complex mental health issues and never speak about them.
Conversing with young children and teens about their mental state is essential. Here are a few questions to ask if you want to know about a child’s mental health:
- What time of the day do you feel depressed?
- Do you think that life is meaningless? Why?
- Do you know what depression and anxiety mean? Would you know how to differentiate between the two?
- Who will you go to if you feel unhappy or upset?
- Do you talk to your parents or friends about your feelings?
- How well do you take failures? Do you think everything in this world will end the day you fail?
- Do you feel stressed with your studies? Why?
- Does your school give you too much homework?
- Do you know what ‘bullying’ means?
- Do any of your friends bully you at school? Do any of the teachers trouble you for no reason?
- Does anybody around you behave inappropriately with you?
- Do you ever feel ashamed of yourself for no reason?
- What would you want to do in your free time?
- Do you think you can manage your time correctly? Do you need any help in setting up the timetable?
Positive comments and help must follow the answer to these statements. Today, a child’s mental state is being affected due to several environmental factors, including studies, peer pressure, bullying, and the list.
In such a situation, it is essential to ask your children and talk about what is going around them. It is critical to understand their silences and give them medical or psychological help when required.
These fun questions to ask kids of various ages will help you build great conversations with children. You can ask questions related to a variety of topics.