Canberra is the national capital of Australia, and this article will throw light on everything that you should know before visiting this beautiful place.
Canberra is located in the Southern region of the nation. The federal capital is located 150 miles away from the famous city of Sydney. It is a wonderful place to visit and explore with your family or friends. If you are a student who is interested in critical analysis of history, you must not miss out on this one!
Before knowing about the capital of Australia, let us explore a few amazing facts about this wonderful country:
- Australia is one of the places where the oldest remains of early humans were found. Moreover, the Australian culture is one of the oldest cultures to have existed on our planet.
- Australia is a country primarily known for its beaches. 85% of Australians live in coastal areas.
- Tasmania, one of Australia’s most prepossessing tourist spots, is said to have the cleanest air in the world. Its air quality is often compared to Antarctica’s air quality.
- You will be pleasantly surprised to know that you can visit the world’s largest ecosystems in the world in Australia as a tourist. It is popularly known as the ‘Green Barrier Reef.’
- One of the specialties of Australia is its wine; there are around 60 regions in Australia that provide the best wine in the world.
- Uluru in Australia is famous because of the existence of its tribal population. UNESCO included this incredible place in the list of World Heritage sites not only once but twice!
- The best thing that you would experience in Australia is its awesome wildlife. You can find several new species of flora and fauna present here.
Geographically, the commonwealth of Australia is quite complex. This nation contains six states and two separate territories. Due to this complexity, it is often believed that Sydney is the capital of the nation.
After several debates and discussions, it was decided that Sydney is not the capital of Australia. The first section of this article will explore the reasons behind this decision.
Capital Of Australia: 7 Top Things To Know
Here is a list of things that you should know before you visit the capital city of Australia:
1. Why is Canberra Considered The Capital?
The division of Australia into small states often confuses people. Each state has a capital. Three famous capital cities include Sydney, Melbourne, and Canberra. Why is Canberra considered the federal capital and not Sydney or Melbourne?
There is one region in Australia that is known as ACT that is the Australian Capital Territory. Canberra belongs to this region of Southeastern Australia while the other two cities do not. The Australian Capital Territory is one of the most significant regions in this nation. Moreover, Canberra lies on both sides of the famous Molonglo river, giving it some geographical and historical importance.
Here are some amazing facts about the development and history of the capital of Australia, Canberra:
- Canberra was historically a settlement for stockmen.
- There was a small confusion with the name; some people called it Canberry while others called it Canbury. Finally, by 1836 it was named Canberra.
- There was a worldwide competition held to form a design for the newly announced capital of Australia.
- The American architect Walter Burley Griffin won this competition.
- Even though the development began according to Griffin’s given plan, it was interrupted by the First World War.
- The federal parliament was officially transferred from Melbourne to Canberra on 9th May 1927. Huge ceremonies were held to celebrate this event.
2. Things To Do For Free At Canberra
Here are a few places that you can visit for free in Canberra :
- You can spend a refreshing morning at the Royal Australian Mind for free. This place is very special as it displays the process of making Australian coins.
- The Lennox garden is a very family-friendly place.
- Are you interested in the works of flourishing artists? In that case, you cannot miss out on the Canberra glassworks. This place has a range of designs prepared by local artists displayed.
- If you are a fan of gardens and plant biology, you must visit the Australian National Botanical garden. You can take a refreshing walk in the garden while you are trying to study the wide range of plants.
- The national museum is the next place that you can visit in the capital of Australia for free. You can witness a range of amazing exhibitions that show the charm of the Australian past, present, and possibility of its future.
- The individuals interested in history should visit the National Archive Of Australia. You can learn a lot about the history of the country here.
- Artists interested in learning about portraits and drawings should not miss out on the National Portrait Gallery. There are several portraits of prominent artists that have been displayed here.
- Another fascinating place to explore in the capital of Australia is the National Film and Sound Archive. The visual and audio heritage is systematically presented here.
This list clearly gives us an idea of how abundant Canberra as a city is. From glassworks and historical items to portraits and films, Canberra has everything to offer. The best thing is that you can explore so many things here that are totally free.
3. Some Amazing Facts About The Capital Of Australia
Here are a few lesser-known facts about the capital of Australia that you should know:
The 3 Sister Cities Of The Capital Of Australia
Canberra has three cities that are known as its sisters.
Wellington, Nara, and Beijing are the three sister cities of Canberra. This relationship has become very important for the rich culture of Canberra. The capital of Australia hosts the famous Nara Candle Festival in Peace park.
If you go to this amazing event, you can have an entertaining evening full of cultural performances and delicious food stalls.
The Name Of The Place
Canberra, known as the capital of Australia, is also known as the Bush capital. This nickname is given to Canberra because it has a lot of flora and fauna in abundance.
The term Canberra also means ‘meeting place.’ It was historically a meeting place for stockmen and, before that, for hunter-gatherers.
NASA Base At Canberra
Canberra has a NASA base which is one of the three stations in the whole world. This station provides a two-way radio contact with the spacecraft. The other two NASA stations are based in Madrid and California.
Suburbs At Canberra
The suburbs at Canberra are named after its ex-prime ministers, namely Hughes, Fisher, Washman, Cook, and Fadden. This is one thing that makes Canberra suburbs so unique. This gesture shows how much the people of Canberra respect their leaders.
4. Best Breweries In The Capital Of Australia
The breweries and distillers of Canberra are very famous. Over the years, these two industries have developed incredibly. Here are a few amazing breweries to visit in Canberra.
BentSpoke Brewing Company
This brewery has won several awards for its excellence. It was ranked number 3 by Crankshaft India Pale Ale.
Pact Beer Co.
Pact Beer Co. offers some of the most incredible and exclusive flavors. They have an amazing range of Australian beers that are award-winning. Some of these wines are smooth and suitable for your taste.
The cold-brew coffee vodka of this incredible brewery is something that tourists love.
5. Hot Air Balloon Ride
You will be surprised to know that the capital of Australia is one of the places where you can try the hot air balloon ride. The love for this activity has benefitted the economy of the nation too!
The open skies of Canberra are so scenic that you cannot resist this amazing ride. Tourists in Canberra can often witness beautiful and huge balloons floating in the sky.
6. Wineries At Canberra
Not only the breweries but also the wineries in this place are incredible. Wine is popular all over Australia. Here are a few awesome wineries to explore in the capital of Australia:
This winery in Canberra offers several flavors. These flavors are old-world yet have some innovation. Wine-lovers must not miss out on the flavors that exclusively belong to this nation.
Helm Wines provide some of the best wines in this region. The descendants of German Vignors established this winery.
Eden Road Wines
Eden Road Wines provides some of the best contemporary wines in this region. This boutique company is also considered the future of wineries.
7. Unmissable Things To Do In The Capital Of Australia
Here are a few things that you must-do if you visit Canberra. These things are surely worth your time and money:
A Visit To Lake Burley Griffin
Lake Burley Griffin is located at the heart of Canberra and is one of the most beautiful places to explore. It is surrounded by many museums and galleries that are a must-visit.
There are some amazing cafes and restaurants here that you would want to try. The specialty of this place is its beauty and abundance of personal space. You can go around for a walk all around the park.
Paddle boating is another famous activity that you can try at Burley Griffin Lake. Many tourists come here especially to spend time with their families. You can enjoy a beautiful ride on eco-friendly electric boats and then find a perfect restaurant for lunch.
Aussie Animals: The Most Beautiful Thing To Witness
The Tidbinbilla nature reserve is one of the best places to visit when you watch Aussie animals. Some of the exceptional animals found here are:
After watching these wonderful creatures, you can go for a walk to the nearby mountains and enjoy the beautiful scenery that this place has to offer.
Shopping In The Capital Of Australia
Many people worldwide prioritize shopping over traveling. If you are one of them, you must visit the best specialty stores and markets in Canberra.
The following is a list of the best shopping places in Canberra:
- The capital region farmer’s market is the best place to visit if you want to buy some fresh fruits and veggies.
- The Haig Park Village Market offers some fresh food and beautiful flowers, and handcrafted goodies every Sunday.
- KIN Gallery is one of the best shops specialized in bespoke jewelry.
- Quizzic Alley Shop in Canberra is famous for its Harry Porter theme. Kids and teenagers are very fond of this place.
- Muse bookstore is an amazing place that offers a variety of books. You can also enjoy a nice glass of wine at this place while browsing for your favorite books.
Restaurants In Canberra
Food is very important when you visit a new place. If you want to try some delicious food items exclusive to the capital of Australia, here are a few restaurants that you must try:
- Tippsy Bull
- Courgette Restaurant
These five restaurants have a lot of different types of dishes to offer. The ambiance of these restaurants is extremely impressive.
Some Indian restaurants in Canberra that you can try:
- Delhi To Canberra
- Spice Affair Indian Cuisine
- Ramas Fiji Indian Restaurants
- Jewel Of India
Delicious, Local Food Of The Australian Capital Territory
Australian cuisine is one of the most delicious cuisines worldwide. Here are a few tasty dishes to try when you visit the capital of Australia:
1. Wittchetty Grubs:
Indigenous Australians have enjoyed this dish for an exceedingly long time. People often find this nutty flavor dish raw and struggle at chewing it. Nonetheless, this dish is one of the tastiest Australian dishes.
The damper is one of the cheapest Australian dishes that you can try. It is an iconic dish with several unique ingredients, namely, bread, soda, and water. The damper is generally baked in the coals of a campfire.
It is often enjoyed with a small cup of tea or, even better, rum. You can easily learn this recipe and even prepare it for your family when you return home.
Lamingtons, also known as the National Cake of Australia, is a sponge cake coated with chocolate icing. Many times, people even add a layer of coconut along with a layer of cream and jam.
Visiting a place like Canberra, Australia, will surely be an amazing experience. This is because, as a city, Canberra has a lot of things to offer.
The variety of things that the capital of Australia can offer is probably the reason so many tourists like to visit this place. This is why as responsible tourists, we must maintain the cleanliness of the place and follow the rules properly.
We should understand that if we get to enjoy ourselves in the capital of Australia, we must keep it the same way for other tourists to enjoy it too!